BIG NINE BANQUET

Stokomo

Congrats to the players that were chosen,as usual just like in football, players that should have been nominated are not.If you looked at the sports page the next day after games you see the same pictures of the same players all the time.The Williams kid should have been the mvp in the district IMO.Typical Kingsport no matter who is nominating.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I remember the 1988 Arby's Classic won by Coach Van Huss' Indians and Hunter Halliburton was left off the all-tournament team after having a dominating defensive and very effective offensive tournament...Coach Van Huss was livid and I had never heard him say a word before or after about such things...many people who saw the tournament thought he could and should be MVP...but the people who selected the team left him off...didn't bother him he completed a great season and helped Coach Van Huss make it to the state tournament for the last time...Hunter knows how he performed...

...and as Coach Van Huss used to say, "if you are more worried about seeing your name in the paper than helping the team be better, then there are plenty of individual things that you can participate in at D-B...but basketball is a team game and it is about the collective group of players playing together for one goal"...guarantee Stokomo and many others have heard that, or something very close to that many times...

I got a better one Skunk. In 1986...Sullivan North won the Arby's Classic and we (DB) only lost to them by four in the Semis. We won the third place game and NOONE from DB was selected to the All-Tourney Team. That next week in practice and for the rest of the season, Coach VanHuss never said one word about his players getting snubbed. Onto the Regional tourney....Daniel Boone was in the IMAC at the time and we lost to them at Hal Henard by 11. That game hurt FAR worse than a snub of the Arby's Classic. SOOOOOO.......Jamel Williams and Coach Morgan, in my eyes, did deserve the awards. BUT!!!! Coach Dyer also was deserving and I believe it was for his overall contribution to the Big Nine and the fact that they were not picked to do nearly as well as they did. If you think that Jamel and Coach Morgan really care about those awards, ask them if they would trade it for the feeling they will have come Thursday playing in the Boro......I serioulsy doubt it......GOD Bless!!!!!

PS.....I was listening to ESPN on the Monster one afternoon, and they asked a question that seems to fit ANY TEAM SPORT......... "Can you name the last five MVP's of their respective sports that also won their sport's championship in the same year?" After you think long and hard about it, you will see that it definately is a TEAM sport and individual accolades are nice but not a team goal. Sorry, but this last illustration involves Coach Dyer and East.......My senior year, we won the conference and East finish close to, if not, in last place. The Big Nine MVP that year was East's Eric Mason? or Madison? Anyway.....he DID deserve the MVP that year. Recently we have gotten away from the overall BEST player no matter what and think we HAVE to award it to a TEAM's player from the top or near the top. IF you need further therapy, please reread Skunk's posts. Hey CAP....I totally agree with you on Jamel and Coach Morgan (Co-Coach of the Year at least).

I believe it was 1985 that Sullivan North won the Arby??™s (arguably the weakest field of teams in Arby??™s Classic history). The top five places went to local teams. 1st to North, 2nd to THS, 3rd to DB, 4th to Greeneville, and 5th to MoWest. But you were right??¦even with the third place finish DB had no representation on the All Tournament Team were as North, THS, Greenville, and MoWest were represented??¦.hummmmmm??¦strange. However the following year DB had the strongest performance of all the local teams with a 3rd place finish, and placing two on the All Tournament Team??¦ Bob Manis and a fella by the name of Henry Stokely. Does that name ring a bell? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree. The media people that I know and speak with on a daily basis hold past grudges with DB before Coach Morgan's time and just won't get over it. I don't understand what their deal is but it's just how they feel and refuse to change their way of thinking. And yes it is very pathetic.

I think I know exactly where the "hate" factor comes in. In the sports world, people just love to hate a winner. Look at the NY Yankees, the New England Patriots, the Dallas Cowboys of the 80's or the Cincinnati Reds of the 70's. People love to hate a program that has dominated over many years. I have been guilty of it myself.

But on a positive note, there is no one I know more deserving of a lifetime acheivement award than Coach Dickie Warren. He is a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

I believe it was 1985 that Sullivan North won the Arby??™s (arguably the weakest field of teams in Arby??™s Classic history). The top five places went to local teams. 1st to North, 2nd to THS, 3rd to DB, 4th to Greeneville, and 5th to MoWest. But you were right??¦even with the third place finish DB had no representation on the All Tournament Team were as North, THS, Greenville, and MoWest were represented??¦.hummmmmm??¦strange. However the following year DB had the strongest performance of all the local teams with a 3rd place finish, and placing two on the All Tournament Team??¦ Bob Manis and a fella by the name of Henry Stokely. Does that name ring a bell? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CAP.... you are exactly right. I keep getting my years mixed up, something I always used to blame my parents for. And they told me it would happen to me. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Anyway....those were great years to be a player, as they are now....but back in the day, players took more to tradition. I remember the past players of Bruce Tranbarger, Rodney Blye, Ron Livesay, Tommy Henry, Lee Garber, Mark Elliott, Tom Taylor, Skunk /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" , and Skip Brown to name a few that I looked up to and their way of loving the game was passed down to let each generation know just what kind of dedication is needed to reach a certain level of success. I look at the God-Given athletic ability of these kids today and wonder what they could really be if they put down the Wii's, Play Stations, and XBOX's and, Buck's favorite "uh, uh... leave dem' girls alone." We have to be "politically correct" and guard against lawsuits in this day and age, but I remember when players were the last ones out of the gym on a regular basis and coach told them to "lock-up" before they left, just so they could get an extra 500-1000 shots in per day. I also remember, and this might sound crazy to you young guns, when it would snow several inches and have a couple inches of ice below but we would shovel off the outside court and play in the FRIGID temperatures. Heck...you can't find kids snow-ball fighting these days in the cold. They're too busy playing the Winter X games on their GameBoy. Not all...but most!!! GOD Bless and good luck this weekend!!!!!