Claiborne County will get new coach next season? Who?

cgpf22

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this weekend that Claiborne will get a new coach by next season? This is due to the many problems that have and continue to surround the program. Are there any coaches being considered?

I'm not sure who is being considered, but I certainly hope much more thought and effort go into finding someone who can not only coach, but can communicate much better with high school girls. I think the decision last year to hire Cook was unadvised and was made with very little thought in regards to her recent history at Union Co. There were much more qualified applicants that sent resumes last year, but unfortunately the good ole boy system took over and none of them were seriously considered for even the final three. After seeing the error of their ways, I truly hope the board takes into consideration applicants outside the immediate area as well as those within and decide on the coach that will best represent not only the team and the school, but more importantly the girls on the team. I feel that the decision last year was made more as a parting shot to the former coach by the AD at the time more than it was as a sound hiring decision. Please consider the girls this year when making your decision, they are the ones who suffered.

There seems to be some validity to this rumor.

More good news: If a new coach is hired, at least one of the key players that did not play this past season told me this week that she will return to CHS next year and play. Everyone is waiting to see if it actually happens and who it will be though.

The team tried their best given the turmoil, and to a large degree overachieved late in the season. Hopefully that was a one time deal and going forward things will get back on track for everyone concerned.

There seems to be some validity to this rumor.

More good news: If a new coach is hired, at least one of the key players that did not play this past season told me this week that she will return to CHS next year and play. Everyone is waiting to see if it actually happens and who it will be though.

The team tried their best given the turmoil, and to a large degree overachieved late in the season. Hopefully that was a one time deal and going forward things will get back on track for everyone concerned.

i think it's about time everyone gets off of coach cook's back and realizes the real problem. harville is a horrible coach. get rid of the truly horrible coach and leave cook alone.

i think it's about time everyone gets off of coach cook's back and realizes the real problem. harville is a horrible coach. get rid of the truly horrible coach and leave cook alone.

You have got to be kidding me!! Cook is the worst thing that has ever happened to CHS or Union Co. for that matter. I think you might need to crawl from underneath the rock you've been hiding under and smell the coffee, she's a sorry excuse for a "coach" and I use that term very lightly when speaking of her. I truly hope someone who really deserves to be there is hired and returns the program back to its winning ways quickly.

Sorry that you seem so very bitter and angry.(This can only be hurtful to you.)

Every coach has non-supporters, but I don't believe that you are viewing the situation clearly.

Coach Cook had several successful years at SMMS in Claiborne Co. with six County Championships and an AAU sub-state title.( ? winning ways) She improved a basically winless Union Co. team to 11 wins in a season.(?winning ways) The new coach there has continued to improve them with several district games played within striking distance , though overall had less wins than Coach Cook. This year she brought a team through some early adversity , yet consistently improved them to runner-up in the district.(?winning ways)

Most observers have a totally opposite viewpoint than yours of a coach who guided a team to district runner-up and won co-coach of the year.

Sorry that you seem so very bitter and angry.(This can only be hurtful to you.)

Every coach has non-supporters, but I don't believe that you are viewing the situation clearly.

Coach Cook had several successful years at SMMS in Claiborne Co. with six County Championships and an AAU sub-state title.( ? winning ways) She improved a basically winless Union Co. team to 11 wins in a season.(?winning ways) The new coach there has continued to improve them with several district games played within striking distance , though overall had less wins than Coach Cook. This year she brought a team through some early adversity , yet consistently improved them to runner-up in the district.(?winning ways)

Most observers have a totally opposite viewpoint than yours of a coach who guided a team to district runner-up and won co-coach of the year.

Claiborne is a program whose players and fans are not content on just reaching district championship games. They are use to winning records (over 20 plus per season). They have won more district titles than any other district 2AA team in the last 10 years. I think that you would agree that Under Coach Parky they were one of the top programs in the state. I believe that he was Coach of the Year 8 out of the last 10 years. You can in no way compare Union Co. and Claiborne programs. You cannot in no way compare Coach Cook to him. Coach Harville has had a great career also. You cannot judge him by the last season. You also cannot compare him to Coach Cook. It like comparing oranges to apples. Cook's records and actions at Union Co. and now at Claiborne stands for themselves.

Claiborne simply didnt have the players to compete this year. They played hard, and seemed to be pretty well coached, but beyond the one outstanding player, they didnt have the skill level that the prior years' teams had. The reason they made the D2 title game is that D2 was down this year. Had CHS been in GP or PF's bracket in the district, they would have been eliminated in the semis. When that many skilled players quit the team, from various classes (Rosenbaum-Sr/Hall-Soph etc) something is amiss. Coach Cook obviously had success at the middle school level, but high school is different. You cannot treat high school kids like you treat middle school kids. I know nothing of the interworkings here. Just an outside observer who has seen what they put on the court from 06-08.

Claiborne simply didnt have the players to compete this year. They played hard, and seemed to be pretty well coached, but beyond the one outstanding player, they didnt have the skill level that the prior years' teams had. The reason they made the D2 title game is that D2 was down this year. Had CHS been in GP or PF's bracket in the district, they would have been eliminated in the semis. When that many skilled players quit the team, from various classes (Rosenbaum-Sr/Hall-Soph etc) something is amiss. Coach Cook obviously had success at the middle school level, but high school is different. You cannot treat high school kids like you treat middle school kids. I know nothing of the interworkings here. Just an outside observer who has seen what they put on the court from 06-08.

When that many skilled players quit the team, from various classes (Rosenbaum-Sr/Hall-Soph etc) something is amiss.

How about the others who quit and did not return this season? (Turner-sr, Daniels-jr, Jackson-soph, Miracle-jr)? How about those who quit and returned during this season? (Bussell-soph, Nickell-soph)

How about the others not listed and the current players who have stated that they will not possibly return??What happened to the great student body support that disappeared this season?

The question is: How good would this team had been if they would have been kept together? I agree that this district was the weakest it has probably ever been. I also agree that Claiborne would have been eliminated if they had played P-F or G-P in the semis. Luck of the draw. But if they had been able to hold the team together they could have dominated this district and been regional contenders again.

When that many skilled players quit the team, from various classes (Rosenbaum-Sr/Hall-Soph etc) something is amiss.

How about the others who quit and did not return this season? (Turner-sr, Daniels-jr, Jackson-soph, Miracle-jr)? How about those who quit and returned during this season? (Bussell-soph, Nickell-soph)

How about the others not listed and the current players who have stated that they will not possibly return??What happened to the great student body support that disappeared this season?

The question is: How good would this team had been if they would have been kept together? I agree that this district was the weakest it has probably ever been. I also agree that Claiborne would have been eliminated if they had played P-F or G-P in the semis. Luck of the draw. But if they had been able to hold the team together they could have dominated this district and been regional contenders again.

You forgot to add Fields and Collett who are sophomores to the list that left the team. Why did so many starters quit????????????? You had players who were playing 2 to 4 quarters a game quit????????????????????

You forgot to add Fields and Collett who are sophomores to the list that left the team. Why did so many starters quit????????????? You had players who were playing 2 to 4 quarters a game quit????????????????????

fields and collett were horrible. that helped your case none. and whoever said harville's a good coach, look at all the talent he's and and still no sniff of a region title. with estes, odell, nickell, holt all over 6'3", he still couldn't get a region tournament win. cook did more with less this year than harville has in all 5 of his years there. and as for the other quitters, she was better off without them. they had terrible attitudes the whole time.

Claiborne is a program whose players and fans are not content on just reaching district championship games. They are use to winning records (over 20 plus per season). They have won more district titles than any other district 2AA team in the last 10 years. I think that you would agree that Under Coach Parky they were one of the top programs in the state. I believe that he was Coach of the Year 8 out of the last 10 years. You can in no way compare Union Co. and Claiborne programs. You cannot in no way compare Coach Cook to him. Coach Harville has had a great career also. You cannot judge him by the last season. You also cannot compare him to Coach Cook. It like comparing oranges to apples. Cook's records and actions at Union Co. and now at Claiborne stands for themselves.

I'm an outsider but have been reading this thread for a while now (or at least the topic in a couple of threads). Does NO ONE teach there kids "what ever the situation, what ever the adversity, the last course to take is to quit and leave you're TEAM. Too much blame and especially too much credit is givin to the coach for the overall success or decline of a program especially at this age and level. What were the alledged reasons for the girls quitting? There was a local boys H-S team that lost 3 key players this past summer because the coach was conditioning them too hard. ???

My overall point is the only reason to discontinue your contribution to your team comes when your ability or love of the came has passed. A truely dedicated competitor and team mate would never consider it otherwise. And parents thats where your support comes in(yes we as parents have a job other than backing our little princesses in what ever they want) Lets make strong women out of them (they will always be daddies little girl). Finally hoorah to those that perservered and from what i've read improved against the current.