AA "Elite 8" -- The State Tournament!

up2late

Why scrimmage before a tourney. That`s just asking for bad things to happen. If they`re not ready by now, might as well hang it up.

A few reasons:

1) Memorial Gym gives a chance for the players to get used to playing on a larger court and gym.

2) Scrimmaging Antioch gives CPA's players a taste of the playing styles of some of the teams that they might meet in the tourney.

3) It was timed well between the sub-state and first state games so that the players stay sharp in game situations.

4) Playing against a challenging AAA team like Antioch helps CPA prepare for the task of going 32 minutes with fast, athletic teams like Dyer Co.

The only bad thing that could happen would be an injury to a key player, but that could just as likely happen any day in practice anyways. Thankfully no one from either team was injured.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to keep the intensity up during a 9 day layoff before state. Maddux is brilliant to schedule this practice in an arena with Antioch, the likely AAA winner. CPA played them tough and smart. They didn't keep score but from what I saw it was a close match up with Antioch being a little more athletic but CPA shooting lights out from all over the court. A lot of weapons.

Antioch will be next to impossible to beat in AAA. Speeeeeeed for days and talent but not as disciplined as CPA. Antioch goes deep on the bench as well. If you try to run with Antioch it may spell the end of your season.

Could be....possibly.....a middle TN kind of year. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Volman said that because of the possibility of INJURY! Could be a west TN kind of year! but ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN during this time of year! Good Luck! GO CHOCTAWS!!!

Volman said that because of the possibility of INJURY! Could be a west TN kind of year! but ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN during this time of year! Good Luck! GO CHOCTAWS!!!

He volman, where at the BTW game? I have only seen Dyer County play three times in the last two years. Twice against BTW and in the boro last year.. I noticed the music that the players ran out to talked about the Dyer County Choctaws... Do you know the artist? How can I get a copy?

He volman, where at the BTW game? I have only seen Dyer County play three times in the last two years. Twice against BTW and in the boro last year.. I noticed the music that the players ran out to talked about the Dyer County Choctaws... Do you know the artist? How can I get a copy?

There are 2... The one last year or this year? They are by B. Leigh... he is from Haywood Co.

In AA this is the year for the East. Howard, Austin East, and Foulton. I havent seen Fulton play but they beat AE and they are Tough. Howard has size and they can run the floor as well as slow the game down. I would love to see Howard vs Mitchell one of these teams will win. Go Hustlin Tigers!

Since there has been some discussion about different teams' speed and style of play, here is something interesting. Percentage of games scoring over 65 points:

DC - 100%

Mitchell-85%

Bolivar-80%

Livingston Academy-74%

CPA-65%

Fulton-63%

Howard-46%

Austin East-42%

The ranking exactly matches geographical lines (West/Middle/East). Impressive that DC has never scored under 65 this year. Better be able to score to beat them.

The west teams are, as a rule, higher scoring. Probably due to pressure, gambling defense that speeds the game up, in most cases. To beat them, you better be able to beat handle pressure.

The east teams are lower scoring teams, so matchups between them and the west teams should be interesting to see the tempo.

Since there has been some discussion about different teams' speed and style of play, here is something interesting. Percentage of games scoring over 65 points:DC - 100%Mitchell-85%Bolivar-80%Livingston Academy-74%CPA-65%Fulton-63%Howard-46%Austin East-42%The ranking exactly matches geographical lines (West/Middle/East). Impressive that DC has never scored under 65 this year. Better be able to score to beat them.The west teams are, as a rule, higher scoring. Probably due to pressure, gambling defense that speeds the game up, in most cases. To beat them, you better be able to beat handle pressure.The east teams are lower scoring teams, so matchups between them and the west teams should be interesting to see the tempo.

Excellent evaluation CPA4ever. Someone did their homework. Your right the contrast in styles is what makes the games interesting.

There are 2... The one last year or this year? They are by B. Leigh... he is from Haywood Co.

If someone has a copy of this years they need to post it.

Since there has been some discussion about different teams' speed and style of play, here is something interesting. Percentage of games scoring over 65 points:

DC - 100%

Mitchell-85%

Bolivar-80%

Livingston Academy-74%

CPA-65%

Fulton-63%

Howard-46%

Austin East-42%

The ranking exactly matches geographical lines (West/Middle/East). Impressive that DC has never scored under 65 this year. Better be able to score to beat them.

The west teams are, as a rule, higher scoring. Probably due to pressure, gambling defense that speeds the game up, in most cases. To beat them, you better be able to beat handle pressure.

The east teams are lower scoring teams, so matchups between them and the west teams should be interesting to see the tempo.

Interesting stat, but I think a more telling stat would be how often these teams keep opposition under 50.

Interesting stat, but I think a more telling stat would be how often these teams keep opposition under 50.

Dc could have done that in more than one game...but when you put your entire bench..freshman and all in and the opposing team still has starters in, that puts a variable on the points scored.