Title 9

boonsie20

As a High School senior the lack of public university programs have caused me to look at colleges i would never have looked at such as Tusculm or Union. both great schools but i would never see my self going there over a state college w/o them having soccer.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike any other NCAA Division 1 sport, the best teams/players are not always in Division 1. This is because, generally speaking, these schools have more foriegn players. The foreign players, historically, were better than the US players. They just did not attend D1 schools for all kinds of reasons.

Look back at a school like Erskine College in SC. (Enerollment of about 600) THey used to play Clemson and give them all they could handle.

I agree the top ten in d2 and naia and d1 would all be playing at a great level. However, there is a tremendous drop off in naia and d2 after the top 10 to 15 in the nation. But this is not my original arguement. Schools in d2 and naia that compete for a national championship every year are loaded with international players!!!! My arguement is title nine is hurting american born boys. D1 takes the best american kids, but in tn that is not the case because we are limited until we change the rules on title nine.

big G you asking where i go?

as for foriegn influence..... (and yes this might be alittle bit of a bias input) but the better soccer is being played in NAIA. i have a strong feeling that if you took the top four NAIA programs and put them against the top four D-I programs that NAIA would prevail. I know that NAIA has rules that allow 20-30 year old former professional players from other countries come and play. The rules for recruiting are different for NAIA which allows them to bring in anyone they pretty much want. The foriegn influence in NAIA is very strong and makes the game look very smooth and more fun to watch unlike D-I where i feel the game is tied up in kickball (whoever is bigger stronger faster wins). I watched the 06 D-I national championship between UCLA and UCSB and i was very unimpressed by both teams. I feel like any top NAIA team could have handled ethier team. If you are a high school player and looking to play at the next level, i strongly advice that you GO and WATCH a few college games. If you get the chance WATCH lindsey wilson, Auburn u of montgomery or any other programs that is ranked top 20 in the NAIA and in D-II. Better yet at least schdule a visit where you have the chance to play with one of them. It will tell you alot about college soccer.

big G you asking where i go?

as for foriegn influence..... (and yes this might be alittle bit of a bias input) but the better soccer is being played in NAIA. i have a strong feeling that if you took the top four NAIA programs and put them against the top four D-I programs that NAIA would prevail. I know that NAIA has rules that allow 20-30 year old former professional players from other countries come and play. The rules for recruiting are different for NAIA which allows them to bring in anyone they pretty much want. The foriegn influence in NAIA is very strong and makes the game look very smooth and more fun to watch unlike D-I where i feel the game is tied up in kickball (whoever is bigger stronger faster wins). I watched the 06 D-I national championship between UCLA and UCSB and i was very unimpressed by both teams. I feel like any top NAIA team could have handled ethier team. If you are a high school player and looking to play at the next level, i strongly advice that you GO and WATCH a few college games. If you get the chance WATCH lindsey wilson, Auburn u of montgomery or any other programs that is ranked top 20 in the NAIA and in D-II. Better yet at least schdule a visit where you have the chance to play with one of them. It will tell you alot about college soccer.

its been a while since iv posted so i think its finally time that i do. ucsoccer im gonna have to disagree with you. everyone holds d-1 soccer at a high level like they should. there is no way that the top naia teams could beat the top d1 teams. d1 is definitely stronger than naia. part of the reason some naia teams manage against d1 teams is a mental problem with d1 teams. i think and i have talked to some d1 guys that play the smaller schools and none of them ever find the motivation to play against these schools. its not as exciting to them so i think that is part of the issue. but take the good d1 schools on their best days and put them against naia schools on their best days and d1 wins 99% of the time.

with all that being said i have nothing against naia, there are good players that play in that division i know plenty of them. but the naia cannot compete on a regular basis with d1 in my opinion.

i think you are right though in saying that d1 soccer is not always the prettiest soccer. it can be very physical and not very pretty at times so d1 is not anywhere close to perfect.

the real reason i wanted to post is to say that i absolutely hate the topic that this forum is on. title 9 ticks me off so bad and i agree with what many of you have already said.if more d1 programs had soccer for men (especially the SEC). if the SEC had soccer, it would be a very high level conference b/c in my opinion the best players come from the southeast and these players would stop going up to the acc to play with them. but of course none of this can happen b/c we have a stupid rule called title 9. i wish the people who thought up this rule had never existed

its been a while since iv posted so i think its finally time that i do. ucsoccer im gonna have to disagree with you. everyone holds d-1 soccer at a high level like they should. there is no way that the top naia teams could beat the top d1 teams. d1 is definitely stronger than naia. part of the reason some naia teams manage against d1 teams is a mental problem with d1 teams. i think and i have talked to some d1 guys that play the smaller schools and none of them ever find the motivation to play against these schools. its not as exciting to them so i think that is part of the issue. but take the good d1 schools on their best days and put them against naia schools on their best days and d1 wins 99% of the time.

with all that being said i have nothing against naia, there are good players that play in that division i know plenty of them. but the naia cannot compete on a regular basis with d1 in my opinion.

i think you are right though in saying that d1 soccer is not always the prettiest soccer. it can be very physical and not very pretty at times so d1 is not anywhere close to perfect.

the real reason i wanted to post is to say that i absolutely hate the topic that this forum is on. title 9 ticks me off so bad and i agree with what many of you have already said.if more d1 programs had soccer for men (especially the SEC). if the SEC had soccer, it would be a very high level conference b/c in my opinion the best players come from the southeast and these players would stop going up to the acc to play with them. but of course none of this can happen b/c we have a stupid rule called title 9. i wish the people who thought up this rule had never existed

My advice? Talk to your congressman. Problem is, female athletes are protective of Title 9, just as male athletes are scornful. The law will never be repealed / changed as long as men/women can only visualize the situation as win / lose, because 50% of the voters are men and 50% of the voters are women.

If you are truly motivated, try and think of a win / win solution, then write your congressman.

i agree with pretty much everything you said and ive played/seen a lot of soccer

torontofc once again you bring up a valid point that i forgot. there is a hugh drop off from the top 20 (i would say) in NAIA and D-II compared to the rest of the country. asaininvasion, i respect your veiw but i would disagree. Before i even start, i would like to say congrads on your signing and i wish you the best of luck, also that what i have to say is not to take anything away from D-I, it is FULL of very talented players.

First if a player NEEDS an excuse to get motivated to play then i feel he doesn't deserve to play at that high of a level, that's just weak and sounds like an excuse to me. When we play smaller schools, we have learned that those are the games that you have to take care of bussiness or else it comes back to bite you in the butt. There's a reason we play the game instead of deciding the final results on a place like.... coacht for example. Second how can you disagree with the fact that lindsey was beating IU on a consistant basis (another small detail i forgot is these games were being played when IU was winning the national championship year in and year out or at least competing for it)? Georgetown of KY play UK ever year and that game is usually alot closer then what it should be with scores like 3-1, 2-0... and georgetown finishes no better then third or fourth in our conference. I would expect Uk to beat them alot worse then that. The bad thing about this is we will never know because the bigger D-I schools almost refuse to play the top 20 NAIA. Heck we play a semi-pro team and have tied them the past two years. I have watched many D-I games and many more NAIA (only because i play in NAIA) games, D-I is filled with extremely talented college kids (mostly americans), but NAIA has advantages that D-I does not, they can pull more of an international influence and recruit players who were playing for money (professionals). I've seen the top four (actually have played against them and most of the top 10) NAIA programs play this year and i have also watched the top four D-I programs play as well, i think these match-ups might shock you alittle more then what you might think. Back to original reason for the tread..... Players can't let the title 9 keep you from playing. Just because your not getting scouted by a D-I program doesn't mean there is no where else worthy of playing. Yes title 9 effects men's soccer in america but once again not all your talented programs are D-I. I do respect the fact that it takes away from the chance for our american boys to play at the next level but at the same time, i've watched alot of talented boys walk away for other reasons then the fact that title 9 wouldn't let them play. This is more sad then the rule of title 9 itself. (not to pick on him, but first of many people that comes to mind) Victor Upshaw could have gone to any DI-DIII or NAIA program he wanted, title 9 did not prevent him from playing.... his mindset prevented him from playing. He felt that since no one (and by no one i mean any major D-I programs) was looking at him, it was no worth his time to contnuie to play. This is a shame! No one was doing his recruiting and so he gave up. He also felt that he was to talented to play NAIA or D-II (is the way his attitude came off). Once again a kid who is talented enough to play D-I is no longer playing and all because of a mindset. This is the main reason american kids do not play at the next level and not title 9. Title 9 only gives more places to play. Remember title 9 doesn't just effect D-I but D-II and D-III as well (it's a NCAA rule). I bet if some of these kids took a chance with a DII or NAIA programs they would be very surprised (i know i was). There are alot of kids who are not very talented playing college ball... why is this? because the talented kids decide that it's not worth there time, once again this is a shame!

BIG G as for your question i currently play at The University of the Cumberlands

UCSoccer is exactly on the mark, asisaninvasion. There are former professional and Olympic (not ODP) players (men, actually) playing on NAIA teams. Some of these teams could easily handle the (boys) playing on most D1 teams.

simply put, D1 has athletes while NAIA has soccer players.

UCSoccer is exactly on the mark, asisaninvasion. There are former professional and Olympic (not ODP) players (men, actually) playing on NAIA teams. Some of these teams could easily handle the (boys) playing on most D1 teams.

simply put, D1 has athletes while NAIA has soccer players.

Cincy, I agreed with you up to the end sentence. I think both have excellent soccer players. NAIA has the ability to get a broader spectrum of older and different players that wouldn't be eligible in NCAA regs.

thank you ucs, i'm very excited about usc. hopefully steve and i can make an impact in the next couple years there.

i definitely agree with you, the perfect player should always be pumped up for every game and be ready to play but that is harder said than done. i would say most people have a hard time pumping themselves up for those smaller games. ask anyone i'm probably one of the worst at doing what i just said haha. so the reality is though the d1 guys don't come prepared mentally to play some of those smaller games b/c it doesn't really affect their season or for whatever reason, they should though as you have pointed out since some of the naia schools have given some d1 teams good games. but i would still say and most would say that d1 is at a different higher level than naia. moving on ucs did my tnfc team play you guys? i think we lost but i'm not sure i was sick