Region 3 1A?

bigdog64

I would agree with you that the WingT offers more deception and can allow for smaller guys to have a slight angle advantage over other teams. Older offenses like the WingT, split veer, etc. help smaller, quicker backs and even mediocre backs get into the line fast and get an easy 3 or 4 yards each play. BUT I believe that DB is not ready to play a grind-it-out game. They don't have the numbers to play a game in the trenches like the Wing T would need. DB doesn't have a Chas Scruggs or the numerous backs that you all had, or a Walliser like Silverdale had. DB is trying to spread people out to gain an advantage, much like Hawaii or Texas Tech does. Pass blocking is also alot easier than trying to drive block someone on a jet sweep. I will agree to disagree on this point. I will agree with you that DB has a long way to go, but look at where they have come. They have gone through a lot tougher journey than any of the other christian schools in this region and they are starting to gain a little respect in this region.

Btw, congrats on the state championship. Ya'll earned it and I wish you success next year, except for in the DB game!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What makes their journey tougher than the other Christian schools? As far as respect goes, I guess Copper Basin respects them and maybe Temple, but I doubt anybody else. But I guess that would qualify as a little more respect. Just remember who are coach is and know that we will do well even though we lost a lot last year. Coach Allen will have us ready to win the region. He always gets the most out of his players and he always finds somebody to fill our needs.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes their journey tougher than the other Christian schools? As far as respect goes, I guess Copper Basin respects them and maybe Temple, but I doubt anybody else. But I guess that would qualify as a little more respect. Just remember who are coach is and know that we will do well even though we lost a lot last year. Coach Allen will have us ready to win the region. He always gets the most out of his players and he always finds somebody to fill our needs.

Their journey has been a lot tougher because there hasn't always been much money/interest put into the football team when it started. They've gone through 4 different coaches in as many years. They just now got a proper weight room. Two years ago after Tim Couch left, they almost didn't field a team. The numbers have always been low as well. DB has never had over 30 kids on the team, EVER. I know the two years ago they had 13 at one point. I might be biased in DB's favor because I know how much they have struggled to get where they are. I have no beef against Silverdale. I would say the same thing to anyone else that DBCS played. I think Coach Allen is a good coach. I think he does what he has to to get players in and he always seems to have a decent team no matter what. I think more teams have given DB at least a little respect. Temple, Copper Basin I would agree on. Grace, Lookout Valley also because they have played them in the past and DB played them closer than they ever have last year. I don't know about Silverdale but maybe you do. I know that ya'll didn't run over DB and the game was fairly close for the first half. I'm not saying that teams are affraid of DB; all I'm saying is that teams won't come in thinking it's a cupcake game anymore.

. . . DB is trying to spread people out to gain an advantage, much like Hawaii or Texas Tech does. Pass blocking is also alot easier than trying to drive block someone on a jet sweep. I will agree to disagree on this point. . .

Texas Tech is not a good example. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> They had and usually have one of the biggest O-lines in the country. This past year the got up on a lot of people big and then went into what I called a "prevent offense" in that they got real conservative and let a couple of teams back in and lost 2 games they should have won. The ran the spread because they wanted to. They could have ran almost any scheme they wanted with the QB, backs, receivers and line they had and in fact probably should have ran something besides the spread.

Two years ago after Tim Couch left, they almost didn't field a team. The numbers have always been low as well.

What had drawn Couch to DB, and why did he leave?

I was told by a parent at DB that the school doesn't plan to get any bigger. If that's true, it's gonna be awfully hard to maintain a football program.

Texas Tech is not a good example. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> They had and usually have one of the biggest O-lines in the country. This past year the got up on a lot of people big and then went into what I called a "prevent offense" in that they got real conservative and let a couple of teams back in and lost 2 games they should have won. The ran the spread because they wanted to. They could have ran almost any scheme they wanted with the QB, backs, receivers and line they had and in fact probably should have ran something besides the spread.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech's coach, runs the spread. That's what they do. They run that offense. So does David Brainerd. David Brainerd runs the spread because they want to. They don't run it because they have to. It isn't mandatory to run the spread. That's a really picky remark. Would you rather me say Oregon, West Virginia, Florida, SMU etc. They all run versions of the spread offense.

What had drawn Couch to DB, and why did he leave?

I was told by a parent at DB that the school doesn't plan to get any bigger. If that's true, it's gonna be awfully hard to maintain a football program.

I don't know what drew Coach Couch to David Brainerd. I never really asked him. But I'm sure it had something with starting a team from scratch and being in the head coach position. Everyone wants to be a head coach and I'm sure he was no exception.

I haven't heard anything about David Brainerd not getting any bigger. I know they are building new sports facilities where they are. I don't know if you mean getting bigger in population or the school itself. But I don't think they are turning kids away and they are expanding in the building area. I guess only time will tell whether they stay at a lower enrollment or a higher enrollment like a CCS. They probably have 220 grades 6-12 now.

I haven't heard anything about David Brainerd not getting any bigger. I know they are building new sports facilities where they are. I don't know if you mean getting bigger in population or the school itself. But I don't think they are turning kids away and they are expanding in the building area. I guess only time will tell whether they stay at a lower enrollment or a higher enrollment like a CCS. They probably have 220 grades 6-12 now.

I meant that I was told DB didn't want to have many more students.

I don't think that is true at all. They probably won't get to 500 students or anything but I know they are growing. They will have a large 6th grade class coming in next year.

DBCS has about 150 students grades 6-12 and i think 80-90 in high school.....as far as having a tougher journey, i'm a senior now about to graduate and i can remember when we played against boyd in 9th grade with 12 players and i think we had 17 in my sophomore 22-23 my junior year and i think we got up to 24 this year....so...that kinda stinks....i don't know if you wanna call it a tough journey though

as far as all of this spread versus wingT crap i think that the reason that DBCS runs a spread rather than a wingT is because of a complete lack of line depth....i think in 4 years playing line i came out on punt returns and this year i got to come out on punt coverage as well....that's the way most lineman are at DBCS so the coaches try and pass the ball a lot more so as not to wear out the offensive line for when they go on defense too...ummm...so thats the reasoning...idk that i agree, i believe that running the ball gets the line more aggressive and into the game....but you know...whatever

b4b...I like your coaches too but I still think they could be more competitive and win more games with a different offense. You don't need 4.4 guys and big linemen to be effective in the WingT (think Silverdale). You better have some reasonably fast WRs, a QB who can scramble (think Grace) and a line that can pass block if you want to run the spread. Even our JV was able to cover your WRs and our young linemen were really pressuring your QB. DB has a long way to go to be a playoff contender.

Not sure what you mean that the JV could cover the WR's. Maybe the line was pressuring the QB, but from what I saw in the paper, DB had 140 yards passing, and the big receiver had 90 of those yards. I wouldn't consider a receiver who gets 90 yards classified as someone that was covered real well, as well as allowing 140 yards total passing.

As far as the posts about respect, I bet if you went back 2-3 years, you would not see anything mentioned on these threads about DB (good or bad).. guess you could say that even talking about the program is gaining respect?

Not sure what you mean that the JV could cover the WR's. Maybe the line was pressuring the QB, but from what I saw in the paper, DB had 140 yards passing, and the big receiver had 90 of those yards. I wouldn't consider a receiver who gets 90 yards classified as someone that was covered real well, as well as allowing 140 yards total passing.

140 yards total passing (very little rushing)...top WR has 90 total... so that means 50 yards for the other 3-4 WRs... and that is with passing just about every down....and most of the yards were against 2nd teamers and JV...but still no score??? No offense intended but "covered real well" pretty much nails it. It was a 2nd team/JV defense for at least half of the game so 140 yds total sounds pretty good.

As far as the posts about respect, I bet if you went back 2-3 years, you would not see anything mentioned on these threads about DB (good or bad).. guess you could say that even talking about the program is gaining respect?

Like they say in show business even bad press is better than no press at all. It will take time.

140 yards total passing (very little rushing)...top WR has 90 total... so that means 50 yards for the other 3-4 WRs... and that is with passing just about every down....and most of the yards were against 2nd teamers and JV...but still no score??? No offense intended but "covered real well" pretty much nails it. It was a 2nd team/JV defense for at least half of the game so 140 yds total sounds pretty good.

Like they say in show business even bad press is better than no press at all. It will take time.

If you say so.... I'm not really privy to know when the yards were gained. Just looked at the stats in the paper. I would say SP covered pretty much everybody well last year, whether it be running or passing. And I would say that SP pretty much played 2nd team JV defense for most every team they played last year also except for the playoffs. The question would be, who got the most yards passing against SP last year? Bet DB was in the top 2.

DBCS has about 150 students grades 6-12 and i think 80-90 in high school.....as far as having a tougher journey, i'm a senior now about to graduate and i can remember when we played against boyd in 9th grade with 12 players and i think we had 17 in my sophomore 22-23 my junior year and i think we got up to 24 this year....so...that kinda stinks....i don't know if you wanna call it a tough journey though

as far as all of this spread versus wingT crap i think that the reason that DBCS runs a spread rather than a wingT is because of a complete lack of line depth....i think in 4 years playing line i came out on punt returns and this year i got to come out on punt coverage as well....that's the way most lineman are at DBCS so the coaches try and pass the ball a lot more so as not to wear out the offensive line for when they go on defense too...ummm...so thats the reasoning...idk that i agree, i believe that running the ball gets the line more aggressive and into the game....but you know...whatever

Wildcat man, I think you hit the nail on the head.... you and I (and a few others) really know the truth about a tough journey. People just don't know what it's like to play with 12, 17, 20 players. Especially with a program 3 years old. Absolutely no idea, especially when a good % of that total are players that are only out there to look good in a uniform. I was in North Carolina this weekend and talked to a basketball coach at a small, private school. He could not believe that DB could even field a team with 30 players (I fudged the total to him a little). He was appalled. Your dedication and efforts will never be forgotten. DB may never win a state championship or region. However, they will surprise some people from time to time. Just like when they beat South Pittsburgh in basketball this year.....