Can someone explain

coachgat

I've been looking into the whole middle Tennessee dominance and from what I've gathered, the west is represented by 2 teams, the east is represented by 2 teams and middle is represented by 4 teams in the Elite 8. Is this correct? If so, I can see why the odds favor Middle, on top of some superior basketball being played, they have a 2:4:2 ratio of teams represented.At any rate, Tennessee has some great talent and it's been an awesome 3 years. I've met some really nice people on here.

Style of play has a lot to do with West Tn. not being successful. Most teams from this area press the entire game and are up tempo. When you get to M-Boro it is a different game. When R. Newmans Melrose team won in 85 he changed his entire game plan. His team was in foul trouble the first game in the first quarter. Similar to yourself he realized he could not win with that style and made adjustments. And it is no secret that Middle Tn. teams pack the house which pleases the TSSAA...$$$Coach congratulations to you and your team on an great season! Keep up the excellent work!!!

I've been looking into the whole middle Tennessee dominance and from what I've gathered, the west is represented by 2 teams, the east is represented by 2 teams and middle is represented by 4 teams in the Elite 8. Is this correct? If so, I can see why the odds favor Middle, on top of some superior basketball being played, they have a 2:4:2 ratio of teams represented.At any rate, Tennessee has some great talent and it's been an awesome 3 years. I've met some really nice people on here.

Style of play has a lot to do with West Tn. not being successful. Most teams from this area press the entire game and are up tempo. When you get to M-Boro it is a different game. When R. Newmans Melrose team won in 85 he changed his entire game plan. His team was in foul trouble the first game in the first quarter. Similar to yourself he realized he could not win with that style and made adjustments. And it is no secret that Middle Tn. teams pack the house which pleases the TSSAA...$$$Coach congratulations to you and your team on an great season! Keep up the excellent work!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being from a small town, kids are given basketballs and goal posts put up. Most of the time you have generation ball players.

Being from a small town, nothing to do but practice sports of her choice. Community pride has something to do with it. Small communities folks usually know their neighbors( use to anyway)Fans lots of fans

Being from a small town, kids are given basketballs and goal posts put up. Most of the time you have generation ball players.

Being from a small town, nothing to do but practice sports of her choice. Community pride has something to do with it. Small communities folks usually know their neighbors( use to anyway)Fans lots of fans

Devilish,

You have a great point. Being in a small town where nothing to do but shoot hoops is a bonus. I also detest the video games craze. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

No program without true community support can flourish for an extended period. You have to get the older people 45 and up (I am in this group) group out to your games. Calipari, of U of M, made a statement about blue hairs the other night which I will somewhat amend to say, Without a considerable # of blue hairs in the audience your program has not arrived at the level to consistently compete at the state tournament. I believe that is why JC, Shelbyville, and some others consistently get to the state tournament. Of course talent and coaching have a part in it, but that long running support is hard to beat..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yea it changed but from what I understand, we only get 10 days of team on team competition/practice all inclusive. So if I practice 2 days I only have 8 days left of team on team competition. All of this is done in June before June 22nd. I hate it for those coach's that get the job late in July. They will only have 2 weeks before the season to get their team ready. Been there done that, wasn't fun /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Yes, but can't you have "open gym" all you want except for the 2 week dead period at the end of June, first week of July??? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yes, but can't you have "open gym" all you want except for the 2 week dead period at the end of June, first week of July??? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I was wrong. I cut and pasted from www.tssaa.org.

End of season until completion of three weeks (21 consecutive days) ??“ Dead Period

End of Dead Period until end of school ??“ Weight training, conditioning, open facilities permitted

End of school until June 22, 2008 15 days of practice permitted, 10 of which may involve

competition

June 22, 2008-July 5, 2008 Dead Period

July 7, 2008-July 26, 2008 Weight training and conditioning permitted. No open

facilities and no practice.

Hey, thanks. I will not stoop to the level that some do. When I win, I want to do it right. I'm going to take what I have from my middle school and my high school. I will not go to someone else's school and ask them to come to mine. The open enrollment is rediculous. A kid being able to change schools without changing their address and still be able to play sports is just wrong. If a kid wants to come to Millington I won't turn them away but I will not in any way go to a kid and ask them to come be a part of my program if they aren't already at my middle school or at my high school because it's just wrong.

NOT ONLY IS IT WRONG IT ILLEGAL

Ok guys, I have a quick question. Bear with me on it. Maryville High School football program just signed a "deal" with NIKE allowing them to get NIKE merchandise and I guess be a NIKE sponsored football program. The basketball program is also switching to NIKE. They are going to be required to play other NIKE high school programs. Isn't this a form of recruiting? How can schools get away with this? Are there any basketball programs in Tennessee that are sponsored by the shoe teams??? That sounds like an AAU program to me.

The only rule governing this to my knowledge would be with the size of the logo permitted on the Uniform. As far as playing other NIKE schools. They are not required to play the district schools. The Administrators of the district would have to get together and determine where they would be seeded if their district. Maybe non-district games... They may have to play out of state once or twice...Ridgeway I believe is sponsored by the AND 1 group.Success draws money....

Devilish,

You have a great point. Being in a small town where nothing to do but shoot hoops is a bonus. I also detest the video games craze. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

No program without true community support can flourish for an extended period. You have to get the older people 45 and up (I am in this group) group out to your games. Calipari, of U of M, made a statement about blue hairs the other night which I will somewhat amend to say, Without a considerable # of blue hairs in the audience your program has not arrived at the level to consistently compete at the state tournament. I believe that is why JC, Shelbyville, and some others consistently get to the state tournament. Of course talent and coaching have a part in it, but that long running support is hard to beat..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I wonder if your explanation for Shelbyville and other successful teams can be fully explained by your statement. I know dozens of teams that have the full support of their respective communities. I also know many teams that have great coaches. Why do they fail to get to the state tournament on a consistent basis. They play with the local talent they have and the great majority don't ever get to state. Perhaps there are other factors involved besides good coaching, good facilities, or good support that is the primary reason that some programs consistently get to state. Although coaching, community support, facilities are all important, what is critical is talent. When you get that extra talent, then many coaches can be very successful. When you have a team that good players and their families move to play with that program, that is the program that is going to be the most successful. I will give some old examples. Tiffany Woosley lived in Moore county, Jack Daniels country. She played for Shelbyville. One of the current players on the Shelbyville team told me personally that she would be playing for Shelbyville in high school. She was at that time in the eighth grade and lived in Nashville. Guess what, she sure is. You don't really believe that Shelbyville has had all that success over the years due to all that talent being right smack in the little town of Shelbyville in Bedford county. If you do, I have some ocean front property in the desert I would like to sell you. I am not for one minute trying to downplay the coaching ability or the community support of any of these successful teams. But I bet there are many, many coaches that given the talent of some of these successful programs would be just as successful, maybe more so. We'll never know cause it is what it is. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I agree with you whole heartily but the other side of that senairo is sometimes coaches have talent to advance and don't and after a few years of teams under achieving good players want to play for a program that will teach them and prepare them to be the best they can be and as a result move to a proven program that has success of doing that. And its really hard to question a parents dcision that may determine whats best for their child.

Simple. Better coaches period. Watch Memphis teams. run run run and out jump everybody for a rebound. First time they see a block out is when they play a middle tn team. Middle coaches teach and expect fundamentals. Memphis or in that area coaches just want the best athletes and that is good enough.