comando classic

walker66

Not to throw stones, but nothing, and I mean nuuu-thing, had been done to get the fields ready at Veterans yesterday when we arrived. And what they did after we got there was a waste (I felt sorry for the Parks workers). The Beech people said there hadn't been rain in the area since around noon, so they did have some time to work on them, but it was evident that didn't happen. The poor volunteers (H'ville parents) were working like 'busy bees' trying to open the concession stand and waiting on word about ticket refunds. We saw the Blackman team bus arriving when we were leaving. I felt bad for them, too, but...as you say, Tennessee weather is crazy, especially during this time of year. Being a weather man/woman in our state and giving a 7-day forecast is almost useless, with all the other immediate sources for weather updates. No doubt about it...and God's country or not...He made this a unique place to live! But I love it.

Good luck organizers and volunteers. This is still one of the best tournaments around.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to throw stones, but nothing, and I mean nuuu-thing, had been done to get the fields ready at Veterans yesterday when we arrived. And what they did after we got there was a waste (I felt sorry for the Parks workers). The Beech people said there hadn't been rain in the area since around noon, so they did have some time to work on them, but it was evident that didn't happen. The poor volunteers (H'ville parents) were working like 'busy bees' trying to open the concession stand and waiting on word about ticket refunds. We saw the Blackman team bus arriving when we were leaving. I felt bad for them, too, but...as you say, Tennessee weather is crazy, especially during this time of year. Being a weather man/woman in our state and giving a 7-day forecast is almost useless, with all the other immediate sources for weather updates. No doubt about it...and God's country or not...He made this a unique place to live! But I love it.

Good luck organizers and volunteers. This is still one of the best tournaments around.

The dark areas in the pictures above show the coverage you get using field prep absorbant. The first picture is coverage for 1/2 ton. The second is 1 ton. At $580 a ton (80 bags), the decision to use it is crucial to the success of the tournament and profits. Multiply that by X amount of fields. It's essentially too costly to use until the rains are done. Also, as someone who has many of hours in field duty, a well known basic principal is to not dig, rake or work a field in any way if more rain is coming. The fields have to be left slick to allow most of the water to RUN OFF rather than soaking into a raked up field. No work can be started until the rain is gone. I would assume that the Hendersonville organizers were highly aware that more storms were coming and opted not to work them until after the final rains. Like I said, it's not a perfect science but if ANYONE knows how to work the fields and get them ready, it's the Hendersonville people. That's why this tournament has always been a top seller in tickets and enjoyment in the past.

Well....without use of the cool graphics, I can assure you I have seen a rake in ERA's hands. lol

You will NEVER hear me say anything bad about Andy & Chick and the AWESOME job they do with this tournament. The facilities, volunteers and Parks Department people are the ONLY ones that could pull off a tournament this large with as few hick-ups. I just hope Chick gets a chance to sleep sometime in the near future. It has been a Looooong week for these guys and will be an even longer Saturday/Sunday I am afraid!

Even with all the rain (again!) yesterday, the fields this morning when we arrived were as perfect as they could be and obviously got better as the day went on. Our field crew was a very efficient group.

Great job, as I said, to all the volunteers (parents) and organizers.

Too bad more teams couldn't stay for the eliminations today. I hear some are even leaving tonight or tomorrow for FL tourneys. Hope you have safe travel and good luck!

There was a good reason as to why there was nothing done to the fields at this point in the tournament (Probably more than 30 years experience in doing these things). Probably the same reason as to why the park crews in Greenbrier did nothing to get their fields ready (Funny). To knock the park crew is rediculus! There is no telling how many hours they spent on fields this weekend and not to mention how much the City of Hendersonville put out in overtime and material to even be able to play today.