Darian Brown resigns at LHS

Eddie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Devilette basketball Coach Ashley Johnson. Best of luck!

Just for the record, the LHS volleyball team went to the sub-state last year under Stephanie Harmon. The new volleyball coach will be a full-time faculty member and will be announced Monday. She's VERY GOOD!

Eddie, good post. Full time faculty member sounds good and leaves a good impression. Good way to start and last years sub state team with be in good hands. Ashley Johnson, two year head coach with good community involvemsnt is the type of person LHS may need because. She will have to hit the ground running and make sure the current Middle School Graduates and their parents make their way to LHS. could have been easier if they were still in school. This years great freshman team also has to be kept in place. Hope Desoto had a great program with all of the frills. LHS deserves that.

She will have to hit the ground running and make sure the current Middle School Graduates and their parents make their way to LHS. could have been easier if they were still in school.

You're in the Kool-Aid again, and still don't know what flavor it is.

Last day of school

Wilson County Schools: May 31

Lebanon Schools: May 23

Eddie, good post. Full time faculty member sounds good and leaves a good impression. Good way to start and last years sub state team with be in good hands. Ashley Johnson, two year head coach with good community involvemsnt is the type of person LHS may need because. She will have to hit the ground running and make sure the current Middle School Graduates and their parents make their way to LHS. could have been easier if they were still in school. This years great freshman team also has to be kept in place. Hope Desoto had a great program with all of the frills. LHS deserves that.

Coach Johnson was an assistant at Desoto Central High School, not a head coach. I hope she does well, but it seems eerily similiarly to the hiring of Coach Brown's predecessor, who had a good basketball pedigree(played for Campbell Brandon and at UT vs. Coach Johnson who played for Rick Insell and at Ole Miss), but no head coaching experience. The earlier coach had also been an assistant at the collegiate level for a few years before serving as an assistant for a year at Lebanon before being named the head coach at LHS. Coach Johnson is 2 years out of college with only 2 seasons as an assistant at the high school level so she has even less experience than the earlier coach. She may be a great coach and do a great job, but Lebanon seems to be taking a chance here with a relatively inexperienced and untested coach. Being an outstanding player from an outstanding program doesn't necessarily translate into being a great coach and I can't think of any former Shelbyville players that have turned out to be outstanding head coaches. If anyone can name some I would be interested to know who they are and where they are coaching. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Coach Johnson was an assistant at Desoto Central High School, not a head coach. I hope she does well, but it seems eerily similiarly to the hiring of Coach Brown's predecessor, who had a good basketball pedigree(played for Campbell Brandon and at UT vs. Coach Johnson who played for Rick Insell and at Ole Miss), but no head coaching experience. The earlier coach had also been an assistant at the collegiate level for a few years before serving as an assistant for a year at Lebanon before being named the head coach at LHS. Coach Johnson is 2 years out of college with only 2 seasons as an assistant at the high school level so she has even less experience than the earlier coach. She may be a great coach and do a great job, but Lebanon seems to be taking a chance here with a relatively inexperienced and untested coach. Being an outstanding player from an outstanding program doesn't necessarily translate into being a great coach and I can't think of any former Shelbyville players that have turned out to be outstanding head coaches. If anyone can name some I would be interested to know who they are and where they are coaching. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

BH, I feel the uncomfortable nature in your post. The die is cast though. This may be a learn as you go or you may have hired a great coach. One thing is for sure. Your ladies basketball program is one that needs an established coach that knows how to develop a program. This coach may know how to do it. It wouldbe nice to know the names of your AD and principal at LHS. They saw something in this Coach that it would be good to look at in a couple of years to see how this worked out. Give the coach a chance but this poster sees no other school with the prestige of LHS that has hired a Head Coach with two years as an assistant and expect them to compete against the caliber of teams in 7AAA. Maybe all will learn something. The asst coaches, I am sure, did learn a lot last year. Good Luck LHS. Think about this and it very likely not work out. You have got some asst coaches that gained a lot from Darian Jones. You have just named a head VB coach that has been in the faculty there at LHS and was a Head Basketball Coach at Father Ryan in nashville for 3 years. You do have, in house, if she wanted to be an asst coach someone with head coach experience that could help out if chemistry, help needed etc worked out. The head coach is the head coach but LHS could wind upwith one of the best asst coach ranks in 7AAA. That might be a pipe dream but didn't realize the lady was teaching at LHS. VB is in good hands.

PHargis, I am not sure who you are referring to by saying, "You have just named a head VB coach that has been in the faculty there at LHS and was a Head Basketball Coach at Father Ryan in nashville for 3 years." The new volleyball coach is from Father Ryan, but has never been on the faculty at Lebanon High School. She was introduced yesterday to the players and will fill the vacancy in the PE department next year.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Missy Donaldson is the only player from Shelbyville who has had much success coaching that I can think of . She won the State at Coffee Co. before going to Smyrna.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Missy Donaldson is the only player from Shelbyville who has had much success coaching that I can think of . She won the State at Coffee Co. before going to Smyrna.

Great Example of Missy Donaldson as a winning head coach. Add to that Tiffany Woosley, whose experience at the AAU level has been exceptional. Misty Lamb Thompson is one that has been a good assistant from that program as well.

PHargis, I am not sure who you are referring to by saying, "You have just named a head VB coach that has been in the faculty there at LHS and was a Head Basketball Coach at Father Ryan in nashville for 3 years." The new volleyball coach is from Father Ryan, but has never been on the faculty at Lebanon High School. She was introduced yesterday to the players and will fill the vacancy in the PE department next year.

sorry , was told she was on the faculty already. But great news for LHS as I was also told she is a very good person.

Great Example of Missy Donaldson as a winning head coach. Add to that Tiffany Woosley, whose experience at the AAU level has been exceptional. Misty Lamb Thompson is one that has been a good assistant from that program as well.

Missy Donaldson did have some success at Coffee County, but was run-off from both there and Smyrna because of character issues. Lamb/Thompson was a head coach at Unionville and had no major success there before moving to be an assistant at Shelbville. Woosley was named head coach at either Lincoln or maybe Franklin County several years back and I believe lasted only a year before being replaced. I don't equate AAU coaching with high school coaching. It is really an apples to oranges comparison. Developing and maintaining a program is not the same thing as coaching an all-star team.

BH, I feel the uncomfortable nature in your post. The die is cast though. This may be a learn as you go or you may have hired a great coach. One thing is for sure. Your ladies basketball program is one that needs an established coach that knows how to develop a program. This coach may know how to do it. It wouldbe nice to know the names of your AD and principal at LHS. They saw something in this Coach that it would be good to look at in a couple of years to see how this worked out. Give the coach a chance but this poster sees no other school with the prestige of LHS that has hired a Head Coach with two years as an assistant and expect them to compete against the caliber of teams in 7AAA. Maybe all will learn something. The asst coaches, I am sure, did learn a lot last year. Good Luck LHS. Think about this and it very likely not work out. You have got some asst coaches that gained a lot from Darian Jones. You have just named a head VB coach that has been in the faculty there at LHS and was a Head Basketball Coach at Father Ryan in nashville for 3 years. You do have, in house, if she wanted to be an asst coach someone with head coach experience that could help out if chemistry, help needed etc worked out. The head coach is the head coach but LHS could wind upwith one of the best asst coach ranks in 7AAA. That might be a pipe dream but didn't realize the lady was teaching at LHS. VB is in good hands.

Clint Wilson is the principal at Lebanon and Denise Joiner is the AD and an assistant principal. Ms. Joiner has very limited background in sports and I wonder how much input she really had in this hiring.