The officiating was terrible (state tournament)

nebuntyn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good q`s yankee, but one more thing I`d like to ask along with your 8th q. Do officials get penalized or reprimanded in any way if it is determined he is calling a game unfairly on purpose?

This was written in the DNJ Murfreesboro newspaper (re: CPA vs DC)

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is assessing no blame and taking no action against officials who worked Christ Presbyterian Academy's loss to Dyer County.

State association Executive Director Ronnie Carter said he is not faulting the officials or clock operator. "If errors were made, you're only going to be looking for them to make sure you do it better for the next situation," Carter said.

So I guess your answer is NO.

The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is assessing no blame and taking no action against officials who worked Christ Presbyterian Academy's loss to Dyer County.

State association Executive Director Ronnie Carter said he is not faulting the officials or clock operator. "If errors were made, you're only going to be looking for them to make sure you do it better for the next situation," Carter said.

That would also mean reviewing the ENTIRE game to see ALL the calls missed....that INCLUDES all calls against CPA also, and they aren't going to do that. They would have to then go back over EVERY game in the whole tournament to determine if lopsided calls were going on.

Also saw where Mr. Carter stated "officials can only change time to what they have knowledge of" so without replay to review going to be subjective and possibility of error. I'd like to know of anyone at that game who would say they knew exactly how much time should have been on the clock, without the help of review, in the two different scenarios questioned.

Also saw where Mr. Carter stated "officials can only change time to what they have knowledge of" so without replay to review going to be subjective and possibility of error. I'd like to know of anyone at that game who would say they knew exactly how much time should have been on the clock, without the help of review, in the two different scenarios questioned.

I would like to know the answers to all these questions....not about any certain game.

1. Who is the State Supervisor of officials and where is he from? What part of the State?

2. Who s the rep from tssaa that secretly goes and watches, how many games does he watch, and where is he from and what part of the state? Has it ever occured to anyone he could be picking officials that call games like they do in middle and east even if he is from the west? The reason I ask is because I didn't see any officials from the west that called some of the biggest games of the season.

3. What part of the state are you from and what are your thoughts on the style played in the west as opposed to middle and east tn? You have 25 years experience ..I wiuld just like to know your opinion.

4. Does each part of the state have a rep and if so do all three have equal say in who is picked for these games or does that responsibility rest soley with the power brokers in Nashville?

5. What's the total number of officials for the entire tournement and did each part of the state have an equal representation of 1/3 of the total.

6. What is the criteria of who calls what games....is it random or is their a process for determining who calls each game?

7. How much money do refs make calling substate and state games, and are the meals ad accomidations paid for by tssaa or out of the refs own pockets?

8. Are the officials evaluated for their work after the state is over? If so who evaluates them and is the evaluation by one person or a group represented by each part of the state with equal representation?

I looked up to the clock the moment the DC shot went in and it said 4.6 seconds. The time out was granted at 3.8 seconds. The DC coach ran out on the floor with 7 fingers in the air. Utterly ridiculous!!! The next thing we know the officicals add 3.2 seconds to the clock to make "7". Our coach is protesting the whole time to no avail. Funny how they would talk the DC coach but not the CPA coach. Absurd, give DC extra time after not starting the clock (sitting at 15 seconds) where DC is dribbling the ball across half court with the clock not started!! Why was there not a stoppage when that happened to correct the clock keepers "nap" that he was on? Actually he was reaching for a drink at that critical moment. Fine work!

To the T$$AA officials involved: PATHETIC.

I looked up to the clock the moment the DC shot went in and it said 4.6 seconds. The time out was granted at 3.8 seconds. The DC coach ran out on the floor with 7 fingers in the air. Utterly ridiculous!!! The next thing we know the officicals add 3.2 seconds to the clock to make "7". Our coach is protesting the whole time to no avail. Funny how they would talk the DC coach but not the CPA coach. Absurd, give DC extra time after not starting the clock (sitting at 15 seconds) where DC is dribbling the ball across half court with the clock not started!! Why was there not a stoppage when that happened to correct the clock keepers "nap" that he was on? Actually he was reaching for a drink at that critical moment. Fine work!

To the T$$AA officials involved: PATHETIC.

Now you are assuming items you are not sure of their truth since you are implying that the only source the officials listened to was the Dyer coach. Plus you are only drumming up old news. This is no different than interviewing witnesses at an accident, you are going to hear different stories. On this issue I've read anywhere from 3.8 to 7 and some who have timed it have it closer to 7 than 3.8. Who really knows? The atmosphere was intense, it all happens quickly and to think it is going to be absolutely right without the help of review is pretty ridiculous, particularly at the high school level. We are talking about a matter of seconds. No different than whether the last shot was a 2 or a 3. That argument died down when the photo was produced. If you expect it to be more accurate, hope for a review, not the judgment calls of officials. All of us know that is not a system to be counted on.

The three was a three...But the clock should never have been put to 7 seconds....We were all thinking about 5.2....With the capability to use replay in that situation you should never get that wrong...Regular season is a different situation because you are not going to have the technology at every school....But when you get to the state level,you need to get things like that right....

I just hope the officials do a better job next year.....The season has come to and end. If the schools and big shots in the west don't make some noise I expect this continue forever. I don't know who or what group has all the stroke at this end of the state, but it's about time they stand up and demand a fair shake from the TSSAA. Everybody knows this end of the state is looked down upon by the rest of the state anyway.....just look at where all the tax dollars go. For the most part they throw the west a bone just to passify everybody and shift all the money to middle and east. Politics is invloved in every aspect of everything....all the way from little league baseball to the TSSAA. That's just how life is......the west simply dosen't play the political side as well as the other two regions.I would love to be a fly on the wall in those smokey backrooms at the TSAA offices. I'm willing to step up and make some noise if others are but I'm not going to do it by myself......wonder what the TSAA's reaction would be if they had about 100 fans out every day in front of this event boycotting. Not saying I would do that .....just wonder what the reaction would be. The TSSAA is not immune from abuse...look how much govement corruption at the local and state level ( all over this state) this state has seen, look at all the big national college programs that have been put on probation, look at the Tennessee Waltz investigation....I don't beleive the TSSAA hands are clean for one minute. But what happens when you bring this up......you are called a sore loser and told to shut up and take it. All I asked on this thread were some answers to 8 or 9 questions because I don't know what the answers are...I really don't expect to get them either. Change dosen't happen just sitting on your hands..Time for our folks to stand up for the kids and demand a level paying field...Like I said I will get involved but not by myself. This is my last post on this thread because i'm just going to be told to shut up, take it, and give the TSSAA and the officials credit....WHERE CREDIT IS NOT DESERVED.

Congrats to UC, Fulton, and Ridgeway.

The three was a three...But the clock should never have been put to 7 seconds....We were all thinking about 5.2....With the capability to use replay in that situation you should never get that wrong...Regular season is a different situation because you are not going to have the technology at every school....But when you get to the state level,you need to get things like that right....

You were thinking 5.2 so they still would've got the shot off and made it and who knows if McCord was holding up 7 fingers for 7 seconds or for 5.2 seconds /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> you know for 5.2 he still has 7 fingers up! But that is history and is over Officials will miss calls especially in high paced games with teams with alot of speed! It happens every where and at every level! Officials call what they see and not every call will be correct to everybody at once! 2 teams = 2 points of view! What the official calls is the correct call no matter if it horrible the official is always right cause their point of view is the only 1 that actually matters!!