The officiating was terrible (state tournament)

nebuntyn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Mr. Mcneese at the tournament, he is a represenative from the TSSAA. I asked himn about the officiating, and of course he reacted, he didn't respond, but that is what I expected. Tell me what you guys think.

Being a fan of all h.s. sports, I have attended numerous games of all sports..I completely quit going to b/b state championships 3 years ago Simply because the refs decided the winer of games..It was apparent this year they did not want any team from W.Tenn to win any of the gold balls...in other words the refs and TSSAA need to be Fair >> the games are suppose to for the kids and fans alike, not the area your representiing...also a few name coaches thruout the state are gonna get the refs best calls no matter what ...thats my 2 cents worth!!!

I spoke with Mr. Mcneese at the tournament, he is a represenative from the TSSAA. I asked himn about the officiating, and of course he reacted, he didn't respond, but that is what I expected. Tell me what you guys think.

Think you KNOW my answer /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> It might take me 2 days of non stop posting to cover what I thought of the officiating......in all games I saw NOT just ours. Total and complete inconsistency....maybe they need to pay em more or give a cash prize or a trip to a strip joint((heck anything to motivate em)) to the one who can call the most consistent game.

Nate, if you thought these were called badly, you should've seen the girls state tournaments!!!!!! IT WAS TWICE AS BAD! The ref's for the Fulton/Mitchell game tonight, I think, was the best crew. The Manassas/UC game was WAY TOO FAST to get every call correct in that game. Both teams DID foul alot in that game and you can't say they were biased towards either team because the fouls was 10-10 in the second half, I think. The double personal foul was called correct also. Polk had his arms rapped around Buckner somewhat and Buckner through him to the ground. I wish I would've known you were up there, we could've met up somehow..

Nate, if you thought these were called badly, you should've seen the girls state tournaments!!!!!! IT WAS TWICE AS BAD! The ref's for the Fulton/Mitchell game tonight, I think, was the best crew. The Manassas/UC game was WAY TOO FAST to get every call correct in that game. Both teams DID foul alot in that game and you can't say they were biased towards either team because the fouls was 10-10 in the second half, I think. The double personal foul was called correct also. Polk had his arms rapped around Buckner somewhat and Buckner through him to the ground. I wish I would've known you were up there, we could've met up somehow..

I was there for the girls also. It was terrible.

I have been saying this all week.....This was the worst display of officiating I have ever seen.....Completely garbage.....and not just for one team.....It was all around bad....

This was the by far the worse officiated state tournament. The problem I have is that there were very good officials in the stands watching the games instead of calling the games. I think that the coaches should be able to nominate people from there area and the officals chosen that way. There were a few officals at the state tournament that we had for the regular season that were awful. The process of how officals are selected (which my guess is the ones that do the most butt kissing get in) needs to change.

The process of the officials getting to the state tourney is as follows:

1. The state supervisor over the local association picks 3-5 officials. He sends them to the state office T$$AA.

2. The T$$AA ask for schedules of these officials.

3. A representative from the T$$AA secretly comes and watches the officials work.

4. Then the T$$AA contacts the state supervisor to tell who was nominated to work the state tourney.

5. The official(s) work a sub-state games as the referee in the women or men side.

6. The officials know who is going to the state about 3 weeks before the tourney starts.

The officials are picked based on merit, work during the regular season.

Yes I was an officials for 25 years in basketball and football.

i did not make the girls tourny but do the memphis girls flop around like so many of the memphis guys did to get ghost fouls? if teams are that good from memphis stand up and play legit ball

1. The state supervisor over the local association picks 3-5 officials. He sends them to the state office T$$AA.

3. A representative from the T$$AA secretly comes and watches the officials work.

4. Then the T$$AA contacts the state supervisor to tell who was nominated to work the state tourney.

5. The official(s) work a sub-state games as the referee in the women or men side.

6. The officials know who is going to the state about 3 weeks before the tourney starts.

The officiating was terrible last year.

Basically whoever kisses the supervisors butt during the year or whoever the supervisor likes gets recommended to work the state tourney. So the best officials aren't selected.

THe other issue is chemistry, putting individual refs together suddenly expecting magic is a joke. U don't pick the teams and then mix and match teams and play for a state title so why do they put refs together at random. Coaches should recommend officials then a neutral party from another state should review tape and recommend officials.

The other issue is supervisors, most of them weren't good officials themselves. Most good officials aren't willing to kiss butt to work a state tourney game.

I have a few questions..Just want to know for myself.

1. Who is the State Supervisor of officials and where is he from? What part of the State?

2. Who s the rep from tssaa that secretly goes and watches, how many games does he watch, and where is he from and what part of the state? Has it ever occured to anyone he could be picking officials that call games like they do in middle and east even if he is from the west? The reason I ask is because I didn't see any officials from the west that called some of the biggest games of the season.

3. What part of the state are you from and what are your thoughts on the style played in the west as opposed to middle and east tn? You have 25 years experience ..I wiuld just like to know your opinion.

4. Does each part of the state have a rep and if so do all three have equal say in who is picked for these games or does that responsibility rest soley with the power brokers in Nashville?

5. What's the total number of officials for the entire tournement and did each part of the state have an equal representation of 1/3 of the total.

6. What is the criteria of who calls what games....is it random or is their a process for determining who calls each game?

7. How much money do refs make calling substate and state games, and are the meals ad accomidations paid for by tssaa or out of the refs own pockets?

8. Are the officials evaluated for their work after the state is over? If so who evaluates them and is the evaluation by one person or a group represented by each part of the state with equal representation?

I just want to know for myself so I can check it out on my own. I'm not sure how all this works....but I will say this..each part of the state should be equal and have the same say in who calls these games..if they can't agree a compromise should be worked out.