The officiating was terrible (state tournament)

nebuntyn

I was at the girl's state tournament, in the Bradford-Clarkrange game on Friday, one official completely dominated the game from start to finish. At the 2 minute mark of the third quarter we began to keep track of the fouls called by individual officials. From that point through overtime, one official whistled 16 fouls, and the other two whistled 4 fouls. Two of the four fouls whistled from the other two officials was a double foul, block/charge. I guess they were not getting into the action and neither would back down from his call. I had no dog in the race but I did not go to the games to watch grown men run up and down the court and dictate the game. Officiating is a tough job, but if you choose to do it, please do it without a chip on your shoulder. Officials are like the TSSAA office itself, not accountable to anyone but themselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the girl's state tournament, in the Bradford-Clarkrange game on Friday, one official completely dominated the game from start to finish. At the 2 minute mark of the third quarter we began to keep track of the fouls called by individual officials. From that point through overtime, one official whistled 16 fouls, and the other two whistled 4 fouls. Two of the four fouls whistled from the other two officials was a double foul, block/charge. I guess they were not getting into the action and neither would back down from his call. I had no dog in the race but I did not go to the games to watch grown men run up and down the court and dictate the game. Officiating is a tough job, but if you choose to do it, please do it without a chip on your shoulder. Officials are like the TSSAA office itself, not accountable to anyone but themselves.

I could not tell you anything about that game because I did not see it. Maybe everything fell into that official's lap and into his 'primary area' (official speak). I have had games where I have blown the majority of the whistles because everything happened to happen in front of me, again in my primary area. Also, I have had games where I have not blown my whistle until 2nd or 3rd quarter because nothing happened in my primary area. If the official was calling across the floor or out of his area alot you may have a point however, if all of his whisltes happened 'in his primary area', then it may be he was doing his job well!

Lastly AGAIN, officials are accountable! We are graded and evaluated during the season many times. The officials at the state tournament are evaluated every game. People also forget that the TSSAA works FOR THE SCHOOLS. The schools vote on legislation and such and it's board members are made up of high school principals. So yes, the TSSAA office is very accountable to the schools!

Some associations have done away with the rating system. I believe you are still allowed to scratch officials. When you scratch an official, it means you will not get them for any regular season game that year. It does not guarantee any tournaments (Thanksgiving, Christmas, District, or Region) that you may get that official. Again, I can assure you that officials are held accountable if/when they mess up. The supervisors hold the pen and many of them will use it. This can be debated all day long but in the end, no coach or very few fans will ever agree with an official when they make a call against their team. The officials that can handle calling a game are the ones that wind up going the fartherest and are the ones the coaches like the best.

Dear Whistleblower,

I am trying to find out if anything happened to the refs at the DC/CPA game at the state tournament. 4 major mistakes were made in the last 15 seconds - these weren't judgement calls, just a total breakdown in officiating. Maddux has all four of them on film and sent them to Ronnie Carter. I have the 3rd mistake on film - on the rebound from the missed free throw at the end, the clock remained at 4.1 seconds as the DC guy dribbled towards the half court line. Were those knuckleheads ever disciplined?