ky hs tourney format

ruppsrunt

Look at the money. How much more money does the schools make for having those extra games. Also it gives those teams who play in a strong district a chance to still make it to the state. In Memphis, it is a dog fight in AAA basketball, If you look at 16AAA and 15AAA.

If we want to talk about change lets do away with the sectionals. Start the blind draw after the Regionals and go from there. Make the state start that Monday. If you look at the sectional, I bet the home team won most of the games because they often get home cooking. Just a thought. Hay I also believe we should go to a shot clock.

ditto..

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

top 2 in each district...no "passes" into the region...in the region every loss is an out...no sectional or sub states. in the region every game is life and death played before packed houses. each session at rupp 17 to 20k in attendance...23k at the finals. this is a true championship environment. btw would you say that the top attendance session this year at mc was probably 5k? did i mention that tickets are scalped at the sweet 16? you think this takes place at mc?

Yeah, they get 17 to 20k, but you have to take something else into consideration that is different between the two states. TN has 5 classifications if I'm right. Div II A-AA, Div I A-AA-AAA, KY has 1 classification. Big schools, little schools, public schools, private schools. KY does have this thing called the All "A" Classic. Which is schools under 500 students are involved in, but its not the real state title. This gives you a true winner sure, but is it really fair to say that a team is better just because they are bigger and have a larger population of students to choose their athletes from. I mean its rare that an A school can compete with a AAA school, (Union City this year is probably an exception), and I doubt any single A school could beat Div II schools. I think how Ky does it really kills small schools, for example I'm from Pickett Co. we are in the thick of state tournament talk yearly, with a gym full of district, region and state tournament banners, with less than 225 students, But the neighboring KY Co. (Clinton Co.) which has somewhere between 400-500 students, has one pic of their boys team from 1960 something (the last time they either made or won region). That just seems wrong, because if Clinton Co. was in TN, in district 7, they might have a couple of state tournament trophies, def. a few appearances. I rant about this a little bit because I think small schools should compete with teams of similar size. Thats why for years I have been harping on big schools from AA moving down to single A (because of TSSAA moving them), and private schools in single A (I'm sorry, but I see something wrong with schools being able to pick their students in single A, that is a big adv. in A ball, in AA and AAA it doesn't make that much different). I think thats why I'm such a big PC fan, because teams like Union City(not really talking about this year cause they beat everyone), CSAS, many other teams, move down and can dominate smaller schools, but PC with 225 students, continues to be a fixture in the A post season.

I would like to see us change the format a little, maybe not exactly like KY though.....Maybe only the top two teams from district move on, then you have 4 teams in regions, first game is just like second round is now, single elimination, then the finals are the same format, with the winner hosting their substate and loser traveling. leave state the same. I think this would eliminate these silly play-in games for the first round of region, I hate those games, either play them at the site of region, or get rid of them.....also think we need to play more than two games per night during district and regions.......but, it will never happen though because the greedy TSSAA would lose money on the loss of games. But I like it better.

I could live with that. I also would be fine with the format we have now with the exception of 4 teams moving on from district play. Am I right in saying that Jackson County and White Station would not have made it out of their districts this year?

Your right, JC won and won the right to be in the state tournament, but I think everyone knew they didn't belong their.