Red Cards

rednex41

IMO the biggest issue facing TN refs is there is not enough on the field training involved in the certification process. When new officials get certified all they are taught are the laws of the game, but as most people have pointed out there is more to it than that. I feel positioning of the refferee is a huge factor of the game especially in the two ref system. But as soon as the ref gets certified he/she is thrown out into matches right away. I feel that there should be a required one day training session on the field to go along with the classroom work to be certified. I dont know how effective it would be. I just thought it might cut down on some problems

I agree with you sportsnut... I certify AYSO coaches, and even u12 rec coaches have to do on the field training in order to work with the kids. I also had to do on field training in order to have my certification certificate to do this. Yes, it might take a bit longer, and I know that we have few refs, but I think it could give confidence and quality to the new and/or old refs in the system.

MVM, just wait. When there is more on the line, these threads will pop up like crazy!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it's true that everyone has an opinion about officials.

When I started working matches at the HS level, an old hand told me, "Just remember, when you step on the pitch, 100% of the players, coaches and fans don't like you. If you have a good game, when you step off, 50% will not like you a little less."

Armed with confidence of my ability and knowledge that good officials are essential, there are still places I do not choose to go. Renumeration nonwithstanding, If I want that kind of abuse, I can just hang around my house and tell my wife I'm gonna sit and watch the NCAA tournament all day.

She'll take care of that.

well, it's true that everyone has an opinion about officials.

When I started working matches at the HS level, an old hand told me, "Just remember, when you step on the pitch, 100% of the players, coaches and fans don't like you. If you have a good game, when you step off, 50% will not like you a little less."

Armed with confidence of my ability and knowledge that good officials are essential, there are still places I do not choose to go. Renumeration nonwithstanding, If I want that kind of abuse, I can just hang around my house and tell my wife I'm gonna sit and watch the NCAA tournament all day.

She'll take care of that.

Well said! This is a personal opinion, but I think Highland Rim Referee Association has the best Referees in the State. They ref mainly in middle tn, but I am bias.

Two items. First, the red card. Some red cards do deserve multiple-game suspensions. I have enforced these as a coach in the past. Some red cards do not. Players get ejected for defending smaller teammates in out-of-control games, saving a game-winning goal when the keeper is out of position, and slide tackles on bad fields. I feel that TSSAA does need to take a look at how frequently ejections occur in different sports before dropping the hammer. When's the last time you watched a football game on television and saw a player ejected? Or in basketball? How often do you see a soccer match on TV without an ejection? And why allow the substitution after a soft ejection? What does TSSAA have invested in randomly selecting the consequences of soccer's established penalty system? So a kid can get ejected every game for multiple cheap shots without a suspension or his team even finishing short-handed, but a kid who has one slide tackle the ref deems violent (maybe because of bad technique, sloppy fields, or attempts to defend himself) and he's out two games. Doesn't work for me and I don't think it accomplishes their goal. How about an extra game suspension for the second red card in the same season (soft or hard)?

Anyway, I had another point. I think I've brought it up in previous seasons. Could TSSAA certify official linesmen that aren't full referees? I'd rather play with a mediocre trio than a good dual. It could ease the burden on the refs we have, provide more trios for the remote areas, and serve as a gateway for getting more referees. Heck, high school students could conceivably be allowed to line as long as they aren't playing for any school at the time. It's a thought.

The TSSAA is afraid that soccer is going to quickly overtake the other sports as popular. It is much cheaper to bring into a school, the game is more popular worldwide, and it is one of the more interesting games to watch. They continue to change the rules of a game so that they can "mommy-nize" it. What would they do if people urged them to make a facemask in football a two game suspension? They would have a cow. What is with the "must go out right after you get a yellow card to 'cool off'?" I mean, come on, how can you tell a player he needs to sit out when most of the offenses which justify a yellow card are professional fouls--the players aren't even angry. The TSSAA needs to rewrite their rules to say this:

"Exactly what F.I.F.A says"

The end.

How about a straight red for profanity after the offending player gets clobbered in an awkward, possible red card-worthy tackle from behind in a match the referee had not even gone as far as to stop the match to warn players in other instances of audible profane outbursts? I saw that happen this weekend.

Is profanity worthy of a straight red? When you get fouled hard, it hurts, and sometimes you might say something you wouldn't in other situations. But some consistency needs to be established, for that's the first time I've seen a player penalized in a situation like that with something harsher than a yellow since I was in my early teens.

I can tell you the TSSAA would change it back to one game if soccer had 10 games just like football. That's why they changed it during the last rule change -- i believe they added a game or two to soccer during last year's board meetings.

Look at the amount of games played over a regular season and then see how proportionate it is to football.

I can tell you the TSSAA would change it back to one game if soccer had 10 games just like football. That's why they changed it during the last rule change -- i believe they added a game or two to soccer during last year's board meetings.

Look at the amount of games played over a regular season and then see how proportionate it is to football.

Yes, this is their reasoning, but since we are comparing football to soccer, let's compare the number of ejections in each. It's disproportional.

I think a two game suspension could be enforced for fighting or multiple cards, but for non violent cards, I think it is pretty harsh.

Yes, this is their reasoning, but since we are comparing football to soccer, let's compare the number of ejections in each. It's disproportional.

I think a two game suspension could be enforced for fighting or multiple cards, but for non violent cards, I think it is pretty harsh.

Which Red card offense would you not give two games for. (straight Red)

exhibiting violent conduct

taunting

committing serious foul play

spitting at an opponent

spitting at a game official

using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gesture (toward player or official)

leaving team area for a fight

deliberate hand ball to stop a goal

deliberate foul to keep an opposing player from scoring on a break-away

These are from the rulebook.

In my opinion Sitting out 2 games is not harsh for any of these acts. you don't sit out for a yellow/red offense (unless by school mandate which there are some).

""""Which Red card offense would you not give two games for. (straight Red)

exhibiting violent conduct

taunting

committing serious foul play

spitting at an opponent

spitting at a game official

using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gesture (toward player or official)

leaving team area for a fight

deliberate hand ball to stop a goal

deliberate foul to keep an opposing player from scoring on a break-away

These are from the rulebook.

In my opinion Sitting out 2 games is not harsh for any of these acts. you don't sit out for a yellow/red offense (unless by school mandate which there are some)."""

All of those incidents deserve a two game suspension.. You should never in a game have your emotions out of check to commit any of those situations. The only one would be the handball to deny a goal..

If you spit, cuss, strike or anything like that then you are not playing within the intent of the game and should be punished big time for it. No one deserves to be spit, hit, or cussed at... If you don't like the new punishment then tell your kids to be in check with whats going on. There is no excuse to do that stuff. Some will say, "kids will be kids" but teach them early and you won't have to deal with that all that dis-respect towards authority.

If my team is losing 2 - 0 and we score..... I grab the ball out of the net so as to return it to the kickoff mark so that my opponet will kick off in a timely manner. As I am grabing the ball out of their net, one of their defenders pushes me to the ground. Would there be cards involved? Could a red occur for my actions of grabing the ball out of the net? Is this taunting? What if I do this when my team is ahead? Is that taunting?

Let's see how some of the refs on here would handle this matter.

If my team is losing 2 - 0 and we score..... I grab the ball out of the net so as to return it to the kickoff mark so that my opponet will kick off in a timely manner. As I am grabing the ball out of their net, one of their defenders pushes me to the ground. Would there be cards involved? Could a red occur for my actions of grabing the ball out of the net? Is this taunting? What if I do this when my team is ahead? Is that taunting?

Let's see how some of the refs on here would handle this matter.

First of all when your team scores the clock is stopped per the rules. ( SO THERE IS NO NEED TO GRAB THE BALL) Yes your opponet would get a red card for exhibiting violent conduct during a dead ball.

Yes you could get one for taunting but a referee would have to be there during that game to see what is happening that lead you to grab the ball and your actions when grabbing the ball. ( i have never seen the scoring team go into the net a grab the ball after they scored.

last I will restate there is no reason to grab it the clock has stopped.