CAK spring practice

Govolsknox

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on how spring practice went?

They had spring practice early and actually finished up in early February. They are now back in the weight room and lifting hard. From what I heard things went well. They lost a lot with last years seniors but new players will step up.

Being away from the CAK program for a few years but still following it, maybe you all can let me know who will step in to some positions.

Lets start with Defense, with the departing seniors from last season, I would say our new Defenseive Icon is swiss cheese, still good, but with holes in it. The loss of Bennett will be huge, dont think you can replace a player like that but who is next in line...Same goes for Bo Sanford. D-line, got Gabe back, but who has stepped up in the offseason?

Offensively, Who will replace Cates? Who are the go to receivers going to be.

Is this a rebuild or reload year?

I wil check back and hopefully someone in the know and fill me in.

Offensively, Who will replace Cates? Who are the go to receivers going to be.

Is this a rebuild or reload year?

I wil check back and hopefully someone in the know and fill me in.

Michael Fromke will probably replace Cates, he actually started a couple of games in the 2006 season.

Ryan Brooksbank should emerge as the leader of the receiving corps, but Keenan Kolinsky will be the man to stop for the Warriors.

I look for CAK to be down a little talent wise, but Coach Bradley will get the most out of what he has.

I think the OL and DL will be relatively solid. We never have tons of size (no pun intended) or depth, but we have several upcoming seniors with substantial experience as well as some younger guys with experience. Coach Bradley's offense gives us the best chance of success against larger teams.

The last 3 years CAK's middelschool program has been outstanding, and I believe we are getting to the time where more and more of the kids that contributed on those teams will be ready to step up at the high school level. I expect to see a number of these kids that will be a factor this year. One name I'll throw out is the Duncan kid at linebacker. He started seeing substantial playing time last year as a freshman and was involved in play after play after play. Great nose for the football. I hope he lives in the weightroom.

One thing I think CAK has to take a look at is being willing to play our best athletes both ways. I follow 5A programs who don't hesitate to play the QB and star RB both ways, and although I understand why the coach would prefer not to, I think with a 2A size school you just don't have that luxury. I think we need to see Kolinsky at LB, and Fromke at DB or somewhere on the field. Maybe not every snap, but it needs to be a regular part of our game IMHO. No criticism whatsoever, but last year I believe Fromke may have had 30 min or less of total playing time. This was with him as the number 2 QB. I don't know that Cates (starting QB) had any meaningful time on defense, but was a major contributor both ways in 2006. Kolinsky played defense in only one game I believe (due to a starter's injury.) These were 3 of the best athletes on the team. I believe if we checked many 4A and 5A schools, we would find many two-way players at the skilled positions, and I believe you would find even more at the 2A size schools. I certainly remember a kid named Cobb at Alcoa playing 2 ways!

I am particularly interested to know any thoughts and opinions on the OL, DL and receivers and DB's if anyone can provide any insight.

Michael Fromke will probably replace Cates, he actually started a couple of games in the 2006 season.

Ryan Brooksbank should emerge as the leader of the receiving corps, but Keenan Kolinsky will be the man to stop for the Warriors.

I look for CAK to be down a little talent wise, but Coach Bradley will get the most out of what he has.

I'm impressed APB. Now I'm going to have to bone up on my Alcoa knowledge. LOL

Jacob Duncan had a very successful season last year and has a bright future in front of him. He has strong leadership qualities and is a hard worker.

Another name to toss into the mix is Steven Fortner #67, he played in 11 games, starting 5. He can play left or right tackle.

I look for at least one other player in this rising Sophomore class to start on this year's Team.