7-AAA Offseason

MidTennFootball

Knew it wouldnt take long /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />. If Turnham is back (heard he's leaving), you can expect half the team to quit/get kicked off anyways. When you got a player like Phelix Hicks in your hallways but dont let him play...wow, and thats just one of a ton of guys.

Having Dejuan Brown back will help tremendously, but lets be honest, Alex Carter and Paul Stephens carried this team on their backs. Was there a single game when 1 of the 2 wasn't the leading scorer?

I picked my top 3 for obvious reasons. I picked my number 8 for obvious reasons. The rest will finish 4-7 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

TD,

I agree with the sentiments of your last two paragraphs, although I think it may be appropriate to scale back to only picking #1 & #8 for "obvious reasons". I think anything beyond 1 and 8 is a complete shot in the dark. Too many variables such as transfers, injuries, dismissals (might want to check on your list of returning Warriors), etc. occur over the summer to even attempt a specific ranking for teams 2-7. I suspect that a 9-5 district record may be good enough for 2nd place next year. Along with that, I think it is entirely possible for the 7th place team to have a 6-8 record. I wouldn??™t be at all surprised if only 2 games separated teams 2 through 7.

With that said, allow me to clarify some things about your first paragraph. It is no secret that Turnham expects responsibility and accountability from his players. Things as simple as getting to practice on time, being at shoot-around on time, behaving in school, attending and passing classes, etc. Only three guys have been removed from the team since Turnham has been there. The remaining detractors have decided to quit for various reasons (pursue rap/dance careers, pursue other sports, takes too much hard work, worried about the appearance of a younger player starting over them, takes time away from girlfriend / making money / hanging out on the corner).

Along that line, Mr. Hicks chose to be a no show for a team camp in the early part of the summer going into his junior year. He was given ample opportunities to rejoin the team after missing the camp, but remained a no show for the rest of the team??™s summer and fall workouts/activities. At no point in time did Mr. Hicks make any real attempt to rejoin the team, and on top of that, he chose not to even try-out this past year. Phelix Hicks situation had nothing to do with Turnham not letting him play.

Could Blackman have had more talent on their roster in the past? Maybe

Would they have been more successful? Probably not due to disruptions and distractions

With that said, I think Blackman and Coach Turnham have done quite well with the guys who have decided to actually want to be a part of the program.

I??™m a stats guy so I??™ll throw some things out there for you guys.

In the past 4 district seasons (which saw great dominance from Siegel and Oakland), Blackman has done the following??¦.

Blackman has the third best district record of all 8 teams (Oakland 47-9, Siegel 36-20, Blackman 29-27)

Blackman??™s average district finish is third best (Oakland avg. finish = 1.5, Siegel = 3.0, Blackman = 4.3)

Blackman and Oakland are the only district teams to have winning records against White Co. (both are 7-1)

Blackman has .500 or better records against Riverdale (5-3), White Co. (7-1), Cookeville (4-4), and Warren Co. (8-0)

Blackman is second in average points given up per game at 55.4 (Oakland is first @ 48.8)

*I choose to compare district stats as opposed to total season stats due to great variations in each teams non-district strength of schedule.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additionally, I would like to add that it always interests me when people bring up the notion of "if so & so had only kept playing" or "if so & so had only stayed at school X" then they would have been better. For instance, everyone always brings up the notion that if the original Siegel guys had stayed at Oakland then they would have been State champs. I discredit that statement completely due to the fact that if those guys had stayed at Oakland there would have been a high likelihood that they would have constantly butted heads with Coach King.

The big picture is this, talented players leaving programs (whether removed by the coach or quitting) happens in all sports and at all levels. There have been numerous, well publicized examples here locally: MTSU men??™s bball (Vogelsburg, Sain, Smith, etc.), MTSU women??™s bball (Abney), MTSU football (Starting D-lineman Mosley), and even my beloved Titans have dealt with it through all of this Pacman crap.

It comes down to 2 questions:

1) is the athlete willing to sacrifice the time and energy required of them, and

2) is the athlete willing to discipline themselves both academically and socially so as to not be a disruption to the team.

If an athlete answers no to either one of those, then player turnover will inevitably occur.

Great year in 7AAA in my opinion. It was very unpredictable and in my opinion one of the more exciting seasons we have had in many years. There were a few standout players but for the most part it was a blue collar hard working group of kids. Will miss seeing Alex and Paul play for the Blaze. Both were great kids and represented BHS well. Alex I really enjoyed watching you develop at BHS and wish Turnham had allowed you to show us what you were capable of last year. I will never forget your 42 point game, your last second shots that won Blackman many games over the years and how unselfish you are. You had an amazing year and I wish you the best.

I too will miss watching Alex and Paul in Blackman uniforms. Both of them progressed tremendously over their careers and both are tremendous young men that have my respect.

I believe Paul really started improving body and foot control towards the end of the season. If he had one more year, I think he could have really become a highly efficient post player.

Alex has matured greatly over his 4 years at Blackman. He spent most of this year learning how to be a leader and I think he did a solid job of it from a "lead by example" standpoint. I think he can continue to improve on his vocal leadership. I thought he adapted as well as could be expected to being the go to guy.

Just curious, what exactly is it that Turnham did not "allow" Alex to do?

It appeared to me that Alex had the green light to shoot, penetrate, or pass as he saw fit.

While I only saw Blackman 8 or so times this year, I never saw Turnham limit Alex's options when he had the ball.

I too will miss watching Alex and Paul in Blackman uniforms. Both of them progressed tremendously over their careers and both are tremendous young men that have my respect.

I believe Paul really started improving body and foot control towards the end of the season. If he had one more year, I think he could have really become a highly efficient post player.

Alex has matured greatly over his 4 years at Blackman. He spent most of this year learning how to be a leader and I think he did a solid job of it from a "lead by example" standpoint. I think he can continue to improve on his vocal leadership. I thought he adapted as well as could be expected to being the go to guy.

Just curious, what exactly is it that Turnham did not "allow" Alex to do?

It appeared to me that Alex had the green light to shoot, penetrate, or pass as he saw fit.

While I only saw Blackman 8 or so times this year, I never saw Turnham limit Alex's options when he had the ball.

My comment on Turnham turning Alex loose was referring to last year. I stated I would like to have seen him do more of that last year instead of using him as his third option. He really established himself this year and I think he would have been even better had he been allowed to do more the previous year. Coaches can hold back players as well as develop them. I think Turnham held Alex back and you have to give Alex credit for putting team first.

• 2 weeks later...