State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

First, anyone calling bounder and/or Ole dad not true fans is silly (I know this is a response to the other thread on this forum, but the other points are not). I may not agree with both of them all the time, but they are Oak Ridge fans. Being of the opinion that things are not the way they should be right now does not make anyone not a fan. If I didn't know something about them, I may agree with you or at least not say anything, but both of them are longtime supporters of Oak Ridge Football. In their cases, they just believe that things are not going the way they should be in Oak Ridge right now. When did objectivity constitute not being a fan? Unfortunately this disapproval seems to be the prevailing opinion amongst Oak Ridgers right now (and I don't mean a segment or group of the population, I mean the majority of Oak Ridge fans).

Second, why do you (anyone from Oak Ridge) think the administration is turning their heads to the obvious problems with Oak Ridge football? Is it intentional (are they trying to de-emphasize football)? Do they just not care? Are they just not aware? And anyone who claims there are not obvious problems is either blind, biased, removed from the situation, or just plain stupid. There are obvious game mismanagement (ridiculous use of time outs and silly play calls and decisions), discipline problems (penalties, not being able to line up correctly, players disrespecting coaches on the field in front of everyone and still playing, and the whole Clinton situation which has yet to be explained or dealt with to my knowledge - which is admittedly limited), booster issues (no, I'm not talking about misuse or misappropriation because nobody has given any real proof of that that I know of and if that had happened I am confident it would have resulted in termination, I mean lack of involvement from parents and the head coach, and local businesses and contributors feeling mistreated), losses (say what you want, but the last two years have been underachieving), and general unhappiness from parents, players, fans (sure, everybody cannot be made happy, and even though their may be fans who are "biased" against certain individuals many unhappy fans cannot fit into this category, but something is wrong when a vast majority of the community and kids are not happy with the current situation.

Third, I was hoping some of you "insiders", if there really are any, could answer some rumors I'm hearing around town.

1. I'm hearing coaches are leaving (specifically the father and son and the defensive linemen coach - trying to stay away from using names, but I would imagine most fans would know these people because they are coaches and I think all 3 actually played football for Oak Ridge). Any truth to this? Are they being fired? Leaving on their own? Not leaving at all?

2. I'm hearing a local little league coach is being added to the staff. Anyone heard this? Can you confirm?

3. I've heard discipline is getting better. Will we just have to wait and see?

4. How is off-season conditioning going?

Fourth, and I'm really interested in hearing answers to this: those of you who are fans of teams that play or scrimmage Oak Ridge, have you noticed a difference in Oak Ridge Football lately (good or bad) aside from the fact that some of you that didn't beat them very often are beating them now?

Not trying to make anyone mad, just trying to see what is going on, and if I have said something that is inaccurate, you are more than welcome to correct me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an 'outsiders' point of view there IS problems or y'all would not be turning on each other. I have had the pleasure of meeting bounder and can say he IS a loyal Oak Ridge fan! He is so much of one that it honestly hurts him to see y'all not being in the playoffs. Fans like bounder make it a pleasure for fans like me from other schools to look forward to coming there and watching our teams play, win or lose.

Bounder, for making it a pleasure to come to Oak Ridge and providing an enjoyable stay I can only say, Thank You!

For whatever reasons I believe the excitement is gone from Oak Ridge fball. There is some proof of that here on this message board. It wasn't too many years ago when OR fball had pages and pages of threads on here talking about the team etc. year round. Those threads have dissapeared. I think it's sad. Part of that could be lack of talent recently or it could be other detractors. If things don't change it wont be long til the youth growing up in OR will have no recolection of what alot of us think about when we think about OR fball and the tradtion and excitement we have seen growing up here.

You guys had a good coaching staff just a few years back and a lot of OR fans bashed them after every loss. Its one of the highest payed coaching positions in the state (teachers and coaches) and you would think they would attract great folks to the community. OR is one of the most beautiful parts of the state and that should help too.

just an outside opinion but I just don't think Oak Ridge has the horses anymore honestly the year you lost to ravenwood in the title game the defense was he only reason you made it that far has there been a major change in defensive thinking since then?

Uhh no disrespect, I wouldn't be able to discuss details accurately about someone else's team either, but that just isn't the case. The defense was great, but the offense led by Spencer and Connor Gulmire was almost unstoppable. Gulmire running for 350 + yards against a good Farragut team is one of my best OR memories. Another great memory from that year: I have a picture of the scoreboard after the OR vs. Riverdale semi game in my office (17 - 0) that I'm looking at right now.

I appreciate all the replies (or the few replies I guess I should say).

I have to agree with Nicky O, what concerns me most is the lack of excitement, or even interest for that matter. What has happened?

Still, does anyone know the status of any of the coaches? How are things going with off season strength and conditioning?

I'm hearing this is looking like a down year regardless of the coach. Is this accurate speculation (if there is such a thing)?

And 5A football fan must not have watched much OR football in 2005. In fact, his judgment must be made solely on the state championship game because had he watched many of the regular season and playoff games he might even think the opposite. That was a good football team from top to bottom. No reason they should not have won it all. Give credit to Ravenwood. They outplayed and outcoached a better football team that night.

I appreciate all the replies (or the few replies I guess I should say).

I have to agree with Nicky O, what concerns me most is the lack of excitement, or even interest for that matter. What has happened?

Still, does anyone know the status of any of the coaches? How are things going with off season strength and conditioning?

I'm hearing this is looking like a down year regardless of the coach. Is this accurate speculation (if there is such a thing)?

And 5A football fan must not have watched much OR football in 2005. In fact, his judgment must be made solely on the state championship game because had he watched many of the regular season and playoff games he might even think the opposite. That was a good football team from top to bottom. No reason they should not have won it all. Give credit to Ravenwood. They outplayed and outcoached a better football team that night.

I did only see two game in 2005 Riverdale and Ravenwood. and the offense was less than stellar in those two games but the defense was really good. Just my opinion...