State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

News flash. Last year Matt Lowe made a statement saying AE freshmen showed to freshmen jamboree without being invited. He told that to stevens and to coach Nix at Alcoa. i am actually a friend of Nix because I used to go to church in Alcoa at Mother Love. A lot of Alcoa players went there and talked very highly of coach Nix. So I think he is very truthful person. Of course Stevens told Graham and Nix told me. Graham made a good point in saying with their school budget why would he pay for a bus if he wasn't invited. Secondly before Oak Ridge, Alcoa and others start coming AE always came. (When no one else would come). And it wasn't Matt Lowe who invited him it was the booster club president. Well The booster club pres called coach Graham and apologized. Matt Lowe still hasn't said anything about it. Just goes to show you anyone can make a mistake. Talked to a college coach last week at UT. He made a good point about Stevens (A lot of people in Knoxville thought Stevens was good for football in Knoxville-brought integrity back to AE). How many players were offered college scholarships with Lussier. How many players ended up ineligible. It was so good befoer Stevens but were is Rock Hardin now. .What about Cory Booker,etc. etc. etc.

This is what a UT coach said. Honestly thinks Stevens hasn't had the hosses. Said the Clinton thing was blown out of proportion and it was the Clinton assistant that came to Stevens. Once again this was a UT coach. Finally From what I ehar from former players one time Joe Gaddis told the fans at clinton if you spit on me are my players I'm going to jail. But then there was no internet I guess. Stevens is a proven coach. He has done well in my opinion at AE and OR. 5A region has gotten a lot better. Credit to Farragut, William Blount and Ooltewah. Out of those teams Oak Rdige and Ooltewah will probably be the ones who continue to be good. He is a good enough coach to make a threat every year. When you talk to other great coaches they all will say Stevens is a great coach. Ask George Quarles, Buck Coatney, Courtney, Meske, Brewer, and graham Clark they will all say he does a good job. So any players reading this you are probably reading the opinion of someone who has never coached, probably never played past high school, and/or doing this for political reasons. You have a good coach. But furthermore you have good coaches. I am pretty sure they all work hard and all of them want you to be successful. These people on here want talk about how many of your players get high before the game. They want talk about how many of your players are selfish and does not do what the coaches ask them to do. They do not talk about how many players miss workouts and have a bunch of excuses or when the play called was a good call but the players didn't execute it. Funny thing is this is at all high schools. I did play past high school at a major D1 school. I have never been a coach and as a black male nor would I want to be. All you hear is negative. When you win you got better players, when you lose you got out coached. I read these boards and not once is there anyting positive about Stevens. I may disagree with people on hear but never have put down a coach or a player. I have my opinion about who I think will win and why but never make it personal. Well stevens i can say you have won a state championship. Be proud of it. You have gotten there more than once (not just at a 3A school). Have one of the highest winning percentages in the state of tennessee. You continue to believe in yourself. Get your coaches to believe in you and everything else will trickle down. Don't let these people get you down. Early success brings complacency get back in the war room and go to work.

Thank God. There's one sane person on here...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, OR Wildcat, take us away from the all the political talk and tell us about some football. Who is stepping up in the off-season? What new faces can we expect to see on the field? Who are the real leaders on your team? Who has the heart to lead the way? Tell us about your team.

Also, understand that adults judge the hustle, desire, and attitude of a team and its coaches. For some, it is not just wins and losses (although that does matter). Look at your own sideline's attitude in the past couple of years. It hasn't exactly been WILDCAT PRIDE. A winner's attitude can greatly affect the outcome of a game. Hopefully this year is different.

I know players read this board. So, who will be a leader along the lines of a Gulmire, a Mitchell, or a Vane? Your team needs all of the seniors to be strong leaders. Step up!

Actually, it is. As a current Oak Ridge football player I am getting sick of reading these threads. If you don't support us then that's your choice. But keep in mind we try the best that we can and all we(players) ask for in return is support from our fans. If you don't support us when we are losing then you shouldn't support us when we're winning. Oh, and what happens at practice? I'm curious. The only thing I've seen happening at practice is practice. Coach Stevens is all about integrity. Sure, some of his actions have suggested otherwise but he is a really good coach and man. Football is about so much more than winning. It's about the life lessons that we learn from it. Leadership, teamwork, etc. and if you people are so naive to think that it's all about winning then I don't want you at a game.

I've thought about this for a couple of days and really feel this needs addressing. So, ORWIildcat and other young men, here goes.

Many, many, many OR fans continue to support the players (as is our choice). There are some players that will never, ever quit or lay down when things are going wrong. BUT your statement about trying your best is not true for the whole team. How many times did we fans find out someone wasn't playing due to alcohol or attitude problems? How many times did we fans watch teenage players argue and/or ignore the coaches? How many times have we fans watched star players give up on a pass only to see your opponent intercept the ball (think William Blount)? How many times have we watched the sideline not pay attention or encourage one another? And I think you know there is a lot of dirt not mentioned here. These are things that we see when not looking through rose colored glasses. Some fans/supporters are of the opinion that this is due to the team's leadership or lack of it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. As for your coach's actions, there are two sides to every story. BUT, people will base their opinions based on another's actions. There is a life lesson you should learn from football. As far as that goes, as a young man, you have no idea yet of the "life lessons" you are learning. The majority of the people posting on this board have been through it already. Someday later in life, you will really know what football has taught you. You must be able to take care of a family and your business - learn from football to ALWAYS take care of your responsibility. You will work beside people that bother you and don't pull their weight - learn from football to pull yours and sometimes your teammates. Life is much tougher than football, you will lose a lot in life - learn from football to hold your head high and KNOW that you gave your absolute personal best in every situation. Learn to be a leader in football and you will be able to lead your children. There is so much you will realize about football, when it is 20 years behind you.

Yes, the fans want wins, but many, many more want to know that you are being lead in the right direction for the rest of your lives. And be assured many of us do not see it happening this way. Don't think of the adults as naive, most of us have been right where you are. Best of luck to you and your coach. Please prove us wrong!

I've thought about this for a couple of days and really feel this needs addressing. So, ORWIildcat and other young men, here goes.

Many, many, many OR fans continue to support the players (as is our choice). There are some players that will never, ever quit or lay down when things are going wrong. BUT your statement about trying your best is not true for the whole team. How many times did we fans find out someone wasn't playing due to alcohol or attitude problems? How many times did we fans watch teenage players argue and/or ignore the coaches? How many times have we fans watched star players give up on a pass only to see your opponent intercept the ball (think William Blount)? How many times have we watched the sideline not pay attention or encourage one another? And I think you know there is a lot of dirt not mentioned here. These are things that we see when not looking through rose colored glasses. Some fans/supporters are of the opinion that this is due to the team's leadership or lack of it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. As for your coach's actions, there are two sides to every story. BUT, people will base their opinions based on another's actions. There is a life lesson you should learn from football. As far as that goes, as a young man, you have no idea yet of the "life lessons" you are learning. The majority of the people posting on this board have been through it already. Someday later in life, you will really know what football has taught you. You must be able to take care of a family and your business - learn from football to ALWAYS take care of your responsibility. You will work beside people that bother you and don't pull their weight - learn from football to pull yours and sometimes your teammates. Life is much tougher than football, you will lose a lot in life - learn from football to hold your head high and KNOW that you gave your absolute personal best in every situation. Learn to be a leader in football and you will be able to lead your children. There is so much you will realize about football, when it is 20 years behind you.

Yes, the fans want wins, but many, many more want to know that you are being lead in the right direction for the rest of your lives. And be assured many of us do not see it happening this way. Don't think of the adults as naive, most of us have been right where you are. Best of luck to you and your coach. Please prove us wrong!

Good post!

Another prime example for you also. When my son was playing for R'dale his primary resonsibility was protecting the QB and blocking for his running backs. This he tried his best to do and was somewhat successful at doing. Today he is in Kuwait and will be entering Iraq tomorrow. His job right now is part of the security team for his Brigade Commander. In plain terms he is protecting the 'QB' once again. Only thing this time it is with a gun in his hands and the other side IS playing for keeps! Thing is he knows how to protect from football and knows if he messes up it will have deadly consequences now. Life and football teaches lots of things besides scoring.

Good post!

Another prime example for you also. When my son was playing for R'dale his primary resonsibility was protecting the QB and blocking for his running backs. This he tried his best to do and was somewhat successful at doing. Today he is in Kuwait and will be entering Iraq tomorrow. His job right now is part of the security team for his Brigade Commander. In plain terms he is protecting the 'QB' once again. Only thing this time it is with a gun in his hands and the other side IS playing for keeps! Thing is he knows how to protect from football and knows if he messes up it will have deadly consequences now. Life and football teaches lots of things besides scoring.

Lost Old Dad - thank you to your son from a West Point Cadet's father.

My son has just begun his Firstie (senior) year at West Point. He credits his high school football experience in great part to preparing him for his military service. Football taught him discipline, work ethic, and what it takes from a mental standpoint to be a real leader of men. I'm sure your son would say the same.

Godspeed to your son as he enters Iraq.

I want to make one thing clear....I support this program, I will be at the games, and I want the team to win and be successful. I want these players to experience the success that has been Oak Ridge Football over the years, they are only going to be in the program 4 years at most, and I want them to be able to look back the rest of their lives and take pride in their teams. What I am questioning on here is the Administration's support for football in Oak Ridge and the quality of this program. I am not sure that is their agenda. To the players I can only say, ignore this debate, and get your tails in that weight room and to practice and work hard, and get your grades in shape too. The grades will matter for you the rest of your life. To the coaches I can only say, this must be your best coaching job yet, give the maximum effort.