Volunteer Falcons 2008?

VHSFALCONS

Im sure the Falcons will be fine this year. As the backfield goes, they may not have my size, but they are fast and can cut a heck of alot better than I ever could. Speed wont be an issue neither. As of Devin, I spoke to him when I visted the middle school. He didnt say much or anything if I can remember? But if he is cocky as I hear he is, he will be humbled. Just give it time... And he may need to gain another 80lbs? Anyway, The team will be alright this year. I know ill make the time for several games.

Good luck.

-Barlow

Nice article on Tricitiessports.com about the Falcons and Devin.

Talks about young players making an impact in the Tri-Cities on 4A and 5A teams.

Devin actually had over 1500 yards last year and averaged about 7 to 10 carries a game since he was not needed in the second half since they were up so much.

22 td's as well.

Here is the actual link to the article

http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp...rts&he=.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Volunteer will be alright this season. I'm looking for my boys Bennett and Antonio to have a huge year. Luke can handle the job. I think he'll do a fine job at QB. As for Devin, I don't see him starting at all this year. Probably very limited playing time IF any. I've seen him play a little bit and he has speed. At the Varsity level though, nearly every team has a little speed. To really break through at Running back you need a good balance of speed and bulk. Give him a year in the weightroom with the coaching staff and he could make a huge impact and start soph-sr years if he continues to work the hardest. This isn't Coach Rider's first time out, hes a very smart coach. He knows that no matter how much God-given talent a kid has, nothing can substitute for experience. I don't see coach letting his 150 lb. freshman prodigy get his world rocked. Believe me the LB's for east, west, and G-ville would light his world up. Look for him to stir things up next year and the years to follow.

Mays#12

Nice article on Tricitiessports.com about the Falcons and Devin.

Talks about young players making an impact in the Tri-Cities on 4A and 5A teams.

Devin actually had over 1500 yards last year and averaged about 7 to 10 carries a game since he was not needed in the second half since they were up so much.

22 td's as well.

Here is the actual link to the article

http://www.tricitiessports.com/default.asp...rts&he=.com

The article was a bit disappointing not because it was about Devin but because their more to talk about on that TEAM then just a single person. The TEAM didn't look to bad at all. The defense tackled well for a first contact with someone other then the practice squad. From the looks of things I hope they don't have to go to a back up QB at any point. If they do that might not be good as of now. I can assure you that someone will be lined up and ready if that were to happen. I believe that volunteer could very well make that forth spot of the playoffs and with a little falling of the football fall into the third spot. The over all outlook of the team D small in size but will still hit you and have the speed to get to the ball. O they are a working progress and didn't look bad for the first time out this preseason they got backs that can hit the whole Issac fighting for extra yards, Cody coming in a hitting holes and running, and devin he will be fine under weight (fixable), fumbles (fixable), and just general knowledge of the game (fixable). I don't feel he will be the breakout as the DB and Tenn high running backs were as a freshmen but he will make his presence known maybe not so much this year but years to come. Best of luck to the Falcons season is just weeks away!

Go Falcons!

Go Wasp!

-Smith25(52)

The article was a bit disappointing not because it was about Devin but because their more to talk about on that TEAM then just a single person. The TEAM didn't look to bad at all. The defense tackled well for a first contact with someone other then the practice squad. From the looks of things I hope they don't have to go to a back up QB at any point. If they do that might not be good as of now. I can assure you that someone will be lined up and ready if that were to happen. I believe that volunteer could very well make that forth spot of the playoffs and with a little falling of the football fall into the third spot. The over all outlook of the team D small in size but will still hit you and have the speed to get to the ball. O they are a working progress and didn't look bad for the first time out this preseason they got backs that can hit the whole Issac fighting for extra yards, Cody coming in a hitting holes and running, and devin he will be fine under weight (fixable), fumbles (fixable), and just general knowledge of the game (fixable). I don't feel he will be the breakout as the DB and Tenn high running backs were as a freshmen but he will make his presence known maybe not so much this year but years to come. Best of luck to the Falcons season is just weeks away!

Go Falcons!

Go Wasp!

-Smith25(52)

Just thought I would visit the Falcons thread and after seeing this talk on here, I thought I would chime in.

I read the article on the Rogers kid and I must say it sounds like he had a great season last year. In all my years I have never seen an article on a football player going into their freshman season before they have even taken a snap in a live game. Which means one thing, word is out on the Rogers kid, sure anyone that faced him last year knows about him, because in the game I saw him play it was hard to catch him, and if you did catch him he was hard to take down.

I am sure any high school in the region would love to have a player like him coming into their school.

My question to people of volunteer(former players it looks like) Why are you hating on Rogers? I know if he was coming to the school I graduated from I would be praising him, and just be happy that he didn't transfer to another program.

Does it make you feel like a man to get on here and talk down about him? How would you feel if someone was talking about you badly on a public forum for everyone to read when you were 13 or 14? Have you ever said anything to him personally, if not why wouldn't you just go and tell him what you think about his playing ability.

The program that I support would love to have him come on, and give us four years of hard work.

I'm not downing him one bit never have the only thing that got me fired up is that he come in "saying he was the starter" but I guess I have been told other wise. I was going off of what I was told not what I heard in person and that was my bad. If I ever do talk to the kid I will till him how I think he plays I've never been afraid to let people know what I think. I always like when people point out things to me then I can think and evaluate what they said next time on the field and try to get better or change the bad things. As you read from my last post I said he will be just fine.If he does earn the starting spot then I don't believe that it will be like it was with Shane giving the ball every down or working him like a horse this year unless they know that he isn't going to be hit and taking a beating because size is down. Next year with a year of working out I could see him gaining 15-20 lb and he could very well take a role of work horse. I don't believe any RB at Volunteer will be the soul work horse with three or four good backs that can run the ball hard and effective they will be rotated and kept fresh. I support Falcon athletics just as much if not more then most people who have played and graduated because they have got me to where I am in my career now. So if I hurt his feelings I'm sorry but if I were him I would take it different because I did when something was said oh here about me or a team I was on I liked to use it as motivation or use it to prove people wrong.

Go Falcons

Go Wasps

-Smith25(52)

Just thought I would visit the Falcons thread and after seeing this talk on here, I thought I would chime in.

I read the article on the Rogers kid and I must say it sounds like he had a great season last year. In all my years I have never seen an article on a football player going into their freshman season before they have even taken a snap in a live game. Which means one thing, word is out on the Rogers kid, sure anyone that faced him last year knows about him, because in the game I saw him play it was hard to catch him, and if you did catch him he was hard to take down.

I am sure any high school in the region would love to have a player like him coming into their school.

My question to people of volunteer(former players it looks like) Why are you hating on Rogers? I know if he was coming to the school I graduated from I would be praising him, and just be happy that he didn't transfer to another program.

Does it make you feel like a man to get on here and talk down about him? How would you feel if someone was talking about you badly on a public forum for everyone to read when you were 13 or 14? Have you ever said anything to him personally, if not why wouldn't you just go and tell him what you think about his playing ability.

The program that I support would love to have him come on, and give us four years of hard work.

I agree with Ed. I'm in no way trying to down him. Only using what I have learned after a 4 year varsity career. The first varsity game I played in was as a freshman against morristown west, and I absolutly got murdered. I weighed about 145-150 lbs and maybe 5'11". So all I'm doing is using past expereince of the game to say I dont think he'll be a big impact this year but definitly in the years to come. I could be wrong, no one can tell for sure. He may get a snap one game and rattle off a 70 yd. TD and remain sitting in the #1 spot the rest of the year on the depth chart. I'm only stating the odds are kinda stacked against him to have a big year this year, but definitly stacked in his favor for the years to come. I'm not sure why you are pointing out past players as the sole ones "downing" him. As a newly graduated player, I would like to take pride in the football teams to come. To think I, or my fellow 21 Seniors this year had in some way helped underclassmen, and even younger than that like middle school. I would hope they would look up to us and strive to be better than us. Every year wanting more and more.

In any case, Are we playing Boone in the Jamboree again?

Mays#12

Bump Mays...but i dont see anyone "hating on Rogers." The thing is for us former players of the the past few years. We have been through the VHS football program and we know how it is. We have been playing with these upcoming seniors since they were freshman. And 2 of the candidates for the running back position run hard and can find holes and have been in the mix since their sophmore year. I know both of them have had alot of JV time and a good share of Varsity time. This isn't their first rodeo.

Bump Mays...but i dont see anyone "hating on Rogers." The thing is for us former players of the the past few years. We have been through the VHS football program and we know how it is. We have been playing with these upcoming seniors since they were freshman. And 2 of the candidates for the running back position run hard and can find holes and have been in the mix since their sophmore year. I know both of them have had alot of JV time and a good share of Varsity time. This isn't their first rodeo.

The kid grew up alot yesterday in the GC scrimmage . I thought he made good decisions running the ball made good cuts and seems to have natural running ability with some obvious speed . He is only going to get better . The other 2 backs did extremely well also . There is some speed and power with both these kids . Overall , I thought the offense looked like it is going to be well balanced , and is going to surprise some people . Any comments on the defensive side of the ball.

The kid grew up alot yesterday in the GC scrimmage . I thought he made good decisions running the ball made good cuts and seems to have natural running ability with some obvious speed . He is only going to get better . The other 2 backs did extremely well also . There is some speed and power with both these kids . Overall , I thought the offense looked like it is going to be well balanced , and is going to surprise some people . Any comments on the defensive side of the ball.

I thought the defense looked really good, especially when they got backed up on their side of the field for almost an entire quarter it seemed like and didn't give up a score. They are definitely not as "big" as last years team but seem to possess alot of speed and get to the ball well and will lay a lick when they get there. Biggest thing for improvement is all the arm tackling going on instead of wrapping up and waiting for help, something I know the coaches will see on film and have addressed before season. Overall I think the Falcons looked good and have an outstanding chance of making the playoffs again this year for the 3rd straight time!! The conference is really going to be a tough one this year so it will take a few balls bouncing our way... but it always seems to be that way in every football season. GOOD LUCK BOYS!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

"LET'S ROLL FALCONS"

Jamboree Friday. Falcons have beat Boone in the one quarter showdown two years in a row. Even though I always hated playing in jamboree's i DO think they can give a team somewhat of a confidence boost. Get to play someone in your own conference and know how you stack up. Good luck Falcons, and remember this doesnt mean anything. So don't play soft, but don't kill yourself out there either. The real season is far more important than all this pre-season junk. Anyways, hopefully both team can make it through injury free!

Go Falcons!

I'm with you. It seems like there are alot of people, former players mostly, that quite frankly are jealous of the talents of a 14 year old. I support every player on that team and wish nothing but the best to ones who have since graduated, but to talk negatively about a 14 year old kid who loves the game and gives it his whole heart 100% of the time is just disgusting. Oh wow, big deal-he's a freshman. I'm sure you guys that are gone now remember what it was like to be little guy or the new guy, it just so happens Devin has alot of attention on him right now because he is an especially gifted player, but don't try to get people to think badly about him, he needs the support of his team and the community around the Falcons, that whole team does-freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Devin is a great kid who honestly is just glad to be there and be given the opportunity to be a part of that team and play with the guys at Volunteer. ANYONE who would ever try to say they heard of Devin saying or doing anything that would lead someone to believe he is cocky is a liar, they go off of hearsay which I'm sure is started by a hater. As far as being humbled, he is humble. He is a smart, shy kid and you younger people are mistaking that for cockiness. He's a freshman-how big is he supposed to be? I don't recall Volunteer having any really big players in the past years, not since the late 90's. From what I know he has more than begun to prove himself as an asset to that team and I mean TEAM as in a whole. Falcons- I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming season and remember to support each other as a team. [

You do realize that Sensabaugh from DB was classed a freshman but was the same age as sophomores and some juniors. He had almost 2 full years of growth on other freshman, of course he was a "freshman" standout.

Go Falcons!

Go Wasp!

-Smith25(52)