tssaa rule

engineer1

Situation:

Player A does not make the varsity team, but plays travel ball with Team Green. Player B also plays with team Green, but she did make the varsity. Player A is jealous.

Team Green Coach calls player B for a Sunday afternoon batting practice session. Player B goes. At the end of practice, Coach decides to work on the squeeze play for 5 minutes. He puts a runner on 3rd. Player B is at the plate for one pitch. The next day, Player A calls TSSAA to report that player B has participated in a game situation with her travel ball team. By rule, after appropriate investigation, Player B is ruled ineligible.

Why risk it? No matter what TSSAA allows, it is not a wise move to practice with a travel ball team of the same sport during the high school season. That is why most high school coaches do not allow their players to do so, if they can prevent it.

You better hope your girl is playing for a travel coach smart enough to know the difference. I agree with most on here that travel practice for the most part isn't necessary during school season. I intend to have one short practice with my travel team soon. The purpose of this practice will only be to hit ground balls and fly balls to the girls and better determine what I need to persue to round out my roster. I still have one spot I need to fill. I've added a few girls to my roster and need to see which ones are versitile enough to play anywhere on the field. Unfortunately due to the fact that Travel teams are often made up of girls from as many as 6 or 7 different high school teams, you don't know exactly what a girls limitations are until you work her out for yourself.

One other thing about your above scenerio. I doubt many girls who play on a travel team were ever cut from a high school team. My experience is that most travel teams are made up of only the top level high school players. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Your kid didn't make their team huh? Or is it because your kid plays on a competing team that has gotten whipped by them?/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Why do people start this junk?

no my daughter does not play on the mud dawgs or and travel team. i just hear all the parents fighting among themselves . I dont see how a kid can enjoy travel ball watching all this. beacause they get in high school and play ball the coach makes the call on the players. Parents get involved it hurts the kid

no my daughter does not play on the mud dawgs or and travel team. i just hear all the parents fighting among themselves . I dont see how a kid can enjoy travel ball watching all this. beacause they get in high school and play ball the coach makes the call on the players. Parents get involved it hurts the kid

i sense some bad feelings here. i think you started this thread out more or leas accusing girls of playing travel ball during H.S. season and then parents arguing at H.S. games........where's the correlation between the two? all your doing is stiring up trouble that you can't back up, know nothing about the team and/or people involved with it and causing people who look at this site to think bad thoughts. and you talk about hurting kids? brother look in the mirror! you need to get a life!

i sense some bad feelings here. i think you started this thread out more or leas accusing girls of playing travel ball during H.S. season and then parents arguing at H.S. games........where's the correlation between the two? all your doing is stiring up trouble that you can't back up, know nothing about the team and/or people involved with it and causing people who look at this site to think bad thoughts. and you talk about hurting kids? brother look in the mirror! you need to get a life!

Im not stirring up trouble. and yall are not paying attention to what im saying. TRAVEL BALL is where all the parents are arguing and fighting and causing kids to either quit or not enjoy playing TRAVEL BALL. I dont care that any of you are on THE MUD DAWGS. Dont care. I was told by someone that it was not a rule in the tssaa rule book that the high school coaches make the decsion on the practicing with travel ball teams.from all that was posted. I do want to say that travel ball has hurt town ball teams not just in softball and baseball. And yes I can back up the statement that was made on THE MUD DAWGS that a person was going to practice the teams THE MUD DAWGS while they were on the hs team. so yes i can back that up

Im not stirring up trouble. and yall are not paying attention to what im saying. TRAVEL BALL is where all the parents are arguing and fighting and causing kids to either quit or not enjoy playing TRAVEL BALL. I dont care that any of you are on THE MUD DAWGS. Dont care. I was told by someone that it was not a rule in the tssaa rule book that the high school coaches make the decsion on the practicing with travel ball teams.from all that was posted. I do want to say that travel ball has hurt town ball teams not just in softball and baseball. And yes I can back up the statement that was made on THE MUD DAWGS that a person was going to practice the teams THE MUD DAWGS while they were on the hs team. so yes i can back that up

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

From your initial post on this thread:

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

Engineer1, In your initial post on this thread, you mention that the Mud Dawgs "think they can PLAY" as a travel team during H.S. season.

Now, in your most recent post, you are saying that a "person" was planning to practice the Mud Dawgs .

Which is it? Are they playing or practicing? Did the same "someone" that told you the TSSAA rules tell you this? You say you can "back up" your statements....Please do.

You also claim that you don't care about the Mud Dawgs. If that's so, why do you bother mentioning them in the first post (and your last one) on this thread? If this thread was only intended as a rules question (and it's obvious that it wasn't), you would have never bothered mentioning them in two different posts on this thread.

I don't know why the Mud Dawgs are such a sore subject, but it's easy to see that you have a personal problem with with someone on that team.

Whatever that problem may be, I hope you feel better real soon. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• 12 years later...

No I’dea who the Mud Dawgs are but good luck and God bless them. Just a little different angle on the whole mess. Most high level travel softball kids only play School ball to hang out with their friends and have some fun. It’s seldom very competitive and has nothing to do with making it to college ball. Honestly these kids are doing the High Schools a favor. How bout the TSSAA gets out of the way and minds their own business. They are hampering these kids ability to play where College coaches are actually watching. They should be interested in helping kids not harming their chances of playing in College, which is EXACTLY what they are doing.

Jimbob9, let's not totally discount high school ball. Yes, I am a hs coach, but I was a travel coach long before. My college roommate is an sec coach with an ncaa national championship- regarded as one of the best recruiters in softball. Conversations we have had even before i was a coach lead me to believe that there is definite value in playing high school ball. travel ball has changed recruiting- college coaches can go to a showcase tournament and see hundreds of prospects in a weekend as opposed to traveling to hundreds of different high school games, which happen to take place during the collegiate season. The argument has been made on this board so I won't rehash it. College coaches are recruiting parents and travel ball coaches as much as they are the players- so they have to tell them how important they are. When they call me they aren't worried about the perception of mom and dad- they want to know about the character of the kid. grades, can they lead (their hs teammates who aren't as experienced), whats their work ethic like and how do they handle obstacles.  My last point- mom and dad driving 2 hours for a travel ball practice 2x/week is not commitment on the kids part. Staying after school for conditioning in the fall or volunteering to front toss to a teammate afterwards is.

• Like 2

Very good points. Counter point Is the kids that really want to put in the extra effort should be able to do both. TSSAA is harming the kid that is capable and has the desire to do both Hs ball and competitive travel ball. They are two different animals and one really has very little to do with the other.

• Like 1