tssaa rule

engineer1

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

My understanding is...players on HS team can not practice or play with their travel teams until their HS season is completely finished.

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

These are excerpts from the online TSSAA handbook. I think they make it pretty clear.

Once a student's name is listed on the school eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible as explained below.

Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate ??“ regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of the number of contests allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season.

A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal. After such a request has been filed with the state office, a student may then participate as an independent without penalty. If a principal requests the state office to remove a student's name from the school's eligibility list, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport

Q. May a player participate in a scrimmage, practice game or game with an independent team after being registered with TSSAA in that sport?

A. No. The student shall be ineligible immediately in the sport in which the violation occurs.

Q. Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team?

A. No, provided he/she participates in practice situations only (batting practice, infield practice, etc.), provided no game situations are involved.

Q. A student is registered on the girls??™ softball team with school A. The student then participates in an independent girls??™ softball game. She then returns to school A??™s softball team where she plays three games. The coach of school A determines that the student has played in an independent game and reports the violation to the state office. What is the penalty?

A. School A has played an ineligible player for three games. The three games will be forfeited and disciplinary action will be taken. The student is ineligible for nine games. (If a student participates in three contests as an ineligible player, the three contests will be forfeited, disciplinary action will be taken against the school, and the student will be ineligible to participate in the next nine contests or for the remainder of the season, whichever is the least.)

OK...but I would suggest a player and/or parents check with their HS coach first.

It is legal to practice according to TSSAA as long as it isn't a game-type environment....That question is ask directly on the TSSAA website!

http://tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

Under the Independent Game Participation section toward the bottom of the handbook Question number four states:

"Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team?"

TSSAA answer..." No provided he/she participates in practice situations only(batting practice, infield, etc..) provided on game situations are involved.

Some high school athletes are being told that they are jeopardizing their eligibility by participating in these practices and that is obviously not true. If a particular coach wants to invoke this rule on his players, that is within his right. I just don't like to hear that the player has been lied to concerning TSSAA. She has done nothing to hurt her eligibility provided the above stated is what took place. I agree it is a good idea to inform the high school coach, but he can't use the TSSAA as an excuse for not allowing it.

It is legal to practice according to TSSAA as long as it isn't a game-type environment....That question is ask directly on the TSSAA website!http://tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdfUnder the Independent Game Participation section toward the bottom of the handbook Question number four states:"Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team?"TSSAA answer..." No provided he/she participates in practice situations only(batting practice, infield, etc..) provided on game situations are involved.Some high school athletes are being told that they are jeopardizing their eligibility by participating in these practices and that is obviously not true. If a particular coach wants to invoke this rule on his players, that is within his right. I just don't like to hear that the player has been lied to concerning TSSAA. She has done nothing to hurt her eligibility provided the above stated is what took place. I agree it is a good idea to inform the high school coach, but he can't use the TSSAA as an excuse for not allowing it.

One more thought on this subject. I believe the parents should keep a close eye and communicate clearly with the HS coach and the travel team coach,to insure their son/daughter's arm is not overworked, and jeopardize the HS coach's plans for that player. I believe when HS team is playing, it should get 1st priority, and when travel ball starts, it should get 1st priority. Just my opinion.

You can practice in non-game situations.

Are you sure? I called TSSAA about this last year because I had heard conflicting stories & I was told no they can't even practice with another team(same sport...slow or fast pitch) or they will be considered ineligible. I wouldn't risk it because those few extra practices aren't worth throwing away a HS season.

Are you sure? I called TSSAA about this last year because I had heard conflicting stories & I was told no they can't even practice with another team(same sport...slow or fast pitch) or they will be considered ineligible. I wouldn't risk it because those few extra practices aren't worth throwing away a HS season.

Yes...I am sure about this one. The above suggestions are good ones. Make sure the high school coach approves first. Absolutely...do not practice game type situations. Maybe the tssaa should just ban it altogether to avoid confusion.

Yes...I am sure about this one. The above suggestions are good ones. Make sure the high school coach approves first. Absolutely...do not practice game type situations. Maybe the tssaa should just ban it altogether to avoid confusion.

I dont believe in banning the practices , just follow the rules. It is easy, no game situations. Travel coaches are good at teaching fundamentals. That is always good for the girls.

I agree with you completely. There are too many ifs, ands or buts to risk it. I would not want to risk a HS season over a practice with a travel team & it's not like they aren't getting plenty of practice being on the HS team anyway. As a HS coach I would not want any of my girls to risk it either.

About the official ruling...I have a friend that is a niece to one of the directors in TSSAA & we were talking about this one day & she told me to call a certain guy and find out for sure. When I talked to him he told me that if you are registered (being on a roster) with TSSAA that you can not practice or anything with another organized sport or you would be deemed ineligible for your HS team. I'm sure there is a fine line with the do's & don??™ts and maybe they just say "not to practice" because there are so many different situations. I know everyone has their own interpretations about it but I'm going with what I heard directly just to be safe.

I didn??™t even think about grade school softball...does it fall under TSSAA sanction too? Does anyone know for sure?