again putting their left leg in front of the plate, BEFORE they have control

of the throw. Was the rule changed back to the old way, or are the umpires

just not enforcing the rule?

Opinions????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the softball rule on when a catcher can and can not block the plate, when a player is attempting to slide in home, was changed a couple of years ago. However, in most of the games I have seen this year, the catchers are again putting their left leg in front of the plate, BEFORE they have controlof the throw. Was the rule changed back to the old way, or are the umpiresjust not enforcing the rule?Opinions????

Coach T....why is my post listed on message board 3 times???

It's listed three times cause its a much better topic than METAL or Rubber Spikes.

I think the rule is the same, we are just in a sport of high strung athletes that get ahead of themselves sometimes. Just like with any other rule, once someone gets hurt again we will start enforcing the blocking without play rule.

It's listed three times cause its a much better topic than METAL or Rubber Spikes.

I think the rule is the same, we are just in a sport of high strung athletes that get ahead of themselves sometimes. Just like with any other rule, once someone gets hurt again we will start enforcing the blocking without play rule.

Does the blocking without play rule also apply to the bases?

Does the blocking without play rule also apply to the bases?

Yes, it applies to all bases but I think catchers get away with it more. Unfortunately, it all comes down to the umpire??™s judgment and you can try to argue a judgment call but 9 out of 10 you will not win.

While we are talking about blocking...I had a bone head call made on my team a few weeks ago about interference. My player missed the third strike and it hit the catcher??™s leg & rolled down 1st base line. The catcher went after the ball, the pitcher was right in front of her & my runner had to go around both of them. Catcher and pitcher were side by side blocking the runner??™s path and the catcher had the ball in her hand. She did have to go around them to avoid contact but let me stress NOT to avoid the tag. The catcher couldn't have tagged her even if she tried because the pitcher was between her & the runner. My girl beat the throw to first. Now, what do you think should have been the call?

Yes, it applies to all bases but I think catchers get away with it more. Unfortunately, it all comes down to the umpire??™s judgment and you can try to argue a judgment call but 9 out of 10 you will not win. While we are talking about blocking...I had a bone head call made on my team a few weeks ago about interference. My player missed the third strike and it hit the catcher??™s leg & rolled down 1st base line. The catcher went after the ball, the pitcher was right in front of her & my runner had to go around both of them. Catcher and pitcher were side by side blocking the runner??™s path and the catcher had the ball in her hand. She did have to go around them to avoid contact but let me stress NOT to avoid the tag. The catcher couldn't have tagged her even if she tried because the pitcher was between her & the runner. My girl beat the throw to first. Now, what do you think should have been the call?

My GUESS would be....defensive interference, with runner being awarded first base, if thrown out. However, by your post, I assume your runner was called out due to umpire's judgement, the batter/runner tried to avoid the tag. What was called?

In FED, no such thing as defensive interference.

If pitcher and catcher are going after the ball, only 1 of them is protected as a fielder.

If your runner beat the throw, it sounds like a pretty good no call to me.

So, who's the bonehead? The umpire that made a good no call or you who wanted an unwarranted call? Learn the rules.