Catcher's blocking plate

hits123

In FED, no such thing as defensive interference.

If pitcher and catcher are going after the ball, only 1 of them is protected as a fielder.

If your runner beat the throw, it sounds like a pretty good no call to me.

So, who's the bonehead? The umpire that made a good no call or you who wanted an unwarranted call? Learn the rules.

No such thing as defensive interference, but there is such a thing as obstruction.

Which rule book are you guys referring to? Which association? ASA? NFHS?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there is obstruction.

The post I responded to said "defensive interference."

Rule book? Notice where I said.."In FED..."

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with FED, what does that stand for? I believe this is a Tennessee High School sports forum.

My GUESS would be....defensive interference, with runner being awarded first base, if thrown out. However, by your post, I assume your runner was called out due to umpire's judgement, the batter/runner tried to avoid the tag. What was called?

Your right, she was called out for being out of the baseline. It should have been called obstruction/interference (it all means the same) on the behalf of the pitcher because she didn't have possession of the ball (the catcher had it). I brought it up to the Ump but he had already made the call. My point is...it was his "judgment" and it's very hard to argue a judgment call. I let him know that I was upset & told him what the ruling should have been and why but I let it go. Arguing with him was just going to make it worse. After the game he was big enough to admit it was the wrong call. My husband umpired TSSAA for 2 yrs & I have umpired younger girls fast pitch for 3 yrs ...I can tell you on judgment calls you have to stand behind what you call or it does undermine their judgment in the eyes of the coaches/fans/players. In my eyes I know they can??™t always get them right but as a coach you have to stand up for your players. There are times to stand & argue (on a rule call) & times you let the ump know you??™re unhappy & let it go.

In FED, no such thing as defensive interference.

If pitcher and catcher are going after the ball, only 1 of them is protected as a fielder.

If your runner beat the throw, it sounds like a pretty good no call to me.

So, who's the bonehead? The umpire that made a good no call or you who wanted an unwarranted call? Learn the rules.

I stated I thought I had a bone head call in a game the other night. I told what happened & asked what anyone thought the call should be. Why get on here and be a ...you didn't even wait to see what he called before you said who was the bonehead by "wanting an unwarranted call". My player beat the throw but she was called out because she ran out of the baseline. I brought up the player interference by the pitcher but he stuck by his judgment call. However, after the game he told me he made the wrong call. The ump use to play ball with my husband & he is a good fair gut but he just missed a call like every ump has. I have no idea what a FED is but just so you know in HS softball they go by ASA/NFHS rules. The rule book does call it obstruction & interference both (offence & defense). If you had any sense at all you knew what hits123 meant by post defensive interference. Before you??™re so quick to judge and berate other people I guess you should pick up an ASA book so you can learn the ASA/NFHS rules too.

I will have to agree you about the blocked base rule....You are right about the player being able to block a base with the ball or if the the play was imminent.

I stated I thought I had a bone head call in a game the other night. I told what happened & asked what anyone thought the call should be. Why get on here and be a ...you didn't even wait to see what he called before you said who was the bonehead by "wanting an unwarranted call". My player beat the throw but she was called out because she ran out of the baseline. I brought up the player interference by the pitcher but he stuck by his judgment call. However, after the game he told me he made the wrong call. The ump use to play ball with my husband & he is a good fair gut but he just missed a call like every ump has. I have no idea what a FED is but just so you know in HS softball they go by ASA/NFHS rules. The rule book does call it obstruction & interference both (offence & defense). If you had any sense at all you knew what hits123 meant by post defensive interference. Before you??™re so quick to judge and berate other people I guess you should pick up an ASA book so you can learn the ASA/NFHS rules too.

I will have to agree you about the blocked base rule....You are right about the player being able to block a base with the ball or if the the play was imminent.

You want to talk about blown calls and blocking bases look at this call from Soddy Daisy vs GPS. The GPS girl is called safe, which would have been the third out of the inning and a 2-1 Soddy Daisy lead. Both umps called the girls safe.( SD has the ball in her glove)

You want to talk about blown calls and blocking bases look at this call from Soddy Daisy vs GPS. The GPS girl is called safe, which would have been the third out of the inning and a 2-1 Soddy Daisy lead. Both umps called the girls safe.( SD has the ball in her glove)

wow! That is a perfectly timed picture and obvious she is out. Who made the first call on it home plate or field ump?

No it hasn't.

Last year, if a PLAY WAS IMMINENT, the base could be blocked.

I thought the rule had already been changed. You shouldn't be able to block the plate without the ball. It's dangerous for the runner and the catcher. Runners have to slide at home when a play is imminent. The rule did need to be changed...to clarify. Otherwise...a catcher could block the runner short of the plate and then get the ball and tag. The runner does not have the option of running over the catcher.

If she did block the base before she caught the ball...she would be safe under the new rule...right? She obviously has her foot in front of the bag to block. I wouldn't teach that technique with steel cleats coming at her. That's a good way to get hurt.

Also...it's difficult to tell from the picture if she pushed the runner's leg up off of the bag. I did used to teach that. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

If she did block the base before she caught the ball...she would be safe under the new rule...right? She obviously has her foot in front of the bag to block. I wouldn't teach that technique with steel cleats coming at her. That's a good way to get hurt.Also...it's difficult to tell from the picture if she pushed the runner's leg up off of the bag. I did used to teach that. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

What a recipe for injuries....changing the blocking rule and allowing metal cleats in the same year.

I would think for safety reasons, the blocking rule should have been changed one year, and allow the player's

to adjust, then allow metal cleats the following year! JMO

What a recipe for injuries....changing the blocking rule and allowing metal cleats in the same year.

I would think for safety reasons, the blocking rule should have been changed one year, and allow the player's

to adjust, then allow metal cleats the following year! JMO

To my knowledge, the only rule changes in Tennessee HS softball this year were allowing metal cleats, requiring the batter to get in the box within 10 seconds and a similar requirement for how long a pitcher has to pitch the ball. Am I wrong here?

I thought the rule had already been changed. You shouldn't be able to block the plate without the ball. It's dangerous for the runner and the catcher. Runners have to slide at home when a play is imminent. The rule did need to be changed...to clarify. Otherwise...a catcher could block the runner short of the plate and then get the ball and tag. The runner does not have the option of running over the catcher.

Runners NEVER have to slide. NEVER!