Catcher's blocking plate

hits123

wow! That is a perfectly timed picture and obvious she is out. Who made the first call on it home plate or field ump?

Perception...it looks to me that the runner's leg is touching the fielder's arm instead of the glove...therefore...safe (no tag).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perception...it looks to me that the runner's leg is touching the fielder's arm instead of the glove...therefore...safe (no tag).

Believe me it is a lot easier to call in a picture than in real time. In a game it goes so quick and it is hard to tell in a close call. Most Umpires will tell you when a play is to close to tell that if a girl slides ??¦they will give the call to the runner. I have an umpire rule book at home so I will look it up but I??™m 90% sure it says for an umpire to never guess an out.

About the tag, everyone sees it different but from the picture her top part of the glove/wrist is touching her leg. It looks like the runner waited to late to slide and had she slide earlier the tag looks like it would be too high or too late.

Antwan...It doesn't look like she was pushing her leg off the base because the runner still has a forward motion by looking at the dirt and her knee.lol I'm sure if we all admit it we have told our girls different little techniques to getting a call /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Runners NEVER have to slide. NEVER!

You make it sound like a runner can just run over anyone with the ball. Lets clear this up...There is no slide rule but it is a rule that the runner has to try to avoid contact or a collision. Once again it is the umpire??™s judgment and in his opinion the contact was unnecessary or flagrant he should call the runner out. I have witnessed too many accidents from girls going into the base standing up & running over the baseman.

To my knowledge, the only rule changes in Tennessee HS softball this year were allowing metal cleats, requiring the batter to get in the box within 10 seconds and a similar requirement for how long a pitcher has to pitch the ball. Am I wrong here?

I stand corrected.

Also, when does the 10 second count begin for hitter and pitcher?

I stand corrected.

Also, when does the 10 second count begin for hitter and pitcher?

When the pitcher has control in the circle. The pitcher has roughly about 10 seconds( it has been generous with most umps) to deliver the pitch & the batter has about the same time to get in the box after the pitcher has taken control in teh circle. I think it will help move the game along.

When the pitcher has control in the circle. The pitcher has roughly about 10 seconds( it has been generous with most umps) to deliver the pitch & the batter has about the same time to get in the box after the pitcher has taken control in teh circle. I think it will help move the game along.

I like that rule. I have seen too many batters doing one or more of the following between each pitch:

walking half way down 3B line to get signals, taking 3-4 practice swings, adjusting batting gloves, walk back toward box, pick up some dirt, put up hand to ask for time, step in box, digging in, then twirling their bat.

I would have thought the rules were same in Alabama since we go by NFHS also. Our obstruction rule is worded something like "fielder cannot block base unless fielding a batted ball (rather than ball being thrown by other fielder)that has not passed an infielder other than the pitcher". I don't recall seeing mention of how many fielders can go after the ball. Of course, not too many situations would bring two fielders in front of a runner. Since it was 3rd dropped strike, not sure if that rule would have applied either. Two years ago they got remarkably tough on obstruction at home plate here. We lost 3rd round sub-state game by one run because our catcher had the ball, dropped it, picked up and tagged before offensive player reached. Umpire said when she dropped it, she lost possesion so she was blocking it illegally. They loosened up last year and are pretty much ignoring it this year. Another difference is in Alabama batter has to return to box within 10 seconds of ball back in pitchers circle and pitcher has to deliver pitch within 10 seconds of batter returning to box.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure but I believe in TN the pitcher has 10 seconds to start her motion after she steps on the pitchers mound. Not from the moment she takes possession of the ball. The batter has 10 seconds to get in the box from the time the pitcher has the ball in her possession.

If she did block the base before she caught the ball...she would be safe under the new rule...right? She obviously has her foot in front of the bag to block. I wouldn't teach that technique with steel cleats coming at her. That's a good way to get hurt.

Also...it's difficult to tell from the picture if she pushed the runner's leg up off of the bag. I did used to teach that. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The ball was there first and the Soddy Daisy girl kept the GPS girl's foot off the bag when she came into the base.

The ball was there first and the Soddy Daisy girl kept the GPS girl's foot off the bag when she came into the base.

Even with the ball getting there first, as a former third baseman with a scar on my ankle from metal cleats, softball players are going to have similar scars, if they do not change this learned behavior.

I like that rule. I have seen too many batters doing one or more of the following between each pitch:

walking half way down 3B line to get signals, taking 3-4 practice swings, adjusting batting gloves, walk back toward box, pick up some dirt, put up hand to ask for time, step in box, digging in, then twirling their bat.

Want to stop that girls from walking halfway down to third base between pitches? Have your pitcher go ahead and deliver the ball. The batter must keep one foot in the batter's box or call time to cease play