Catcher's blocking plate

hits123

No wires crossed for me. Those are the rules. The pitcher also has 1 to 10 seconds to deliver after her hands

come together. There is no one foot in the box rule.

I didn't have my wire's crossed either, Antwan. I was trying to be nice. I was talking about time pretaining to the pitcher the whole time, but you quoted me in a previous post then referred to a rule change about the batter. Like I said, I know the rules also, but was being nice.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have my wire's crossed either, Antwan. I was trying to be nice. I was talking about time pretaining to the pitcher the whole time, but you quoted me in a previous post then referred to a rule change about the batter. Like I said, I know the rules also, but was being nice.

How did we get here from catchers blocking the plate? Any way I have seen umpires enforce a one foot rule, but don't know where it comes from. I know this is supposed to move the game along, but one foot rule has been enforced while letting the pitcher stand behind the mound and do wrist snaps into the glove for what seems like forever. Don't make sense to me.

I was correcting my own mistake from a previous post. That's all. I said there was a 10 second pitching rule. I corrected that saying there is a 20 second rule.

How did we get here from catchers blocking the plate? Any way I have seen umpires enforce a one foot rule, but don't know where it comes from. I know this is supposed to move the game along, but one foot rule has been enforced while letting the pitcher stand behind the mound and do wrist snaps into the glove for what seems like forever. Don't make sense to me.

Either you were watching baseball or you had baseball umpires calling softball.

• 1 month later...

I thought the rule had already been changed. You shouldn't be able to block the plate without the ball. It's dangerous for the runner and the catcher. Runners have to slide at home when a play is imminent. The rule did need to be changed...to clarify. Otherwise...a catcher could block the runner short of the plate and then get the ball and tag. The runner does not have the option of running over the catcher.

What if an infielder or catcher have possesion of the ball, and the runner is sliding into the base/plate.

Can the defensive player block access to the base/plate, or are they supposed to leave a lane for the runner to slide?

What if an infielder or catcher have possesion of the ball, and the runner is sliding into the base/plate.

Can the defensive player block access to the base/plate, or are they supposed to leave a lane for the runner to slide?

Not only is it legal, but the defensive player isn't doing his/her job if she allows access to a bag while in possession of the ball. You are NEVER obligated to leave base access while in possession of the ball.

Not only is it legal, but the defensive player isn't doing his/her job if she allows access to a bag while in possession of the ball. You are NEVER obligated to leave base access while in possession of the ball.

In baseball you can bowl over the catcher, but if a softball player does that, they are subject to be ejected right?

In baseball you can bowl over the catcher, but if a softball player does that, they are subject to be ejected right?

that is correct. MTCS had a kid ejected while running over our catcher in Baseball this week. He led with his elbow extended which is a no no. Softball players are not required to slide, but must attempt to avoid contact (while staying within 3ft either way of the base path). That is why you have your catcher in the baseline when she has possession of the ball. It should be an out everytime.