Off season workout

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the above it says students below 8th grade. So as I read it 8th graders are permitted, correct?

Below the 8th grade they are not permitted to participate in varsity at all. 8th graders are permitted "if he/she is enrolled at the school". (see the definition of enrolled). If they are enrolled in and attending a separate middle school they can not also be enrolled in the high school "A student may not be considered to be enrolled in more than one school at any time".

Isn't this what caused all of the problem's between BA and T$AA? Eighth graders from a public middle school going and practicing with BA before enrolling?

I don't think there was actually practicing in spring involved at BA but it was a letter that was sent to the middle school kids that was looked at as recruiting. Temples' probation resulted from having kids (one was an 8th grader) practice in spring that weren't enrolled according to the TSSAA definition (still attending other schools) even though they had completed the paperwork and were going to attend the following fall.

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Mr. Menees (TSSAA) he said the 8th graders could participate in workouts & conditioning, but "as soon as they bring out the footballs (spring practice) the 8th graders are gone".

I wonder if he would put that in writing and get Ronnie to sign off on it??? That qualification could open a can of worms.... what is the real difference between doing workouts/conditioning and actually practicing when you can not be "enrolled" in 2 schools. One of Ronnie Carters big issues during the Temple investigation was that the Catastrophic Injury Insurance that the TSSAA carries would not be in effect for an 8th grader that was not enrolled in the high school during spring. These 8th graders could still get seriously hurt during conditioning and workouts and they may not be covered. I just wish he and the rest of the bunch at the TSSAA would put this (and a bunch of other things) all in plain english to where there is no question and then enforce it one way. The handbook makes no such distinction about any qualifier such as footballs being used just that they must be "enrolled". I guess it another area where it is open to their "intrepretation". Next guy may not see it the same way. Heck...Ronnie Carter may not see it the same way that Mr Menees sees it???

Update - I just sent Ronnie an email. If he replies I will post it

I wonder if he would put that in writing and get Ronnie to sign off on it??? That qualification could open a can of worms.... what is the real difference between doing workouts/conditioning and actually practicing when you can not be "enrolled" in 2 schools. One of Ronnie Carters big issues during the Temple investigation was that the Catastrophic Injury Insurance that the TSSAA carries would not be in effect for an 8th grader that was not enrolled in the high school during spring. These 8th graders could still get seriously hurt during conditioning and workouts and they may not be covered. I just wish he and the rest of the bunch at the TSSAA would put this (and a bunch of other things) all in plain english to where there is no question and then enforce it one way. The handbook makes no such distinction about any qualifier such as footballs being used just that they must be "enrolled". I guess it another area where it is open to their "intrepretation". Next guy may not see it the same way. Heck...Ronnie Carter may not see it the same way that Mr Menees sees it???

Update - I just sent Ronnie an email. If he replies I will post it

Old Pirate says it's really easy to see how that bunch gets little credit other than making a lot of money fron the playoffs. They are similar to the mob, make their own rules to suit them and collect the money. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I know at Halls we always had the 8 graders come and lift after school from Janruary till spring practice started. They did not practice just lifted. Maybe they were allowed because we were all together - the middle school sit next to the high school only divided by a little alley.

I know at Halls we always had the 8 graders come and lift after school from Janruary till spring practice started. They did not practice just lifted. Maybe they were allowed because we were all together - the middle school sit next to the high school only divided by a little alley.

If they aren't actually "in the same building" you may have a violation?

The difference is that these weight lifting and workout sessions are considered "voluntary" whereas Spring Practice is an organized TSSAA practice. TSSAA gives each school 15 days to get 10 practices in during the offseason. There is no such distinction for workouts. Temple got in trouble because they included an 8th grader in these 10 practice sessions.

They can use a high school's facilities to lift weights and condition, but they cannot take place in the organized "Practices".

The difference is that these weight lifting and workout sessions are considered "voluntary" whereas Spring Practice is an organized TSSAA practice. TSSAA gives each school 15 days to get 10 practices in during the offseason. There is no such distinction for workouts. Temple got in trouble because they included an 8th grader in these 10 practice sessions.

They can use a high school's facilities to lift weights and condition, but they cannot take place in the organized "Practices".

I understand what you are saying but just using the facilities and participating in organized (at least 1 coach is there in most cases) lifting and conditioning are two different things. I still don't see any qualifier in the TSSAA rules that makes a distinction between voluntary or organized or conditioning or practice. "Enrolled" is all I see in the rules. If I'm missing something in the rule book please point it out to me.

If they aren't actually "in the same building" you may have a violation?

If they are at the same school I think they would be OK even if it is not under one roof. It is my understanding that most of this stuff was put in to prevent recruiting. But again it is not 100% clear to me just what qualifies since "under the same roof" is not in the rules.

I understand what you are saying but just using the facilities and participating in organized (at least 1 coach is there in most cases) lifting and conditioning are two different things. I still don't see any qualifier in the TSSAA rules that makes a distinction between voluntary or organized or conditioning or practice. "Enrolled" is all I see in the rules. If I'm missing something in the rule book please point it out to me.

Section 14. Practice Rules.

Only students who are enrolled and in regular attendance at a school may participate in practice.

The key words there are "participate in practice" not "enrolled"

The TSSAA sets when schools can practice, and schools are allowed 15 days to "practice 10. Those are the only sanctioned "practices" in the Spring. If that is the case then you are saying that the incomming Freshmen couldn't do anything until the week of August 1st, because they are not enrolled in the building yet. You could have the entire middle school working out and it wouldn't be a violation unless you strapped a helmet and pads on and through them a football. That is the way it has been as long as I have been around Tennessee football. I travelled to my high school when I was in the 8th grade to lift and that is more than 15 years ago.

Like I said, Temple got in trouble for including 8th graders IN their designated Spring Practice time. That is all.