BEST IN EAST TENN

justafan01

There are no "gold teams" in Knoxville or the surrounding area....and only a couple of real "gold" teams in the entire state. There was only one TN team in the field of 64 last year and the pitcher for that team went to Southern Illinois. She was one of the best to come out of TN. Kim is good...so is the Monday kid from Maryville....Thomas from Gibbs....Woods from Unicoi....but none are ready for real Gold ball.....this is not a slam....just a fact. True gold pitchers.....how about Holly Thomas from Ooltewah, Hosfield from Riverdale (injured though), or Renfro out west....maybe a few more. There were a couple of Gold level pitchers out of knoxville the past couple of years....one is playing at UTC right now. Please, don't reply and get ugly....there is a difference between good (even great) and the elite.....Knoxville has some good...even great pitching...but give the elite girls thier due!

The reason there are not "real Gold teams" in Tennessee is because ASA is a joke in this state. Due to the dixie youth mentality of most parents it is very hard to put together a true Gold team. They all want their little susie to be a superstar. The big difference we noticed between the west coast and around here is that their teams will have 18 kids, and each kid will accept their role. Their outfielders were as good as athletes as the shortstops. It is very hard to find players around here to accept the role as a baserunner or heaven forbid an outfielder. Why do you think Burchell, Cat, and the Renfros (this year) are all playing out of state? You have to. We played with a NJ team in the fall just to get the exposure that is not happening around here. Our team is playing Gold this year and we have only found 11 ball players that are willing to sacrifice the time and money. 10/11 are signed already or playing college ball. Last year we only played in one tournament in the tennessee, had to travel to get the exposure. Gold ball is becoming a non-exposure type atmosphere because of the early commitments starting at the 16U level. The only players being recruited out of Gold ball are your 16U kids that are good eneough to play Gold. For the others, Gold is for pride and a chance to play against the best to get ready for college ball. If you want exposure go 16U as soon as possible, because after that you better be committed to someone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Gold Teams" are far and few in between here in this area because everyone wants their child to be center of attention and No one likes to play together as one Big team, A couple years ago I think I seen the best team together playing in a Tournament in Pigeon Fordge (World Series I think) it had the best players on that team you could think of but they only gathered for one tournament.

Some whom played on that team were Cassidy S (powell) Torrie J (powell) Brittney C (powell) Brittney H (Alcoa) Candice I (Central) Amy L (Gibbs) Danielle T (Gibbs) Chere M (Seymour) These are just some of the girls they did not give up a run the whole tournament and as you can see every child played their position but their were some top notch pitchers all together that played a lot of different positions as well.

Again it doesnt matter if you play GOLD or not because college ball is alot different than High School VS Travel Teams. When making that move to College you have to have grades, Responsibility, determination and the Heart to make things happen, it has to be in a person to do all these things, not just in how they play......

I have three girls on my team that are worthy of mention. First is Laycee Small my Junior right fielder that has a cannon for an arm and is currently hitting .617 with 4 homers and 16 RBIs. Next is Tara Crass my Junior SS/Pitcher who is 5-2 in the circle and is hitting .485 with 5 home runs and 21 RBIs. Finally, my Junior catcher Stephanie Navarro, her htting is off right now (.324) but she is, in my opinion, the best defensive catcher in District 4AA.

Just to keep the ball rolling... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

coach, u should get your stats straight before you start pumping up players. Tara Crass has 7 homeruns and Laycee Small most definitely doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Narvarro is the best catcher in the area or maybe in the state but that has nothing to do with you. I have seen these young ladies play this sport since they were 5 years old and they have developed nicely but you have failed to mention another junior. I'll let that simmer in.

coach, u should get your stats straight before you start pumping up players. Tara Crass has 7 homeruns and Laycee Small most definitely doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Narvarro is the best catcher in the area or maybe in the state but that has nothing to do with you. I have seen these young ladies play this sport since they were 5 years old and they have developed nicely but you have failed to mention another junior. I'll let that simmer in.

"REAL CLASS"

There are no "gold teams" in Knoxville or the surrounding area....and only a couple of real "gold" teams in the entire state. There was only one TN team in the field of 64 last year and the pitcher for that team went to Southern Illinois. She was one of the best to come out of TN. Kim is good...so is the Monday kid from Maryville....Thomas from Gibbs....Woods from Unicoi....but none are ready for real Gold ball.....this is not a slam....just a fact. True gold pitchers.....how about Holly Thomas from Ooltewah, Hosfield from Riverdale (injured though), or Renfro out west....maybe a few more. There were a couple of Gold level pitchers out of knoxville the past couple of years....one is playing at UTC right now. Please, don't reply and get ugly....there is a difference between good (even great) and the elite.....Knoxville has some good...even great pitching...but give the elite girls thier due!

I think Final Chapter is someone who has been around the game and knows what he is speaking about, but I do have to question his ability to comment that a kid is not ready for "Gold Ball.??? Watched several girls myself over the years and was impressed by the Monday kid from Maryville at the Gibbs tournament this year. This was the first time I had seen her pitch and was impressed with her command of speed and movement pitches. Watched her hold Ooltewah to four hits and one earned run and then turn around and no hit Brentwood Academy. Talked to her travel ball coach (Fred Fekete Maryville Magic) and he informed me that she does indeed play "Gold Ball.??? She played Birmingham, Columbia S.C, Ft. Lauderdale, and Denver Colorado last year and will be playing the same this year. Mr. Fekete stated that she still has a ways to go, but stated that she definitely has the tools to hold her own at an elite level. He would be one that I would think could judge some true talent considering the levels he has coached at and the fact that his daughter competed and succeeded at the highest of highest levels. Have not really seen any of the others mentioned besides Hosfield, Renfro, and Holly Thomas, so I cannot comment on them. I do not think that one can make such a blanket statement without seeing any of these kids pitch at the "Gold Level.??? Moreover, Mr. Fekete told me that his daughter Sarah was told by several coaches and individuals that she could not compete at an elite level either. I think she turned out o.k. at the next level. My point to all of this is to give the kids a chance before you tell them that they are not capable of something.

Some people were talking about Oliver Springs' Kim Hall and there were a few questions people had that I can answer or at least try to. Some people were questioning the 15-0 loss against Midway, well she didn't pitch that day. I'll have to go back and check my notes about the Kingston game. I also know that she is being recruited by at least one SEC school. Her pitching coach told me she throws 64. I'm assuming she tops out at 64, but she throws really hard. I don't know where she ranks among the state's best, but there can't be many better than her, Fadnek or Midway's Colyer.

In fact, Fadnek and Hall will hook up tomorrow at Coalfield.

I think Final Chapter is someone who has been around the game and knows what he is speaking about, but I do have to question his ability to comment that a kid is not ready for "Gold Ball.??? Watched several girls myself over the years and was impressed by the Monday kid from Maryville at the Gibbs tournament this year. This was the first time I had seen her pitch and was impressed with her command of speed and movement pitches. Watched her hold Ooltewah to four hits and one earned run and then turn around and no hit Brentwood Academy. Talked to her travel ball coach (Fred Fekete Maryville Magic) and he informed me that she does indeed play "Gold Ball.??? She played Birmingham, Columbia S.C, Ft. Lauderdale, and Denver Colorado last year and will be playing the same this year. Mr. Fekete stated that she still has a ways to go, but stated that she definitely has the tools to hold her own at an elite level. He would be one that I would think could judge some true talent considering the levels he has coached at and the fact that his daughter competed and succeeded at the highest of highest levels. Have not really seen any of the others mentioned besides Hosfield, Renfro, and Holly Thomas, so I cannot comment on them. I do not think that one can make such a blanket statement without seeing any of these kids pitch at the "Gold Level.??? Moreover, Mr. Fekete told me that his daughter Sarah was told by several coaches and individuals that she could not compete at an elite level either. I think she turned out o.k. at the next level. My point to all of this is to give the kids a chance before you tell them that they are not capable of something.

batboy1,

I agree totally that Fred would be a good judge of a girls talent. However, the fact that he stated that she still has a way to go....and that she can "hold her own" only emphasizes my previous statement. Just because you play against "Gold" Teams doesn't make you a Gold team, just like signing up as "Gold" doesn't mean you are competive at the Gold level. Fred plays at the tournaments you mentioned to give his girls an opportuntiy to improve and to be seen, as any good coach should. Limiting where you play so that you can have a winning record does no good for the players. You should play the best to be the best. However, the tournaments you spoke about are exposure tournaments with 18A and even 16A teams, NOT Gold qualifiers. There is a difference, plain and simple. I believe even Fred would say he is not taking his Magic team to compete at Gold quailiers, because the girls playing at that level are the best out there and his team is just not ready YET. That is not trashing anyone, only giving the ones who are at that level the well deserved reverence.

There have been a few in the area capable of it, but because of egos, or other reasons, a full team has never become a reality. Obviously, Sarah Fekete could have played on any Gold team in the country. Irwin (Central) played in the Gold Nationals last year for the Blues out of NC and did very well. I saw Holifield (Alcoa) throw a 9 inning 2-1 loss against the Ga. Fire Gold (a competitive Gold team) last year in SC. Both of these pitchers had well over 1,000 K's in their HS career and were proven. There seems to be a lot of support for Kim, AND maybe she is ready, I have not seen her throw this season. And if you check the posts, I have yet to say any of the girls mentioned are not capable of playing Gold, only not ready. But if you have not seen true Gold Teams in a Qualifier environment, you may just not understand. Girls (or parents) who truely want to play at that level should go and just watch....just to get an idea what they really need to do to get there.

I was blessed with the opportunity to coach on aguably some of the best teams to come out of Knoxville, however, I could NEVER put together a true GOLD team. Even with my softball retirement, I, as much or more than anyone, would love to see a true Gold team come out of Knoxville, but the talent pool for a full team has not presented itself. If you don't believe me, ask Ralph Weekly. He encourages the girls he sees that are capable of playing at the elite level to play in Nashville or Chattanooga. The only way to change this is for the players and parents to make a unrelenting COMMITMENT and sacrifice to the sport here. Too few are willing to do so. Again, my OPINION, but it is well backed by personal experience.

batboy1,

I agree totally that Fred would be a good judge of a girls talent. However, the fact that he stated that she still has a way to go....and that she can "hold her own" only emphasizes my previous statement. Just because you play against "Gold" Teams doesn't make you a Gold team, just like signing up as "Gold" doesn't mean you are competive at the Gold level. Fred plays at the tournaments you mentioned to give his girls an opportuntiy to improve and to be seen, as any good coach should. Limiting where you play so that you can have a winning record does no good for the players. You should play the best to be the best. However, the tournaments you spoke about are exposure tournaments with 18A and even 16A teams, NOT Gold qualifiers. There is a difference, plain and simple. I believe even Fred would say he is not taking his Magic team to compete at Gold quailiers, because the girls playing at that level are the best out there and his team is just not ready YET. That is not trashing anyone, only giving the ones who are at that level the well deserved reverence.

There have been a few in the area capable of it, but because of egos, or other reasons, a full team has never become a reality. Obviously, Sarah Fekete could have played on any Gold team in the country. Irwin (Central) played in the Gold Nationals last year for the Blues out of NC and did very well. I saw Holifield (Alcoa) throw a 9 inning 2-1 loss against the Ga. Fire Gold (a competitive Gold team) last year in SC. Both of these pitchers had well over 1,000 K's in their HS career and were proven. There seems to be a lot of support for Kim, AND maybe she is ready, I have not seen her throw this season. And if you check the posts, I have yet to say any of the girls mentioned are not capable of playing Gold, only not ready. But if you have not seen true Gold Teams in a Qualifier environment, you may just not understand. Girls (or parents) who truely want to play at that level should go and just watch....just to get an idea what they really need to do to get there.

I was blessed with the opportunity to coach on aguably some of the best teams to come out of Knoxville, however, I could NEVER put together a true GOLD team. Even with my softball retirement, I, as much or more than anyone, would love to see a true Gold team come out of Knoxville, but the talent pool for a full team has not presented itself. If you don't believe me, ask Ralph Weekly. He encourages the girls he sees that are capable of playing at the elite level to play in Nashville or Chattanooga. The only way to change this is for the players and parents to make a unrelenting COMMITMENT and sacrifice to the sport here. Too few are willing to do so. Again, my OPINION, but it is well backed by personal experience.

Final Chapter:

Your comments are well put and I totally agree with your statements. The only correction that I will make is that Fred's Magic team beat out several "Gold" Teams in Colorado last year to finish 3rd in the tournament. Third out of over 100 teams in a tournament like Colorado is impressive no matter how you put it. Also, he will be taking his team back to Colorado to compete in the invitation only Gold Tournament.

I appreciate your comments and informative insight.