Instructing a pitcher to intentionally hit a batter

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it. But I have seen a player on 2nd base giving signs to the batter on where the pitch was going to be. In this case you have to get someones Attn. So she hit the batter in the back. The batter thought the pitch was going to be outside because thats what the 2nd base runner told her. Instead right at the chest. knocked the wind out of her. The the SS calmly told the runner why that happened. NO one gave away any more signs.

Guess they would rather give up the base, risk injuring another player, and all the rather than go to a second set of signals....what do I know. Well I do know if one of these pitchers actually did seriously injure or kill another player 99% of them would be devastated and done with softball.

Regardless of the speed of the pitch thefact still remains the batter is getting hit, intentionally or not. The hard fact to believe is that this happens on all levels of softball and baseball. Had a chance to talk with Michelle Smith that pitched for Olympic team and she said they have a sign to hit the batter. further I have heard a high school coach tell their pitcher to hit the batter instead of letting her hit another bomb off from her. This happens at all levels of both baseball and softball and will probably always happen as long as there is competition

In reaction time only. A 60 mph ball 'feels' like a 60 mph ball no matter what distance it's thrown from. The larger surface area of a softball distributes the force somewhat which may be good or bad depending upon where it hits. A smaller surface area that is over a muscle is better even though concentrated than 'distributing' the force to a bone. A 90 mph fastball that's 90 mph when it hits you will apply half again more force than one that's 60 mph when it hits the batter. If a hammer hits a nail at 90 mph it will drive the nail 1 1/2 times further than a hammer hitting a nail at 60 mph is another way of looking at it.

Your force arguement works but your reaction time doesn't. You give a player 20 more feet to see the ball they will react differently.

How about you stand there and let someone throw a softball at you at 60-70 mph from 40 ft away and then come back and answer your own question.

Well, since you didn't see fit to answer my question about not worrying about it as long as it's not at the head, I will.

I have been hit and continue to get hit by baseballs traveling at the speeds we are talkling about and faster and unless I get hit in the head, it's no big deal.

Solution: wrap all the girls in bubble wrap and let 'em play.

Your force arguement works but your reaction time doesn't. You give a player 20 more feet to see the ball they will react differently.

And this doesn't make any sense either.

You do have 20 more feet to react but a baseball (in our scenario) is traveling 50% faster, so the reaction time is about the same.