Father Ryan Girls Basketball

fiftyfifty

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan is getting a good man in Pat Lawson, however the newspaper article I read says he won't assume his duties until July 1st. Surely FR will have a new girls coach in place before then.

I agree, Lawson should be a good one. However, I have learned over the years that Ryan's priorities when it comes to girls sports usually takes the back burner. I wonder why they do this, it has not been all boys for a long time. What message do you send to almost half your student population when they see a school who proclaims to follow the gospels treat people differently due to gender. They had a coach who dearly loved the school, coaching softball, won the state championship and then was told his position was gone at the end of the year. This was an alumni, hurt him real bad. Where did the money go that they were paying him, it went to football cause its more important to Ryan. The present coach of girls softball doesn't get paid at all. Surely there can be more of a happy medium when it comes to these issues. Why is it taking so long to name a coach, answer, they are not offering anything out of the ordinary. I hope I am in error, but its even money that an existing staff member will take the job. They need to bring in someone from the outside, but thats probably not possible. As always, a matter of priority. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

They need to let Lawson get involved and not some search committee. He knows a lot of people in the area and after all - the person they hire will be working in an athletic department that is run by him. Seems simple and logical don't you think ??? I am sure he would make a great hiring decision.

I agree with the previous post. Ryan should let the new AD be on board and have a major role in deciding who the new coach is - not a group of alums or parents on a search committee. That has nightmare written all over it. I am sure the committee did a fine job narrowing the candidates down but they almost need to take a step back and let him hire someone whom he trusts.

I agree with the previous post. Ryan should let the new AD be on board and have a major role in deciding who the new coach is - not a group of alums or parents on a search committee. That has nightmare written all over it. I am sure the committee did a fine job narrowing the candidates down but they almost need to take a step back and let him hire someone whom he trusts.

I agree 100%. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I follow Ryan sports fairly closely - not a close as stbullog - but I am amazed at how long this has taken. I was at an AAU event last week and saw some Ryan followers. Frankly, I am shocked at some of the names they threw out that really were extremely interested in this position and did not even get an interview. I am talking pretty prominent names too with local ties and tons of successful experience. Not trying to be too sarcastic here but neither Geno nor Pat are not going to be walking thru the door over there on Norwood Drive anytime soon. Ryan made a very good hire with Lawson as AD. But as the posts suggest above I really thing it is a bad bad move not to have let him go thru the process of hiring a coach.

I follow Ryan sports fairly closely - not a close as stbullog - but I am amazed at how long this has taken. I was at an AAU event last week and saw some Ryan followers. Frankly, I am shocked at some of the names they threw out that really were extremely interested in this position and did not even get an interview. I am talking pretty prominent names too with local ties and tons of successful experience. Not trying to be too sarcastic here but neither Geno nor Pat are not going to be walking thru the door over there on Norwood Drive anytime soon. Ryan made a very good hire with Lawson as AD. But as the posts suggest above I really thing it is a bad bad move not to have let him go thru the process of hiring a coach.

I believe that there is some truth to some top names interested in the Ryan job. I hate to beat a dead horse here, but Ryan can, but probably won't offer a package that will attract a top-notch coach. Ryan won't offer what it would take to get a real good coach with a proven track record. Why is it taking so long? The answer is when any candidate looks at the position and see what is on the table, they turn and walk the other way. I will be shocked if it is even someone other than a present faculty member. God forbid if they dip into the football budget to bolster girls sports. If the parents of the female students would let the administration know that they are sick and tired of being treated as second-class citizens and this is especially true in sports, maybe change could begin. The hiring of this coach would be a great step forward. Its not just basketball, take a look around at some of the other girls sports, its not pretty. Perhaps Ryan could learn a lesson from JPII. I have seen no evidence of the girls at that Catholic school being short-changed in any way with the quality of their coaches in any sport. Please Father Ryan, show me that I am mistaken by how and who you hire for this coaching position. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The girls basketball team was expected to attend the Lewisburg Lady Tigers basketball camp as they have been doing so for decades. Since the position of head coach has still not been filled, last year's assiatant coach was planning on taking the girls to camp, which they were supposed to leave this monday morning (the team has always left that sunday, but the assiant coach is in a wedding and won't return till sunday night. Thats one whole day the team is missing). Also with the assiant coach being gone since the beginning of summer vacation, there has been no oragnaized team practices to help prepare for camp. The seniors on the team took it upon themselves to make a call and have an adult present at the gym while they can practice two days this week. It was announced at the beginning of their practice today that there has been a decesion made to cancel the Lewisburg Camp. The reason being was thet they shouldn't go without a new coach who will have new ideas, stragities, and plays. The girls were also told that they should use the money for camp towards something else. This is outrageous. The girls should not be penalized for the lack of effort by "search comitee". No one kows who made the cancellation decesion, but it's not right. Three or four weeks ago, the principal himself was given the dates by the seniors on the team of when they were attending camp. He told them they should have a coach by then. This just shows how no one considered the problems that would arise upon the head basketball coach resigning.

Stu, I agree with you all the way about how the male coaching staff and the football team is the number one prority over at Ryan. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

The girls basketball team was expected to attend the Lewisburg Lady Tigers basketball camp as they have been doing so for decades. Since the position of head coach has still not been filled, last year's assiatant coach was planning on taking the girls to camp, which they were supposed to leave this monday morning (the team has always left that sunday, but the assiant coach is in a wedding and won't return till sunday night. Thats one whole day the team is missing). Also with the assiant coach being gone since the beginning of summer vacation, there has been no oragnaized team practices to help prepare for camp. The seniors on the team took it upon themselves to make a call and have an adult present at the gym while they can practice two days this week. It was announced at the beginning of their practice today that there has been a decesion made to cancel the Lewisburg Camp. The reason being was thet they shouldn't go without a new coach who will have new ideas, stragities, and plays. The girls were also told that they should use the money for camp towards something else. This is outrageous. The girls should not be penalized for the lack of effort by "search comitee". No one kows who made the cancellation decesion, but it's not right. Three or four weeks ago, the principal himself was given the dates by the seniors on the team of when they were attending camp. He told them they should have a coach by then. This just shows how no one considered the problems that would arise upon the head basketball coach resigning.

Stu, I agree with you all the way about how the male coaching staff and the football team is the number one prority over at Ryan. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Anyone with any recent knowledge of Ryan admin would not be even the least bit suprised at any of this. It has been going on now for a few years, the sooner people pull there heads out of the sand the better. They wanted her PE job and now they have it to give to ......................... a football coach.

At the moment, someone has been offered head coach, and the person has until Monday to accept or decline the position.

I am sorry for the shoddy way Ryan has treated the girls basketball team since Paula Jackson resigned. But like two cents stated, anybody and everybody is now well aware of just what the priority of girls sports at Ryan actually is. They had a chance to right the ship and show the wonderful girls at Ryan how important they are thought of. I have a question. Is the candidate that has been offered the job on staff at present? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I am sorry for the shoddy way Ryan has treated the girls basketball team since Paula Jackson resigned. But like two cents stated, anybody and everybody is now well aware of just what the priority of girls sports at Ryan actually is. They had a chance to right the ship and show the wonderful girls at Ryan how important they are thought of. I have a question. Is the candidate that has been offered the job on staff at present? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I know that there were at least one or two current Ryan staff members in the final six candiatates. Not quite sure if one of them was offered the job yet.