Tennessee Temple dropping football program

just4fun

Where is Pasture or has he been put out to pasture.We all new he would go away when things started happening like most people thought it would.Has he moved out of town or changed his screen name.I can only hope if he transferred it was cleared by TSSAA and that he is not practicing spring football with another school before properly enrolling

Well Farmboy, how sweet, you missed me. Now that makes me feel special. I had to change my screen name because people kept connecting "pasture" with "pastor" and I got tired of correcting them. When I picked "pasture" I really was not thinking about the church connection.

Do not worry, I will never leave you or forsake you. I will always be right here. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Farmboy, how sweet, you missed me. Now that makes me feel special. I had to change my screen name because people kept connecting "pasture" with "pastor" and I got tired of correcting them. When I picked "pasture" I really was not thinking about the church connection.

Do not worry, I will never leave you or forsake you. I will always be right here. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is good to know this will be an adjustment with the screen name change but I will manage.What do you think of the latest with Temple droping football but keeping the middle school team.Do you know what there intentions for the future are with football.

From today's Chattanooga Times FP

Temple transfers may sit

Staff Reports

Although Tennessee Temple Academy dropped its football program last week, any underclassmen wanting to transfer to will have to go through a TSSAA eligibility process.

According to TSSAA assistant executive director Gene Menees, a Temple football player looking to transfer will be treated the same as a student from any other school and will be ruled athletically ineligible for one calendar year if he transfers within a 20-mile radius.

Potential transfers can file for a hardship hearing.

???We would listen to any individual looking to transfer on an individual case,??? Menees said. ???If football is the only sport that student participates in, we would consider that a little different than a kid who has other sports options still available at Temple.???

Can anyone out there think of a way that this rule could benefit a kid?

Dadoffour, please don't take anything in this post as being a smart-you-know-what comment, but the benefit for the kids were the rules that were in place that were broken to begin with. Now that the rules have been broken and problems arose that caused Temple to drop football, the kids will unfortunately be the ones that suffer for it. Like was said earlier in this thread, it is always the innocent that suffer. I do hate it for the kids.

A question though, how many of the kids there now would have gone to Temple anyway if they didn't have a football program? Also, is the enrollment up higher now than it was before Temple started fielding football teams?

Dadoffour, please don't take anything in this post as being a smart-you-know-what comment, but the benefit for the kids were the rules that were in place that were broken to begin with. Now that the rules have been broken and problems arose that caused Temple to drop football, the kids will unfortunately be the ones that suffer for it. Like was said earlier in this thread, it is always the innocent that suffer. I do hate it for the kids.

A question though, how many of the kids there now would have gone to Temple anyway if they didn't have a football program? Also, is the enrollment up higher now than it was before Temple started fielding football teams?

How do the rules being broken have anything to do with the program being eliminated?

You said the rule is in place to benefit the kids, but you didn't answer my question of "how does it benefit them?"

I don't know how many kids were attracted to Temple because of football, but I do know that only 6 high schoolers wanted to play football next year.

I don't have access to the enrollment numbers at Temple, but having been around a long time I can tell you that last year was the first time I've heard the administration say they had an increased enrollment, which I believe was around 100 or so students for K3 - 12. Up until last year enrollment had either decreased or held steady since the early 80's

It's made to help prevent recruiting. The kids that are caught up in the Temple dropping football will get a chance to request a hardship waver. That's the way of making sure it is as fair as possible to all concerned. I wish them luck.

From today's Chattanooga Times FP

Temple transfers may sit

Staff Reports

Although Tennessee Temple Academy dropped its football program last week, any underclassmen wanting to transfer to will have to go through a TSSAA eligibility process.

According to TSSAA assistant executive director Gene Menees, a Temple football player looking to transfer will be treated the same as a student from any other school and will be ruled athletically ineligible for one calendar year if he transfers within a 20-mile radius.

Potential transfers can file for a hardship hearing.

???We would listen to any individual looking to transfer on an individual case,??? Menees said. ???If football is the only sport that student participates in, we would consider that a little different than a kid who has other sports options still available at Temple.???

Question??

What has the 20 mile radius got to do with anything? I've never read anywhere about some magic mileage radius.

If a student-athlete has a bona fide change of address, can't he transfer w/o penalty?

Question??

What has the 20 mile radius got to do with anything? I've never read anywhere about some magic mileage radius.

If a student-athlete has a bona fide change of address, can't he transfer w/o penalty?

It is set at 20 miles for private schools and if they truly move they are eligible if they meet rule 13-b below. From what I hear a couple have transfered to Silverdale and 1 to Grace with several others considering the move. My guess is that all these kids are still living at the same address so a bona fide move won't even be the issue.

Territory ??“ For a public school, the ???territory??? of the school is the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education. For a system-wide public school, the ???territory??? of the school is the geographic boundaries of the school system. For a non-public school, the ???territory??? of the school is the area within a twenty (20) mile radius from the school.

Bona Fide Change of Residence ??“ A move from one community to another that justifies a change of schools. Where a family continues to maintain a previous residence for the residential purposes of that family or any of its members, the move is not one that justifies a change of schools for purposes of the TSSAA Bylaws.

Section 13. Ineligible Transfer Students.

The following transfer students are ineligible for a period of twelve months from the student's last participation date (these provisions do not apply to students who have no athletic record for the previous or current school year):

a. A student who transfers without a bona fide change of residence by his/her parents;

b. A student who transfers as a result of a change of residence is ineligible unless (1) the old residence is outside the territory of the new school, and (2) the new residence is both outside the territory of the old school and inside the territory of the new school;

c. If a student has been ruled eligible as a result of a change of residence, and the parents or guardian return to the former residence before the student has been enrolled in the new school for one complete school year (or twelve months if the transfer occurred during the school year), the student will be ineligible for twelve months from his/her last participation date;

d. If a student has satisfied all other requirements for eligibility but was under discipline at his/her former school, the student shall be ineligible at the new school for twelve months or until the disciplinary charges have been removed, whichever is less.

If the ineligible student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year in football, basketball, baseball, girls softball, or track and field, the student is ineligible in all of these sports. In all other sports, ineligibility applies only to the particular sport in which the ineligible student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year.

That is good to know this will be an adjustment with the screen name change but I will manage.What do you think of the latest with Temple droping football but keeping the middle school team.Do you know what there intentions for the future are with football.

I was shocked to read it in the paper. Maybe the school should start giving out Stephen Hargis' number instead of their own because if anybody at Temple wants to know anything about what is going on, he is the man to call.

It does not appear that the decision to drop football was one that was very well thought out. The TSSAA probabtion should have had little to do with the decision. It does not make sense to drop the varsity program and keep the middle school program. Where are the kids going to go play in the ninth grade except at another school?

How do the rules being broken have anything to do with the program being eliminated?

You said the rule is in place to benefit the kids, but you didn't answer my question of "how does it benefit them?"

I don't know how many kids were attracted to Temple because of football, but I do know that only 6 high schoolers wanted to play football next year.

I don't have access to the enrollment numbers at Temple, but having been around a long time I can tell you that last year was the first time I've heard the administration say they had an increased enrollment, which I believe was around 100 or so students for K3 - 12. Up until last year enrollment had either decreased or held steady since the early 80's

The AD said in the paper they had just under 20 sign up for spring practice, which seems like more than six.