Forrest changing Name!

leather

I just returned from a concerned parent meeting in Caney Springs concerning the renaming of Forrest School and it's mascot! A presentation will be made to the board sometime soon! We feel that the Forrest name is old and has some bad history behind it. Since about 85% of Forrest students are from somewhere else originally, we feel that Yakees or Wolverines would also be a better mascot name! There are no NASA bases anywhere near Chapel HIll? As for the school name they say they will propose either Chapel Hill High, North Marshall High, or If the Saturn Corp is still willing dish out the bucks maybe even calling it Saturn High and using Lions as a mascot after the Lions Club. I was surprised at the large turnout at this meeting> The final meeting will be next week same time same place! Post your thoughts on which direction we should go?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think either Nathan is buried in Chapel Hill or there is a large monument dedicated to him there. For once, Volunteer General we agree this is a bad case of political correctness! People may not like some of the things Nathan Beford stood for in the waning years of his life, but he was a Southern Hero and the school name should not be changed just for "change sake." As for the mascot, I never understood the ROCKETS reference to Chapel Hill or Marshall County.

For the record, NBF was born in Chapel Hill.

Also, a long time ago I think the mascot was originally the Rebels (at least the junior high was called that)but for whatever reason it was changed.

I also doubt very seriously that the name of the school would be changed based on the opinion of a group of people in "Saturn Springs". This would probably stir up a hornet's nest which nobody (including the school board etc.) would want to touch.

I'll also admit that I can't figure out the connection between Rockets and Chapel Hill, but I've also never seen a Tiger in Lewisburg, a Viking in Unionville, or a Lion in Columbia to name a few.

And besides the only people who call Forrest School Forrest, are the ones who don't know who we are. Everybody in our region calls us Chapel Hill. And until not too long ago most of the school's team uniforms said Chapel Hill. Sort of like MCHS uniforms say Lewisburg.

Can't we all just be Cornersville Bulldogs and get along???

Whoever said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing understood human nature. N.B. Forrest is rememberd for his part in the creation of the KKK. What is not remembered is that the KKK in post-Civil War Reconstruction was not focused on race but rather on protecting the civil rights of ex-Confederates (they had no protection under the law).

It was actually in the early 1900's that the KKK was recreated to focus on the Eugentics and racial hygiene themes of the "browning of America". While the Klan is most remembered for this sickness, the philosophy was quite accepted in the U.S., England and Germany at the time. Several high profile Americans, such as Henry Ford and Charles Linburgh, were leaders of the movement which birthed organizations such as Planned Parenthood of America.

Jack Hurst's biography gives the most complete account of Forrest's post war years. What few people know is that, after the war, Forrest became a devout Christian and dedicated his life to helping others. According to Hurst, more blacks attended Forrest's funereal than whites.

Nathan Bedford Forrest also had many of his slaves tend to him while in the saddle and offered them their freedom a year and a half before the war ended. However, many stayed on and fought alongside the "Wizard of the Saddle". It's dangerous to castigate and demonize while being blinded by the shadow of ignorance. If it's true that the name will be changed spurred by politically correct motives, then maybe we should all resort to using numbers for identification instead of place names, e.g. P.S. 001, P.S. 002, etc.

I believe that "Rebels" was the mascot for both Jr. High and high school many years ago. In the early 70's when I was in Jr. High we were the Rebels, and the high school was Rockets. I'm not sure when "Rockets" came into being. My dad graduated from Forrest in 1944, and we were Rebels then, I believe. I do hope that the "northern influence" doesn't take away this part of our Heritage. After all, it is heritage, hot hatred. I thought it was terrible when Culleoka changed from the Blue Devils to the Warriors or whatever they are now.

As for being Rockets, there aren't many with that mascot around, and I kind of like it.

ELA....LOL!! It`s great that we agree. I think you`d find that i`m not a bad person. If you happen to know Coach Crawford at Brentwood, I think he would confirm that. We went to college together and I really think a lot of him. Just tell him the "General" says hey.

BTW...I prefer

The Vols

hot weather

vanilla ice cream (homemade of course)

Pepsi over Coke

Baptist over Methodist

Burger King over McDonald`s

Christina over Brittney

Amateur over Professional (at least in sports, not in physicians)

a good hamburger over anything

Bush over Clinton (or Gore)

Comedy over Drama

Red

little town over big town

big screen over 36 inch screen

Braves over Cardinals

couch over cutting the lawn

Well that`s just a few. Maybe we do have some things in common.

VG