District 1-AAA for 2008-2009

TommyMan37604

I don't foresee any of them returning. They seem relieved right now. Don't know if that will last or not. I tried to talk them out of it, and have tried to talk about it with a few of them since, but I don't think any have changed their minds at this point. I could care less whether they play ball or not, although I have dearly loved watching them for many years. I just hope they are happy, whether they play or they don't.

No, none of them are transferring anywhere.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bucdaddio-Encourage them to talk to a few people that quit anything in high school and maybe that will shed some light on their decesion. Tell them to play for the love of the sport, girls athletics, for their community and school. Passing up on the only opportunity to participate in high school athletics due to disagreements is not a reason to quit-unless they are getting physically abused. I am sure that is not the case. Most coaches that are hard on kids just want their best and really care. Programs that have these hard nosed coaches are fortunate-in my opinion. The point the kids prove by not playing is not worth it-if they have played that long they must of loved the sport. There is a huge lesson to learn for them if they can work through it and the coach will allow them to work themselves back into the program-as you know.

As a former coach, I believe that the point you prove as the leader of the program by not allowing them into the program is not worth the lesson that can be taught with allowing kids to play again. Just my philiosophy-backfired on me sometimes as a coach because some did not get what they wanted out of the program However, some kids benefitied greatly from the program in the end and will keep that life lesson forever. Just my thoughts, hate to see seniors not play-maybe that is why I didnt last tooooo long as a coach, uh? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I don't foresee any of them returning. They seem relieved right now. Don't know if that will last or not. I tried to talk them out of it, and have tried to talk about it with a few of them since, but I don't think any have changed their minds at this point. I could care less whether they play ball or not, although I have dearly loved watching them for many years. I just hope they are happy, whether they play or they don't.

bucdaddio-Encourage them to talk to a few people that quit anything in high school and maybe that will shed some light on their decesion. Tell them to play for the love of the sport, girls athletics, for their community and school. Passing up on the only opportunity to participate in high school athletics due to disagreements is not a reason to quit-unless they are getting physically abused. I am sure that is not the case. Most coaches that are hard on kids just want their best and really care. Programs that have these hard nosed coaches are fortunate-in my opinion. The point the kids prove by not playing is not worth it-if they have played that long they must of loved the sport. There is a huge lesson to learn for them if they can work through it and the coach will allow them to work themselves back into the program-as you know.

As a former coach, I believe that the point you prove as the leader of the program by not allowing them into the program is not worth the lesson that can be taught with allowing kids to play again. Just my philiosophy-backfired on me sometimes as a coach because some did not get what they wanted out of the program However, some kids benefitied greatly from the program in the end and will keep that life lesson forever. Just my thoughts, hate to see seniors not play-maybe that is why I didnt last tooooo long as a coach, uh? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

24, this poster does not know what part of the state you are from but it sure is good advice if no other circumstances are involved. At least, it might be good to sit down and talk to the coach to clear the air and see if things can be worked out. These things seem to be happening more and more and the most obvious is that a coach might not want to spend the time with seniors if the team has no chance to have a winning season, the players getting frustrated when they are not winning and frustration on both sides causes the players to leave. The other side is underclassman see what is happening and not getting any more playing time and the underclassman think they don't have a chance or the coach doen't have any confidence in them and they leave the team. Both cases are sad. Thats why the coach is the coach.

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard through the "Big E" grapevine that the three that mattered anyway are considering returning while the other two are not. Ongoing saga...how will it end...

I know this is early but how do the teams stack up for next year? I see it as the following:

1. DB- they basically have everyone back and with a year of experience their inside game will improve.

2.SHHS - they will have a good squad but they will rely on the big 3 seniors.

3. THS- could possibly swap with SHHS if they get some help from underclassmen

4. Central - they will be much improved. I was very impressed with them late in the season.

5. Boone - not sure what boone has coming up. I know they lost caldweel and nickels.

6. East- i think they might surprise some people this year. Good young team

7. South- LOST A TON, not sure how campbell will react to being the go to now.

8. Volunteer- might pull an upset or two this year. could see them going to 7

9. Crockett- simply just need some help. Who are their feeder schools?

I think DB has the best shot of winning the reg. and tournament. They are a balanced team if their young guards can improve. They already have the best inside game in the league with Forlich and Osborne.

I feel that if the girls from Boone do decide to come back this will be the team to beat. Harmon,Forti,Stafford,Ford have all played varsity ball the last three years.Harmon being the only one playing all four.These girls have a relationship with each other like none I've seen before.Offensively Harmon,Forti,Stafford,and Ford combined for great play the last two years, and the offense was geared for Nickels and Caldwell last year.

1. Harmon is a good P-SG,handles the ball well(both hands),fast,and sees the court like no other in the league.Has the best no look pass and is very tenacious on D.Harmon was in the top of the league in assist,steals the last two years.

2. Ford is a great defender,small in height, but tall in heart. She will defend you til you drop.Ford was in the top of the league in rebounds last year.

3. Stafford is a good inside player. Has the height to match up with anyone. Her inside skills improved as the season progressed as did her defensive skills as well.

4. Forti is another player who could be a starter for any team in this league.She had some issues with her confidence this past year but has made great strides since. She has the skill to play wing with a good three point shot and can be underestimated on defense.

Maybe these four can get things worked out before the season work outs begin. Watching them over the last few years this Boone team has all the right tools to go all the way,barring no injuries to the team.

Just heard through the "Big E" grapevine that the three that mattered anyway are considering returning while the other two are not. Ongoing saga...how will it end...

Don't know about your "grapevine", but have talked to all 5 girls individually, and none are considering returning at this point.

Haven't given up hope yet, though. I will continue to try to talk to them.

BooneHoops, as far as the team to beat, they won't be that even with the girls returning. D-B, Science Hill, and TN High will be the teams at the top, and Central has greatly improved also.

You're right about the chemistry, though. The 5 that quit have a comraderie that most teams would love to have. (I know, because some combination of those 5 are at my house every day). They have stuck with each other through this ordeal, and a lot worse. Since my daughter is one of the 5, I thank God for the other 4 daily. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is early but how do the teams stack up for next year? I see it as the following:

1. DB- they basically have everyone back and with a year of experience their inside game will improve.

2.SHHS - they will have a good squad but they will rely on the big 3 seniors.

3. THS- could possibly swap with SHHS if they get some help from underclassmen

4. Central - they will be much improved. I was very impressed with them late in the season.

5. Boone - not sure what boone has coming up. I know they lost caldweel and nickels.

6. East- i think they might surprise some people this year. Good young team

7. South- LOST A TON, not sure how campbell will react to being the go to now.

8. Volunteer- might pull an upset or two this year. could see them going to 7

9. Crockett- simply just need some help. Who are their feeder schools?

I think DB has the best shot of winning the reg. and tournament. They are a balanced team if their young guards can improve. They already have the best inside game in the league with Forlich and Osborne.

I might move Volunteer up to middle of pack, they got a transfer that is a player and all starters from last year except Bledsoe girl. Fom what I hear everyone likes new coach and team has a great attitude. They have a little depth this year which they have never had. Returning several girls as seniors that want to leave knowing they have turned program around. DB is still team to beat followed by SHHS and THS, Central could be spoiler for top spot.