2 Man Systems?

AbsolutelyAmazing

I was just wondering if most games are being refed by a 2 or 3 man systems. Almost all of our games this year have been refed by 2 man systems (which doesn't work as well) and i was wondering if that is just because we are a smaller school, (we have always had 3 man systems in the past years), or if the majority of games are being refed by 2 refs.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are 3-man crews more expensive?

Schools in this county usually get duals because the refs are coming from Knoxville, at least an hour drive. Most don't want to make that drive, especially with gas prices the way they are.

I'd suggest requesting trios for district games to start, see if you can get them.

Are 3-man crews more expensive?

Schools in this county usually get duals because the refs are coming from Knoxville, at least an hour drive. Most don't want to make that drive, especially with gas prices the way they are.

I'd suggest requesting trios for district games to start, see if you can get them.

I am old. I played. I have officiated. If the center is solid. There is no comparison..3 man is much better. Players

are smarter and foul off the ball, work to get the 1/2 step in an offside position. If there were enough refs, tssaa should mandate 3 man teams call games..IMO

I am old. I played. I have officiated. If the center is solid. There is no comparison..3 man is much better. Players

are smarter and foul off the ball, work to get the 1/2 step in an offside position. If there were enough refs, tssaa should mandate 3 man teams call games..IMO

I agree. If it takes 3 refs to call a basketball game, it definitely takes 3 refs to call a soccer game.

i like having a 3 man system better than a 2 man. but yesterday, we were stuck to a 1 man. and the guy was terrible. even stuff that was right in front of his eyes he would get wrong.

be happy that you have mostly 3 men systems over there in east/middle tennessee.

yes 3men crews are more expensive. thats an extra ref to pay.

I'm from middle TN and we almost always have two man ref's (which I might point out is ridiculous) you can not control a game's physicality with two ref's. and it is impossible for two center refs to get an offside call right or wrong, that can be a turning point in the game. A center ref and two linesmen are needed

Let an old coach chime in. There are benefits to both systems. In a dual, at least there are two whistles; two people calling fouls. And yes it is a little cheaper on the budget.

Yes a three man system is better in that you have more eyes on the match. HOWEVER, we all know that some/most centers don't allow the linesmen/assts call anything but offsides/throwins. So what use are they, plus it is more expensive.

Having said all this. Our district bylaws require 3 men crews for the postseason.

We nearly always use a 2 man ref system, except in post-season of course... It may make our games rougher, but we get used to it...

There is also the deal of money, which you guys have mentioned. Ref's cost around $55 each I think coach said (a year or two back). That's $110 for a two man system, and $165 for a 3 man. But with gate, we usually raise around $115 to $125 at most. Probly not even that half the time. And I promise you my school won't keep soccer if it costs us around $40 a game, expeccialy when were not winning.

So for us, it becomes either bad reffing (which u get used to) or possibly not having a team. Pretty easy choice.

Yea, preferrably every team has a 3 man system, but realisticly, not all teams can afford it...