Red Cards

rhett

they should come up with an orange card.. kinda like a soft yellow, but you can't give a soft red unless it's either a second yellow or acts that prevent the restart of a free kick or kick off.

but come up with an orange card - kinda like a flagarent one and flagarent two in the NBA. the orange would say he's done with this game but is allowed to play in the next.

since NFHS makes up certain rules anyways?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is enough dissent on this issue would the TSSAA revisit it?

Does anyone know if there is a precedent? Do other governing bodies of HS athletics have a smilar rule?

Is anyone out there from the TSSAA that would care to comment?

Many good posts here!

Kit Kat, I was agreeing with you and I think I read what you were saying. I was also kind of building on it. As a young coach, I made the mistake of having blanket policies for a lot of "violations" (lateness, cards, grades) but I have found that there really are exceptions to the "rules", and sometimes enforcing a penalty to one player affects the whole team (which has its place in certain situations, but in others, needs to be looked at in a different light).

Rhett, there are a number of coaches that are contacting the TSSAA and voicing their concerns. I think they will listen if we are united as a whole. They did for the 50% rule last spring.

Rhett, there are a number of coaches that are contacting the TSSAA and voicing their concerns. I think they will listen if we are united as a whole. They did for the 50% rule last spring.

I believe there is a TN Soccer Coaches association. You all need to present a united front and get this onto the June TSSAA meeting agenda. I referee basketball as well as soccer. In Basketball a player can accumulate 5 fouls in every game, be eliminated from the game, and still play the next game. But in soccer you can have 2 reckless tackles, poorly timed etc and you have a "soft" red and the player is setting out TWO games. This is wrong. NFHS has the concept of "Yellow/Red" vs "Red" cards. In my opinion "Yellow/Red" should have no additional game sanction. "Red" should have 1 additional game sanction just as soccer is in the rest of the world.

All referees are required to submit an "unusual occurrence" form any time a "Red" or "Yellow/Red" is issued. TSSAA should read the "reported reason" for the "ejection". Only when the reason is "Violent Conduct" or Foul & Abusive behavior directed at an Opponent or Official should result in a multiple game suspension.

But in soccer you can have 2 reckless tackles, poorly timed etc and you have a "soft" red and the player is setting out TWO games. This is wrong. NFHS has the concept of "Yellow/Red" vs "Red" cards. In my opinion "Yellow/Red" should have no additional game sanction. "Red" should have 1 additional game sanction just as soccer is in the rest of the world.

You don't have to sit out any additional games for recieving a soft red i don't believe, just the rest of the current game.

You don't have to sit out any additional games for receiving a soft red i don't believe, just the rest of the current game.

You are correct, I went back to the TSSAA "Handbook". In the paragraph above the "ejection" it has "in soccer RED CARD ONLY. So I guess that the "ONLY" eliminated the "Yellow/Red".

Well that stinks.

A couple of years ago I got 2 yellows in a District semi-final game in which we got eliminated. Since our season was over, I couldn't sit out any more soccer games, so they said I had to sit out the next TSSAA sponsored sport I participated in. I was a kicker on the football team and the next game I played in was the Maryville / Alcoa football game!

That was not a fun time! Thank goodness this rule has changed. I just wish it didn't take so long to figure out that 2 yellows are not that bad.

A player from CCHS got a straight red on a "Dangerous" play where he was inside the 18 and a defender tried to stop him by getting goal side. Our player had possesion of the ball and physically charged the player and was given a straight red. He was suspended for the next two games, which kept him out of the next district game where we were beaten ending the season. This player will not play in the next soccer game of next year. Too bad.

If there is a soft red, yellow/red that doesn't result in a 2 game suspension, that would be news to our coaching staff. That could be since they tend to be overly conservative and interpret rules at a very superficial level.

Suspension rules are set by each individual state, not NFHS. TSSAA will contact the school after a straight red to confirm the two game suspension. There is no suspension for a soft red. That must have been solely a coach or school decision, not TSSAA.

That straight red call on an attacker puzzles me unless he just clubbed the defender or did something violent. Dangerous play itself doesn't even warrant a yellow, just an indirect free kick for the opponent. Must be more to that story I would think.

I don't think Refs are to worried about how many games a player now has to sit out before they show a red. If a Ref deems the offense needs a red than they will show red. I assure you that a good ref does not show up to ref wanting to throw reds.

MVM, I tried to read all of the posts before jumping into this fray. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> As a referee, I don't think any referee should worry about what the suspension time frame is, or even what game in the season it is. A red card should be shown when a red card is deserved. I believe we should come in a game hoping we can do our job without too many people noticing that they were even there. But on the other hand, I'm not afraid to show a yellow or a red when the play, player or situation calls for it. We have a job to do regardless of the consequences to the player or team. Yes, the penalty is stiff, but it shouldn't effect how a referee makes calls on the field.