Red Cards

rhett

What a great insight of a referee who loves the game and is respectful to the players.

3 weeks ago, our keeper questioned a "no call" offsides and the ref gave a yellow to the keeper after telling the keeper.."come here you little ---hole." Soo sooo sad. The incident was reported to the principal and the same ref was back the following week.

The incident with the CCHS boy who got a red card....He is known to play aggressive. The referee would have given any other player a yellow for the "dangerous" offense. Some players unfortunately earn a name for themselves and are watched more closely and treated differently. This is my belief.

Mr. OKnative, great stuff. I know there are awesome referees out there!

I, too have refereed for many years..only rec. now.

When you get to higher levels, you really have to know your stuff and the soccer field is no place for a referee with a big ego.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they should come up with an orange card.. kinda like a soft yellow, but you can't give a soft red unless it's either a second yellow or acts that prevent the restart of a free kick or kick off.

but come up with an orange card - kinda like a flagarent one and flagarent two in the NBA. the orange would say he's done with this game but is allowed to play in the next.

since NFHS makes up certain rules anyways?

Blankguy - a soft red is a simply a 2nd yellow. The referee demonstrates that its the 2nd yellow given to a player by showing the red card along with the yellow. This presentation of the 2nd yellow is called a soft red because any player receiving a soft red/2nd yellow is out for the rest of the match. A referee never displays a soft red unless that player has already received a prior yellow card.

And I think there's far too much attention give to fouls and yellow cards as it is. Take the whistle, get up, scoot back and continue play. Its not necessarily a bad thing. The referee is simply trying to tell players what he will or won't allow. Players should learn from the referee's whistles and yellow cards and adjust their play accordingly.

Red cards are a different matter. They should be more obvious that something has happened. Play that is violent or dangerous - not to be confused with dangerous play; taunting; abusive language (usually the "f" word for me to give a red), racial slurs and scenarios that are similar. The play that draws a red card doesn't even have to be obviously intentional or flagrant - just violent or dangerous.

No orange card needed. There's already enough judgement taking place on the field without confusing it more with another level of card. Regular whistle fouls for controlling play; yellow cards when you're wanting to send a message; and red cards when play is not acceptable.

What a great insight of a referee who loves the game and is respectful to the players.

3 weeks ago, our keeper questioned a "no call" offsides and the ref gave a yellow to the keeper after telling the keeper.."come here you little ---hole." Soo sooo sad. The incident was reported to the principal and the same ref was back the following week.

The incident with the CCHS boy who got a red card....He is known to play aggressive. The referee would have given any other player a yellow for the "dangerous" offense. Some players unfortunately earn a name for themselves and are watched more closely and treated differently. This is my belief.

Mr. OKnative, great stuff. I know there are awesome referees out there!

I, too have refereed for many years..only rec. now.

When you get to higher levels, you really have to know your stuff and the soccer field is no place for a referee with a big ego.

cchssoccer - thanks. I do this because I love soccer and know I make the game better. It??™s a shame that any referee would say something like you described above. It makes it harder for all of us.

Interesting story about your comments about players earning a name for themselves. A few weeks ago I was watching my son??™s team play a team that I was going to officiate the following week. So I found myself watching the other team ??“ almost scouting them. And I notice two particular players who were playing what I would have been considered overly aggressive, yet not receiving any whistles from the referee. I wonder if I might have change my perspective when I changed my role from referee to parent. Certainly I didn??™t become biased like most other parents? Did I? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Anyway, I formed an opinion of those players knowing I??™d take that information into the next game.

And I did. Yet I found they players were playing differently the following week. Was it my ???biased??? opinion while they were playing against my son, or simply they changed their play from one week to the other when playing a different team. In any event, my foreknowledge of their ???reputation??? was a non-factor though I still think it was good information to have as long as it didn??™t unfairly effect my officiating. FIFA referees scout and study films of upcoming games, teams and players so I think its an acceptable model for any referee. However, I do think we need to be cautious of gamesmanship used by others to influence our officiating by giving biased information with the intent of influencing our calling.

Blankguy - a soft red is a simply a 2nd yellow. The referee demonstrates that its the 2nd yellow given to a player by showing the red card along with the yellow. This presentation of the 2nd yellow is called a soft red because any player receiving a soft red/2nd yellow is out for the rest of the match. A referee never displays a soft red unless that player has already received a prior yellow card.

And I think there's far too much attention give to fouls and yellow cards as it is. Take the whistle, get up, scoot back and continue play. Its not necessarily a bad thing. The referee is simply trying to tell players what he will or won't allow. Players should learn from the referee's whistles and yellow cards and adjust their play accordingly.

Red cards are a different matter. They should be more obvious that something has happened. Play that is violent or dangerous - not to be confused with dangerous play; taunting; abusive language (usually the "f" word for me to give a red), racial slurs and scenarios that are similar. The play that draws a red card doesn't even have to be obviously intentional or flagrant - just violent or dangerous.

No orange card needed. There's already enough judgement taking place on the field without confusing it more with another level of card. Regular whistle fouls for controlling play; yellow cards when you're wanting to send a message; and red cards when play is not acceptable.

oknative,

Don't forget there are two situations which can warrant a soft red: the second yellow is one, but the other is excessive celebration. A player can be shown the yellow red for excessive celebration without a previous yellow card.

As a high school and USSF ref, I wish NFHS would just do away with the soft red. I think they are headed that way as taunting also used to be a soft red and that was changed to a straight red. The fewer different rules the better in my opinion as it engenders confusion.

On the other hand, there are a few NFHS rules I like better than USSF like the required sub for a yellow card and an indirect free kick for the team in possession if you stop for injury, etc., instead of a drop ball.

Despite my wishes, I suspect there will always be some differences in the rules so we'll just have to deal with it. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

oknative,

Don't forget there are two situations which can warrant a soft red: the second yellow is one, but the other is excessive celebration. A player can be shown the yellow red for excessive celebration without a previous yellow card.

As a high school and USSF ref, I wish NFHS would just do away with the soft red. I think they are headed that way as taunting also used to be a soft red and that was changed to a straight red. The fewer different rules the better in my opinion as it engenders confusion.

On the other hand, there are a few NFHS rules I like better than USSF like the required sub for a yellow card and an indirect free kick for the team in possession if you stop for injury, etc., instead of a drop ball.

Despite my wishes, I suspect there will always be some differences in the rules so we'll just have to deal with it. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

MD4, thanks for the pickup on the soft red.

well its not excessive celebration- it's "any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player (s) attempt to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game." so it could be excessive celebration but it also happend in the state finals last year with farragut and bearden where the farragut player fouled and the referee told him to stop with the gestures and mouth.. He was given the soft red for not letting the free kick restart.

well its not excessive celebration- it's "any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player (s) attempt to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game." so it could be excessive celebration but it also happend in the state finals last year with farragut and bearden where the farragut player fouled and the referee told him to stop with the gestures and mouth.. He was given the soft red for not letting the free kick restart.

You mention "excessive celebration", which isn't specifically mentioned in the rules - however an act of excessive celebration is covered by the soft/red rule of prolonged delay of the restart of the game.

And yes, there are several rules which could come into play in a situation you're describing above: 1) dissent, 2) unnecessary delay, and 3) prolonged delay of a restart (as you described above).

However, read the rule with out all the options, by putting the specifics of the situation into the rule and it would read:

any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player (s) attempt to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game."

if the referee felt the players gestures and mouth were in fact a deliberate act to delay the timely restart of the game, then a soft/red could very well be appropriate, and a good call.

You mention "excessive celebration", which isn't specifically mentioned in the rules - however an act of excessive celebration is covered by the soft/red rule of prolonged delay of the restart of the game.

And yes, there are several rules which could come into play in a situation you're describing above: 1) dissent, 2) unnecessary delay, and 3) prolonged delay of a restart (as you described above).

However, read the rule with out all the options, by putting the specifics of the situation into the rule and it would read:

any delayed, excessive or prolonged act(s) by which a player (s) attempt to focus attention upon himself/herself and/or prohibits a timely restart of the game."

if the referee felt the players gestures and mouth were in fact a deliberate act to delay the timely restart of the game, then a soft/red could very well be appropriate, and a good call.

you can " cut and paste".

I don't think we want to get into that situation. We had quite a discussion on this board after that game last year as many of us thought the call was incorrect. The mouth and gestures were quite profane ( I attended that game); it didn't look like delaying the restart was his offense!!

I don't think we want to get into that situation. We had quite a discussion on this board after that game last year as many of us thought the call was incorrect. The mouth and gestures were quite profane ( I attended that game); it didn't look like delaying the restart was his offense!!

Yeah, Doc, I agree. Let's veer away from that one.

Does a team have to play a man down when a player recieves 2 yellows/red or is it just the player who is ejected but the team can still substitute and play full strength? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Player must sit out the rest of the game but team may sub for him and do not have to play short.