Red Cards

rhett

I have seen two instances this season where a GK was injured when a striker played him and not the ball. Once when the gk was stretched out and caught a high ball and was butted in the chest causing what appeared to be bruised ribs. The other was when a keeper had a diving catch and was kicked in the shoulder dislocating it. In both istances the GP did not return to the game.

Please comment on weather or not you think referees are giving fewer red cards this season. I have heard that there may be more paperwork for the ref when awarding a red and that there may be a more serious punishment for a player that gets a red.

I have seen several games this season at many venues and districts. I have not seen a red this year. This is good for most players but I wonder if we are protecting the kids as well as we can.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen two instances this season where a GK was injured when a striker played him and not the ball. Once when the gk was stretched out and caught a high ball and was butted in the chest causing what appeared to be bruised ribs. The other was when a keeper had a diving catch and was kicked in the shoulder dislocating it. In both istances the GP did not return to the game.

Please comment on weather or not you think referees are giving fewer red cards this season. I have heard that there may be more paperwork for the ref when awarding a red and that there may be a more serious punishment for a player that gets a red.

I have seen several games this season at many venues and districts. I have not seen a red this year. This is good for most players but I wonder if we are protecting the kids as well as we can.

The fewer reds may be related to the severity of the new TSSAA penalty for 2008...Ejection and then a two game suspension from play. Way to penal for HS play. A few suspect calls late in the season may well impact district and regional play.

Referees have an obligation to protect players but don't forget, a RED now could destroy some teams down the stretch.

The fewer reds may be related to the severity of the new TSSAA penalty for 2008...Ejection and then a two game suspension from play. Way to penal for HS play. A few suspect calls late in the season may well impact district and regional play.

Referees have an obligation to protect players but don't forget, a RED now could destroy some teams down the stretch.

Thanks RendragMD:

it looks like the TSSAA have made a mistake when they made this rule. As a follow up on the earlier example I gave, The ref awarded a yellow to the first player that kicked the GP. It has been years since I was a referee but I am thinking there should have been either a red card or nothing called. I am pleased the red wasn't given but have since found out the GK is out for the season.

I don't envy keepers.

Sorry to hear that....hate to hear of players getting injured. What team is he on?

Thanks RendragMD:

it looks like the TSSAA have made a mistake when they made this rule. As a follow up on the earlier example I gave, The ref awarded a yellow to the first player that kicked the GP. It has been years since I was a referee but I am thinking there should have been either a red card or nothing called. I am pleased the red wasn't given but have since found out the GK is out for the season.

I don't envy keepers.

Most of these High School Refs don't have the guts or enough confidence to even give Yellow cards much less a Red. I have never seen a Red Card in High School since I have been watching the last 5 years.

Stupid rule by the State on changing severity of pentalty because it does keep Refs from making proper calls to protect these kids which should be their primary objective.

I believe a yellow is the correct card for a collision with the keeper, as long as the collision was not deliberately violent. It definitely shouldn't be a no-call unless the keeper put himself into traffic (for instance, attacking a break away at the feet of an attacker -- the keeper will likely get run over, but for no fault of the attacker).

Are the refs doing high school games not the same ones doing the club games? I know the pay's worse, but there aren't exactly club games going on in TN for the refs to do. (Are there?) I always thought there was a significant percentage of overlap. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

We had a player get red carded for asking the ref if he was blind, lol. No profanity, no physical display. Just the old blind ref thing. So yeah, the reds are out there. BTW, after the game the player apologized for losing his cool and even saying anything and the ref blew him off. So, as I said in an earlier post, you can get away with dirty or physical play but NEVER question the eyesight of a ref, lol!

I was given a straight red card after the south doyle/karns game last night. I was yelling at one of my players to get back and I let something slip, the ref caught it and he threw me out and now I have to miss my senior night and the first round of district. Obviously I am not proud of what I did and I apologize to all the players and fans who were there.

That's unfortunate UTbound08. I bet if you were playing football, baseball, or basketball and let a dirty word slip you wouldn't be missing two games (much less even ejected). If TSSAA is going to be zero tolerance on language they need to do it across the board and not single out soccer.

The zero tolerance on language is a soccer thing not a TSSAA thing. Whether your playing club or HS, bad language will almost always get you a card. But remember the Refs handbook everything starts with "In the opinion of the ref......" So your punishment will very.