Marshall County Babe Ruth

Guest sportslover

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post. Im glad some franklin county fans got to hear about this from their own people.I am the catcher for marshall co. and would like to say that franklin co. had a great team.The player that stood out to me the most was their catcher, I believe Brown is his last name. But will all do respect, I believe the franklin co coach is a big baby.Numerous times,If he didn't like a call, he was going to stop the game just to go wine about it.For instance their was a play where franklin county was in the field and a wild throw to first brought the kid off the bag.The umpire at first saw this and called the runner safe. The f.c. coach came running out to try to appeal the call with the home plate umpire.Apparently he dosen't know to much baseball, because you can't appeal a call like that if the umpire see's it happen.In no intent am I trying to take anything away from franklin co players. Playing for 19 consective innings is tough, and both teams played with heart.But in order for baseball to be a sport, someone has to win.It's not always the best team but someone in the end outplays another and will take home the trophey.In this case it was Marshall County.I know I haved strayed from the topic of the supposed balk, but I am tired of answering questions and talking about it.I have already been interviewed by a reporter and his article can be read under the thread " Lewisburg Baseball" I believe his screen name is Baseballwatchr.

Guest springer33lchscat

Mrshall County is good.But I have a question for everyone that played agaisnt them this year an in years past.Do you think it is right for them to play with other Babe Ruth All-Star teams even though they are a traveling team?I mean their coachs have been tring to get other players from different counties has far as I remember.They asked afew of my friends an I from giles co.the past few years to join them during the district an sub-state.To me its not right for them to do that but oh well.I just want to know what other people think about it an their team

In responce: We are only a traveling team for practice for babe ruth games.All of our players reside in Marshall County and play Babe Ruth there. You were asked to join us last year when we were entering the USSSA World Series and thats all.If you are who I think you are your name is Charlie and your friend is Whitworth.I remember this because last year before heading for the tournament.Coach Hollingsworth asked us if it was alright if we picked up a few players from your team.We said sure but all of the players that were asked either refused or were on vacation and I believe our team deserves a lot more credit for being an All-Star team after defeation big teams like the Nashville Hawks,Knoxville Yard Dogs 15's,and The Knoxville yard sharks.The Hawks were defeated 14 yr old year in the world series and the latter two were defeated in tournaments in knoxville.The Yard Dogs defeat came in the championship game of the Knoxville Yard July 4th Tournament.In which we won.So I guess you can call us a traveling team but all of our players play Babe Ruth in Marshall County

[Edited by Tigercatchr on 8-15-02 11:04P]

I think if they can afford to and time permitts, then they should travel. Anytime you can do this it will improve the quality of your ball team. And that is what we are trying to do. Travel teams miss out on the competition and fun of playing on or against a team from your hometown. If your from Marshall Co. and beat a team from say Memphis, so what, the experience is good, but the fun don't last. If you are from Marshall Co. and beat a team from say Chapel Hill, now there's something to do. These Hometown memories will last a life time...

Guest springer33lchscat

Yes my name is Charlie an your guys coachs ask Whitworth an I to play with you guys but after him an I thought about it an discussed it with our coachs an thought it wouldn't be all that great for him an I becuase all of the other players would be upset an it just wouldn't of been fair.But we had a blast last year at the Southeast Region an thanks for invited us.Good luck in high school

TONY. Maybe you don't relize how small Marshall County is when It comes to Babe Ruth.Their is no team from Chapel Hill or Cornersville simply because their are not enough kids.This means that all cities in Marshall co bring their kids to Lewisburg for Babe Ruth and with that there were only 38 fifteen year-olds to choose the team from.It just goes to show what a Great tradition and coaches come from Marshall County.Our coach, Danny Hollingsworth, has coached the USSSA World series and National Champion Twitty City as well as many other of the top traveling teams in the state.He has also won 6 State Championships in Babe Ruth since 1991. All of which coming from Marshall County.He is not only a great coach that knows a lot of baseball(as you could tell in the state by pick/trick plays and strategy), but a great friend that deserves more recogination than he gets!If anyone reads this that knows of Danny Hollingsworth or played for him in past years.Please post your comments on him here!

[Edited by Tigercatchr on 8-17-02 12:03A]

Your right about your coach. He is an excellent baseball coach. I have had the priviledge of playing against his teams for several years now. Personally like him as a person. In 1997 when F.C. won the state, we defeated a very good M.C. team in the sub-state. Got to the S.E. regional, looked up, and Hollingsworth was the first person I saw. Said he liked watching our team play. F.C. also has a small group to pick from. I believe we had 32 fifteen year olds to chose from. I have heard a lot about how weak Babe Ruth is compared to the pure travel teams. Whats your opinion of this? Personally I think they are some of the best coached and have some of the best players around. I know they have the best attitudes and take the game seriously.