soccer on tv

akula21

He did play hard all day long. And if this was a hard tackle and he was going for the ball, I say good, hard play. But there was no attempt at the ball. He grabbed Ridge by the arms and jersey and dragged him down from behind. Is that playing hard? Your call.

i understand what you are saying but he no intention, im assuming, that he was trying to hurt him... i dont mind the hard foul ... he got the card and the two games off... but the also won

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand what you are saying but he no intention, im assuming, that he was trying to hurt him... i dont mind the hard foul ... he got the card and the two games off... but the also won

Oh no, I am sure he wasn't trying to hurt him. He was just trying to prevent very good goal scoring opportunity. And for that, his team is greatful. And it turned out to be a very good foul. I'm just saying, if one of my players did that, I would say smart play, but it's a little cheap.

I'm not taking anything away from Farragut, they probably deserved that game. They played very well. I just hope the loss of Muth doesn't effect the outcome of their game against West. But, looking at the depth on Farragut's bench, I'd say they will be ok.

Oh no, I am sure he wasn't trying to hurt him. He was just trying to prevent very good goal scoring opportunity. And for that, his team is greatful. And it turned out to be a very good foul. I'm just saying, if one of my players did that, I would say smart play, but it's a little cheap.

I'm not taking anything away from Farragut, they probably deserved that game. They played very well. I just hope the loss of Muth doesn't effect the outcome of their game against West. But, looking at the depth on Farragut's bench, I'd say they will be ok.

I was at the game and if any coach or player is proud to win by grabbing and taking a guy down from behind like that I would be ashamed. If that is what it takes for Farragut to win games then thats to bad. Nothing to be proud of in my opinion and I hope the loss of that player for two games costs them dearly. Very cheap and classless play in my opinion. Should have been a PK, if nothing else for the flagrance of the foul. Foul appeared to be in the box to me anyway.

I was at the game and if any coach or player is proud to win by grabbing and taking a guy down from behind like that I would be ashamed. If that is what it takes for Farragut to win games then thats to bad. Nothing to be proud of in my opinion and I hope the loss of that player for two games costs them dearly. Very cheap and classless play in my opinion. Should have been a PK, if nothing else for the flagrance of the foul. Foul appeared to be in the box to me anyway.

Foul was not in the box...not even close. I do, however, agree that it was cheap...but again, the game permits a cheap foul like that. I really am torn on this one. I, like you, would have been upset if we won like that, but I can't say that I would have reacted differently if the district title was on the line.

Foul was not in the box...not even close. I do, however, agree that it was cheap...but again, the game permits a cheap foul like that. I really am torn on this one. I, like you, would have been upset if we won like that, but I can't say that I would have reacted differently if the district title was on the line.

"we"??? Is this a clue?!?!? AKULA!!!

this is such a dumb arguement guys!! personally i'm not a big fan of muth myself but it sounds like he made a very smart play in my opinion. there is nothing to be ashamed of in that play, i could have even saved them a game so good for josef

this is such a dumb arguement guys!! personally i'm not a big fan of muth myself but it sounds like he made a very smart play in my opinion. there is nothing to be ashamed of in that play, i could have even saved them a game so good for josef

That's fine. After today's game, it was a smart play. Let's wait and see how they do against West and then decide if it was "good for josef." I sure would hate to see them lose in the region semi-final game due to a "smart play" in the District final.

That's fine. After today's game, it was a smart play. Let's wait and see how they do against West and then decide if it was "good for josef." I sure would hate to see them lose in the region semi-final game due to a "smart play" in the District final.

Let's see, Muth's "smart" playing cost Farragut one goal and later a two game suspension. Though, he did make-up for the goal by scoring one himself. Will be tough without him in an elimination game vs. West. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I do have a question for all the high school certified referees...Joseph already was carrying a yellow card when he made this foul. Does the red over ride the fact that he already was carrying a yellow. Wouldnt it be considered a soft red? I know the play deserved a straight red but i was just seeing what the rule is on this one

I do have a question for all the high school certified referees...Joseph already was carrying a yellow card when he made this foul. Does the red over ride the fact that he already was carrying a yellow. Wouldnt it be considered a soft red? I know the play deserved a straight red but i was just seeing what the rule is on this one

Good question, but unfortunately the foul Muth committed warrants a straight red card, thus overriding the previous yellow. He will be suspended two games. Fun game to watch, and I'm glad it was delayed since I was busy the night before. Here's my viewpoint as a referee... I don't see the foul as cheap, but rather a violation of the rules like all other fouls committed in a game. Think about it, every time you commit a foul in soccer, break the line of scrimmage in football, "reach in" at basketball, it's a foul. Just like Muth's infraction, he was playing "the game" just like all players in a competitive sport. That's why we have referees. Now, if he committed an egregious foul away from play while the referee's back was turned, or, if Farragut snuck an extra player on the field, then call it cheap and dirty. Muth knew exactly what would come to him during the process of tackling the player to the ground. It wasn't cheap, it was smart, but results an unfortunate consequence. And, by the way... for anyone who says that a foul like that is a "cheap way to win," or, "I'd never want to win that way," sounds like they never played at a competitive level. If you are close enough to an opponent and do not prevent him from strolling into your goal, I would question your athletic character. Here's why: does the rule say, "do not foul," or, "if a player fouls, this is is the consequence..." And furthermore, 80 minutes of soccer decides a match, not one play. Maryville did not lose, and Farragut did not win on that play. MHS lost because their offense is futile, and they did not score during flow of play. Few shots on goal. FHS won because their offense was relentless, albiet scoring on set plays, but overpowered the Rebel attack. Keep in mind Rebel fans, you lost the game playing up one man. At the end of the day, therefore, congratulations Farragut on your "cheap" win, down 11-10.

Good question, but unfortunately the foul Muth committed warrants a straight red card, thus overriding the previous yellow. He will be suspended two games. Fun game to watch, and I'm glad it was delayed since I was busy the night before. Here's my viewpoint as a referee... I don't see the foul as cheap, but rather a violation of the rules like all other fouls committed in a game. Think about it, every time you commit a foul in soccer, break the line of scrimmage in football, "reach in" at basketball, it's a foul. Just like Muth's infraction, he was playing "the game" just like all players in a competitive sport. That's why we have referees. Now, if he committed an egregious foul away from play while the referee's back was turned, or, if Farragut snuck an extra player on the field, then call it cheap and dirty. Muth knew exactly what would come to him during the process of tackling the player to the ground. It wasn't cheap, it was smart, but results an unfortunate consequence. And, by the way... for anyone who says that a foul like that is a "cheap way to win," or, "I'd never want to win that way," sounds like they never played at a competitive level. If you are close enough to an opponent and do not prevent him from strolling into your goal, I would question your athletic character. Here's why: does the rule say, "do not foul," or, "if a player fouls, this is is the consequence..." And furthermore, 80 minutes of soccer decides a match, not one play. Maryville did not lose, and Farragut did not win on that play. MHS lost because their offense is futile, and they did not score during flow of play. Few shots on goal. FHS won because their offense was relentless, albiet scoring on set plays, but overpowered the Rebel attack. Keep in mind Rebel fans, you lost the game playing up one man. At the end of the day, therefore, congratulations Farragut on your "cheap" win, down 11-10.

Whatever buddy. I did play competitive sports growing up, and I played it with passion and hated to lose more than anybody I knew. However, I also was taught there is such a thing as playing with Sportsmanship. That play was definitely poor sportsmanship and luckily in Soccer there are severe pentaties to deal with it. We will see if it pays off for Farragut.

Also, I don't agree Maryville's offense being futile. They scored the same amount of goals as Farratgut in regulation and could have won the game just as easily as Farragut. Plus as you said yourself all goals scored on set plays. Very hard fought even match in my opinion except for that one play which could cost Farragut in the long run.