Not about football.. But take a look.

Kidstaxi

I copy and pasted this from the Hardin Valley website. The cost of the dance team is crazy. I really took notice to the coaching cost. It is $50 per month, per girl. Most dance teams have 20 girls. That a $1000 a month. That just does not seem right to me.

HARDIN VALLEY ACADEMY

2008-2009

Purpose:

??? Promote and uphold school spirit

??? Set an example of good behavior at all times

??? Represent HVA to the fullest degree

??? Promote friendship and teamwork within the squad

??? Reach performance potential and to achieve goals as set forth by the team members, coach, sponsor, and parents

Upon achieving a position as a member of the Hardin Valley Academy Dance Team, it is assumed that each dancer understands and accepts the guidelines set forth in this constitution.

Financial Commitment:

Selection to the dance team includes a certain financial responsibility, including, but not limited to:

Athletic insurance___________________$40.00

Camp___________________________________$250.00

Black dance shoes_____________________$75.00

Tights/socks___________________________$15.00

Uniform Pants_________________________$60.00

Uniform tops__________________________$75.00

Camp outfits__________________________$200.00

Warm-ups_____________________________$80.00

Studio dance__________________________???

Coaching______________________________$50.00 per month per girl.

Conduct:

Dancers shall behave in a dignified

Dance and Cheerleading is a racket...............I have had two daughters whose cheerleading costs was more than a semester of college.

Ex. Girls Basketball team Fee---250.00, Soccer 150.00, Cheer---1700.00 plus 500.00 for camp and travel outfits...

Off topic for sure, but I have felt that pain.

Dance and Cheerleading is a racket...............I have had two daughters whose cheerleading costs was more than a semester of college.

Ex. Girls Basketball team Fee---250.00, Soccer 150.00, Cheer---1700.00 plus 500.00 for camp and travel outfits...

Off topic for sure, but I have felt that pain.

Ok, you may have to pay a couple hundred for football, basketball and baseball camps..etc., and should you get lucky enough to go pro you make millions.

You pay out thousands per year for dance / cheerleading. You go cheer for a pro team you make.....$50.00 a game! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Sounds like my 401K for the last few months!

OK because of my daughter I need to take up for this. Dance & cheerleading doesnt generate any money, so they have to raise their own & pay their own way. Also, how many teachers are actually qualified to teach dance routines? They have to pay a professional dance instructor to teach or coach the routines. A teacher may be the sponsor but rarely are they the actual coach. That professional instrutor probably charges regular dance class student more than $50 per month, so their probably getting a good deal. Im just stating why I think the cost might be what it is.

OK because of my daughter I need to take up for this. Dance & cheerleading doesnt generate any money, so they have to raise their own & pay their own way. Also, how many teachers are actually qualified to teach dance routines? They have to pay a professional dance instructor to teach or coach the routines. A teacher may be the sponsor but rarely are they the actual coach. That professional instrutor probably charges regular dance class student more than $50 per month, so their probably getting a good deal. Im just stating why I think the cost might be what it is.

So what about the kids that can't afford thousands a year to participate? Is there any way they get to dance or cheer? None of my kids were involved in either cheer or dance so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

So what about the kids that can't afford thousands a year to participate? Is there any way they get to dance or cheer? None of my kids were involved in either cheer or dance so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

What's up owls1987? I have a little to add to this. My daughter was on the dance team here @ Warren Co. (Pioneerettes) for all four years in high school. I can tell you it was very expensive, but you have to look at the experiences, friendships, life lessons and so on. We would get a monthly statement and it would usually be several hundred dollars. Coaches fees, outfits, extra dance classes, camp fees and partial payments leading up to the Nationals in Orlando each year. Also, their senior year they got to participate in the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving in New York. The Pioneerettes have been succesful over the years with a few National Championships, runner ups and so on. I used to complain all the time to my wife about the costs, but now I look back and think it was worth it because it help mold her into the young lady she is today! They worked their tails off to try to achieve a goal; National or State Champions!

o21putt, to answer your question of why we need dance teams at football & basketball games is because it helps the girls performing in front of crowds to get ready for competition and adds to school spirit! Yeah, the pro dance team members do not make much a game, but it can open some serious doors for them in other careers. Also if they are good enough they could get a scholarship since their parents are close to being broke! (haha)

What's up owls1987? I have a little to add to this. My daughter was on the dance team here @ Warren Co. (Pioneerettes) for all four years in high school. I can tell you it was very expensive, but you have to look at the experiences, friendships, life lessons and so on. We would get a monthly statement and it would usually be several hundred dollars. Coaches fees, outfits, extra dance classes, camp fees and partial payments leading up to the Nationals in Orlando each year. Also, their senior year they got to participate in the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving in New York. The Pioneerettes have been succesful over the years with a few National Championships, runner ups and so on. I used to complain all the time to my wife about the costs, but now I look back and think it was worth it because it help mold her into the young lady she is today! They worked their tails off to try to achieve a goal; National or State Champions!

o21putt, to answer your question of why we need dance teams at football & basketball games is because it helps the girls performing in front of crowds to get ready for competition and adds to school spirit! Yeah, the pro dance team members do not make much a game, but it can open some serious doors for them in other careers. Also if they are good enough they could get a scholarship since their parents are close to being broke! (haha)

How's it going Nitro14? I'm alive and kicking! I fully understand the costs involved. My daughters monthly band statement was tough at times on this single parent! I was questioning how kids that didn't have the financial resources were able to participate. I didn't know if money from fundraising was used to assist these kids. I think, I'm not 100% sure, that TSSAA states that a booster club cannot pay for a single kid's fees. It can help the entire team but not a single kid. Correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation. I didn't know if bands, cheerleaders and /or dance teams fall under this or not.

Another reason that they are needed at games & this is selfish, but take away the cheerleaders & band members let us say that they bring 2 or more people to the games to watch them. How much money is then lost from the gate that goes to the football team if they are not at the games?