Franklin vs. Riverdale(scrimmage)

2P i really dont want to get in a war over kids playing in certain places because we both know we can swap players espcially before blackman and siegel that would go to and fro...you have had several basketball and baseball players and even some football players leave us and go to oakland in fact you have several that are doing it right now but its ok if they come to RIVERDALE we recruit them and its wrong but if they go oakland nothing is really said ...why is that...so please stop with pointing fingers at us for the same thing that goes on at your school

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me make this point...oakland went to state in basketball in 2007. of 5 starters (compared to a possible number of 22 starters on a football team) oakland had, 2 of them were transfers...Deandre Maupins formerly of Riverdale and Jaffarious Wade formerly of Blackman. so you can look at that as about 40% of their production since those guys were on the floor most of the time. not to mention Chaisson Allen was zoned for Siegel but i left him out of those figures above so it wouldnt get really embarassing.

40% of 22 is 9 guys. when has Riverdale ever had 9 transfers on the WHOLE team? the only transfer we had this year make a significant impact was David Spurlock, who spent a total of 1 semester at Siegel his freshman year and sat out his sophmore year being ineligible. oh btw, his uncle is an assistant principal at Riverdale, so do you think it was Rankin's illegal recruiting tactics that got him over here?

It was more about the players playing for Riverdale who played there while living in other school's zones. The biggest examples that I will name are Ralph King, Mr Football and winner of various other HUGE awards, who lived smack dab in the middle of Oakland's zone his whole 4 yrs. Then of course there was Gaston Miller, another Mr Football and Vandy player, who lived smack dab in the middle of Blackman's zone. There were some other minor ones, such as Marques Locke, who lived INSIDE Blackman High School and would wash his car right beside the stadium in his Riverdale clothes while using Blackman's water......also Chad Hunter who lived in Blackman's zone his whole career too. Yes, I know someone will mention Marcus Barnes who played for OHS baseball and used to be at Blackman. Yes, he remained in the BHS zone while finishing his career at OHS. HOWEVER, he SAT out a yr to do so which complied with the rules of TSSAA.

But just a few, but players who made their mark on Riverdale. Had they actually moved into your zone, it wouldn't have been so big a deal. But they didn't. There are more but I thought mentioning impact players would show how blatantly rules were bent.

Of course there was the war for Precious too.........that one truly got ugly.

Back to the topic now......I agree that scrimmages mean nothing. Oakland always managed to win all of theirs in spring and summer and we know how that translated over. Scrimmages are a good measuring stick.

No, I know exactly who Precious is and the 'strange' things that occurred. As far as I could tell there was never anything there except some fan that made an off-hand comment. From there, paranoia ran wild and some really, dumb moves were made.

I'll have to admit it was fun fanning the flames here on CoachT. Fortunately, I'm a better person now.

back on topic...

riverdale will be competitive this year...although they WILL NOT 100% win the region...i say they go 6-4 and make the playoffs as the last team from their region.

they got beat bad in two scrimmages...this could mean something and this could mean nothing...it is 50/50 right now and no one knows if this continues or if this means they will be a very good football team...wait and see is the mode ...however...it would make me nervous...no matter what kind of offense that my team ran...if they got beat as bad as they did...not hopeless...but certainly nervous...

riverdale has such great fans...a great tradition...as good as i have seen anywhere...so i sort of agree with some of the post on here ...that it will be hard for the fans to swallow if they don't do well...and i can see them blaming the coach instead of just looking at where they are at the time...with the athletes and experience they have...not saying this will happen...but it sure smells and looks like a real possibility

Region 4-5a should be interesting...i personally hope you have a great year...

I have lots of experience with the warrior program (and some hardware to go along with it), so i'll throw my two cents worth in here...first off LOD, losing forrest to blackman is NOT a bad thing for the warriors...trust me...second thing, everybody needs to understand once and for all that programs rise and fall due to lack of coaching, athleticism, discipline, leadership, funding, etc...or combinations of all these...no program can stand on top for all eternity...i've always known this (even as a player amidst those diehard warrior fans who swore the 'dale should be bumped to the S.E.C.)...i was fortunate enough to be there in the middle of the riverdale dynasty, and it was maintained for one reason and one reason only...not solely because of coaching or athleticism or recruiting or whatever...we were who we were because WE DID NOT EXPECT OR SETTLE FOR FAILURE and simply put, WE DID NOT KNOW HOW TO LOSE...the tradition that came along with putting on the cardinal and gold meant that your absolute best effort was a prerequisite for being on the team...100+ players on a team all giving their utmost effort can end in nothing less than success...how else do you explain rankin only playing the same 25-30 kids every game and yet still keeping more players than jerseys...and last thing, when i was there, we had ONE d-1 kid on our team, and we still made it to the BCB...made it all three years i was on varsity without any real d-1 talent...we succeeded because we trusted each other and held each other accountable...if someone was booted off the team, it was always by his teammates and NEVER by the coaching staff...thats the type of team mentality we had...if riverdale has lost that altogether then they are simply not the same riverdale of '91 til rankin left...he began that mentality and cultivated it every year, regardless of talent...we beat better teams because we expected to win every game, every series, every down...number of d1 prospects has no bearing on your teams outcome...if they have that d1 mentality, then the sky is the limit...if they've lost that, then no amount of buckling your chinstraps on the sidelines or running to and from the line of scrimmage is gonna do anything...look at riverdale's d1 signees from last year...more on that team than all my years combined, yet not nearly the success...riverdale needs to revive the tradition and enthusiasm and mentality that seems to have exited with rankin before they can ever expect to achieve that top-tier status again...

sorry TDC...my bad

you guys will be fine this year...i really think if will come together

You are a class act pattonboysdad! And I have a feeling Blackman will have a great year also and best wishes to your son also! Its always great to see good sportsmanship on the T. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well I am venturing that Aydelott & Co. are missing coaches such as Creasy and Patterson more than people on here originally expected huh?????

I guess that they are quality coaches despite now coaching at Trousdale Co. & Cheatham Co. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

voodoochild, I agree 100% that the prior teams did NOT expect to lose as losing was NEVER mentioned in my house at least. The teams then did have a winning swagger and it showed. From warmups to getting on the bus to go home the swagger was there. Along with that swagger there was consequences if the team did not play up to expectations and the players knew that also. Remember running the snake if you were scored on?

As to Coach Forrest going to Blackman, while we will disagree on the quality of his coaching, his teams WERE disciplined at Central and not running wild like it is there now. They also WON games there during his tenure also unlike it is now. From what I am seeing it is even possible that Christiana might beat them this year.

voodoochild, I agree 100% that the prior teams did NOT expect to lose as losing was NEVER mentioned in my house at least. The teams then did have a winning swagger and it showed. From warmups to getting on the bus to go home the swagger was there. Along with that swagger there was consequences if the team did not play up to expectations and the players knew that also. Remember running the snake if you were scored on?

As to Coach Forrest going to Blackman, while we will disagree on the quality of his coaching, his teams WERE disciplined at Central and not running wild like it is there now. They also WON games there during his tenure also unlike it is now. From what I am seeing it is even possible that Christiana might beat them this year.

That's not how I recall Central at all. Don't think that I ever looked at them and said..now them guys are disciplined!

the coach @ rivadale is only playin with playas in his zone.

rankin would have had montori rod sonny chris gray bather upchurch joshday & mauricio all livin @ his dorm

& anotha ring

coach barnes waz the best coach central eva had

once he left

it all went downhill