CAK - Catholic

uniden

Aren't schools placed in Divisions by TSSAA by size of school. I think that's how it works. A school can't just request to move up, high schools are not universities. Most high schools go through some highs and lows. For the past few years it's been Farragut and Beardon, CAK and Catholic, etc....Eventually, there are rebuilding years. Just the way it is. To throw recruiting in the mix is a cheap shot. Just because one private school did it in Nashville and got caught, doesn't mean all private schools do it.

I'll pick CAK. Is Brandon back playing?

G, my apologies, but I've got to respond and you know why. I won't do it again, I promise.

On classification and recruiting, BlackmanSoccerDad's post is simple, straightforward and 100% correct.

Kaz, I love your posts, but you are flat wrong and uniden is absolutely correct about recruiting. It has NEVER happened in all my years at Catholic (i.e. 1998-now) and if it did, I am pretty sure I would know about it. Before that, Catholic has had only two or three years of ever going to the State tournament. I assume no one is concerned with "recruiting" as long as teams are unsuccessful. We built a program and we built it the right way. Give it up and compete.

Finally, CAK v. Catholic---the real topic of this thread. Brandon or not, I think this is the year for the Irish provided they stay focused. Of course, I think I thought the same thing in 2001, 2002 and 2004, so I guess I'm not real good at fortune telling. Go Irish! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way BigG, I really appreciated hearing about your offer to play on Friday, thus giving the Catholic seniors a good solid day of rest before Sectionals. You are a never ending source of kindness and caring! In the same vein, it would be quite all right for Brandon to take a night off. Save him for next week and the tournament. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> One way or the other, I want to see two more matches between the Irish and the Warriors. You can let him play in the second one. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I hope to see you at the match. Since we are having a drought, it doesn't seem reasonable to pray against rain, but maybe just a little clearing between 6 and 10 tomorrow would be nice. Good luck, but--well you know--better luck to the Irish! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

By the way BigG, I really appreciated hearing about your offer to play on Friday, thus giving the Catholic seniors a good solid day of rest before Sectionals. You are a never ending source of kindness and caring! In the same vein, it would be quite all right for Brandon to take a night off. Save him for next week and the tournament. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> One way or the other, I want to see two more matches between the Irish and the Warriors. You can let him play in the second one. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I hope to see you at the match. Since we are having a drought, it doesn't seem reasonable to pray against rain, but maybe just a little clearing between 6 and 10 tomorrow would be nice. Good luck, but--well you know--better luck to the Irish! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yeah, you know me Hoya. Just trying to be kind to those graduating seniors from Catholic. (There were years that the state tournament was on graduation... talk about making a tough choice!) I guess we'll get out our mucklucks and flippers and go for round 11 in the rain. I'm sure you will be high and dry in the press box!

I'm sure you will be high and dry in the press box!

I'll be sure to wave whenever I can. Of course, you may not be able to see me in the downpour, but I'll be waving. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hoya, recruit is such an inappropriate word to use because I don't think it fits this scenario. And based on the definition if the word....I would, in fact, agreed with your statement (and uniden's). Your facilities and academic reputation preactically sell themselves, so your logically going to attract preferable students. If a child comes to you without the finacial resources or even a sterling academic record, but perhaps they are exceptionally "gifted" in a particular sport.......can your institution manage to allow access into it's halls to that individual? What if the kid lives in Oliver Springs, but is willing to transport every day to the school......can that occur? Catholic, CAK,....are both fine institutions of learning and, if I could, would be great places for my girls to attend H.S., but they can easily be seen as sports "meccas", because they can allow the students they want into their door without restrictions. Hoya, if I am 6'6" 275 pound sophmore that has started for two years at a Major Knoxville H.S., my parents move to a nice suburb outside of town and I'm thinking I'd like to finish up at K.C. because they have great facilities and without question I'd play immediately because colleges are already knocking on my door. Could you get me in? I think you could and that is different than a lot of the schools you compete against. Does it make you a bad institution, heck no.....I'll continually state, for the record, that you have an exceptional good school......but it is different.

I know I humor a lot of you /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Shoot I even agree I whine too much (to no one in my neck of the woods)! I need to start bothering the neighbors. I have probably met you at one time or another (BigG, definitely)! I like talking among you I consider,.....intellectuals /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> the eye roll is for me! Sometimes I know I "step in the poo", forgive me. I hope both KC and CAK have a rollicking good time in the wet, I am sure you will both represent this half of the state well in M'boro.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Hoya, recruit is such an inappropriate word to use because I don't think it fits this scenario. And based on the definition if the word....I would, in fact, agreed with your statement (and uniden's). Your facilities and academic reputation preactically sell themselves, so your logically going to attract preferable students. If a child comes to you without the finacial resources or even a sterling academic record, but perhaps they are exceptionally "gifted" in a particular sport.......can your institution manage to allow access into it's halls to that individual? What if the kid lives in Oliver Springs, but is willing to transport every day to the school......can that occur? Catholic, CAK,....are both fine institutions of learning and, if I could, would be great places for my girls to attend H.S., but they can easily be seen as sports "meccas", because they can allow the students they want into their door without restrictions. Hoya, if I am 6'6" 275 pound sophmore that has started for two years at a Major Knoxville H.S., my parents move to a nice suburb outside of town and I'm thinking I'd like to finish up at K.C. because they have great facilities and without question I'd play immediately because colleges are already knocking on my door. Could you get me in? I think you could and that is different than a lot of the schools you compete against. Does it make you a bad institution, heck no.....I'll continually state, for the record, that you have an exceptional good school......but it is different.

I know I humor a lot of you /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Shoot I even agree I whine too much (to no one in my neck of the woods)! I need to start bothering the neighbors. I have probably met you at one time or another (BigG, definitely)! I like talking among you I consider,.....intellectuals /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> the eye roll is for me! Sometimes I know I "step in the poo", forgive me. I hope both KC and CAK have a rollicking good time in the wet, I am sure you will both represent this half of the state well in M'boro.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Kaz,

you are right on, and everyone knows it!

Commence with the Swim Meet! Entering the field first should be the Divers I believe. We will then proceed with the main event.......the 120 meter freestyle. Good thing Donovan decided to skip this meet, but I heard Beckham will be there! Wonder which coach will get thrown into the pool after it's all over. I'm going Irish 4-2.

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Kazzy /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

p.s. Right or wrong.....it is what it is right now.

I'm surprised G hasn't suggested his infamous wrestling match to decide things yet. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

We could throw Hoya and G in the mud and let them go at it. Wait, on second thought, lets not do that. Ahhhh, now I can't close my eyes.

Good Luck to both teams Guys tomorrow night, on Saturday, and Hopefully on a great run next week.

I'm surprised G hasn't suggested his infamous wrestling match to decide things yet. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

We could throw Hoya and G in the mud and let them go at it. Wait, on second thought, lets not do that. Ahhhh, now I can't close my eyes.

Good Luck to both teams Guys tomorrow night, on Saturday, and Hopefully on a great run next week.

You are a sick man! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have probably met you at one time or another (BigG, definitely)! I like talking among you I consider,.....intellectuals /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> the eye roll is for me! Sometimes I know I "step in the poo", forgive me.

Actually I think we have met and, if I'm wrong, we need to.

There is a strong and loyal core of high school soccer fans on this board that can have differences but who remain totally united in our enthusiasm and support for our sport. I enjoy reading your posts and, usually, I agree with most of them. You know the game.

The recruiting thing is a sore point because we faced the real deal while we were in DII and we still learned to compete successfully with the same kids we had always attracted. The entire time I was at Catholic, I can't remember a single senior class with more than 3 or 4 starters. One year we only had a single senior. We always had to start at least 2 or 3 freshmen to be competitive. Sometimes we actually played with 5 or 6 backs just to stay in matches. We never had depth like Baylor, McCallie and, in those days, Webb, and we sure didn't have the consistent number of great players that Farragut and Bearden would send our way every year. But we learned to play with what we had and we became successful. It absolutely wasn't because of recruiting. Hence, my unhappiness with the word.

I appreciate and respect your views and I hope to have this talk in person some day. Thanks for all you do to support our sport. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> P.S. By the way, stepping "in poo" is probably the only athletic event I still excel at! Ask BigG.