Jackson Christian vs. Rockwood

Rogkid42

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will pick JCS over Rockwood. Jackson Christian is 18-1 in class A. Rockwood is 18-3. Facing AA opponents, Rockwood is 7-1. Jackson Christian is 8-3. JCS has scored 301 runs and allowed 156. Rockwood has scored 277 and allowed 171. Rockwood's margin of victory to teams with a similar winning precentage of JCS's is -9. JCS's mov against teams with a similar winning percentage as that of Rockwood's is -11 which is only from the 28-6 Lexington Tigers who lost a heartbreaking AA sectional to David Lipscomb in extra innings 7-8. The average win percentage of Rockwood's opponents is 48.9% JCS opponents average: 57.3% (These statistics come from coacht.com and aren't 100% guarunteed as not all teams report their results. Especially since JCS played a AAAA from Mississippi in Jackson Prep that is incredible and great team from Georgia as well.)

The Voice of the Eagles

I will pick JCS over Rockwood. Jackson Christian is 18-1 in class A. Rockwood is 18-3. Facing AA opponents, Rockwood is 7-1. Jackson Christian is 8-3. JCS has scored 301 runs and allowed 156. Rockwood has scored 277 and allowed 171. Rockwood's margin of victory to teams with a similar winning precentage of JCS's is -9. JCS's mov against teams with a similar winning percentage as that of Rockwood's is -11 which is only from the 28-6 Lexington Tigers who lost a heartbreaking AA sectional to David Lipscomb in extra innings 7-8. The average win percentage of Rockwood's opponents is 48.9% JCS opponents average: 57.3% (These statistics come from coacht.com and aren't 100% guarunteed as not all teams report their results. Especially since JCS played a AAAA from Mississippi in Jackson Prep that is incredible and great team from Georgia as well.)

The Voice of the Eagles

Wow.. Somebody has done thier homework. Dont count Rockwood out just yet though. They play with alot of pride and they wont go down without a fight. Im picking Rockwood in a great game.

The Voice of the Eagles

Jackson Prep won thier Division of the Mississippi State tournament.

I would never count out any team that has made it this far in the tournament. Every team in the bracket deserves to be there for sure. I am absolutely certain that they play with pride and won't go down without a fight. I would expect nothing less. The Eagles have a lot of fight and pride in them, too. I am definitely expecting a close game in the opening round.

Anybody else with thoughts or statistics to share? I really would like to hear them.

The Voice of the Eagles

The Voice of the Eagles

If this were major league baseball, all the effort you expended in compiling this data would mean something. But since these schools dont play each other or the same opponents then this is meaningless. Remember the old saying, statistics lie! You can take numbers and make them say anything you desire. In this case how can you compare margin of victory when they havent played the same teams or faced the same pitchers? If you give up 10 or 15 runs to a team and your ace is on the mound its different than giving up 10 or 15 runs with a jv pitcher getting a start! Rockwood for example rested their top pitchers (plural) in a game earlier in the yr in order to give some younger guys some work to prepare them for the state, They gave up 15 runs in a single game! That ran up the runs against and margin of victory numbers. However, next time they faced that same team they pitched one of their better pitchers and he pitched a one hitter. So even with the same two teams, the numbers are hard to compare because of factors like who was pitching. Some times teams will save their best pitchers in games that count and throw off in non-district games. So stats like margin of victory or runs allowed or runs scored means very little. Rockwood was 18-3 in single A games but 2 of those 3 losses were to Harriman that is also in the state tournament! The other loss was to coalfield which beat rockwood and harriman in the regular season and was one out away from the substate when a dropped fly ball on what would have been the final out cost them the game. The quality of the opponent plays a major role in subjective stats like margin of victory and runs allowed and winning percentage of opponents! Last year rockwood scored 10 runs or more in every district and region game except one and they scored 9 in that one. The vast majority of their games lasted only 5 innings due to the run rule. Last year I am sure if you had done a similar examination of statistics, the tigers would have looked like the best team in the state! In fact Rockwood was undefeated against single A opponents until they went to the state last yr. That didnt guarantee them a ring!!!! Last yr Rockwood had two players that made all state. One hit 18 homeruns and the other hit 9 or 10. This year they have hit 10 and 5 respectively. Have those players gotten worse? Homerun statistics say yes.....but in reality, each one has played better overall this year than last. The homerun numbers are down because ppl pitched more carefully to them this year and also pitched around then when the opportunity existed. Bottom line: numbers are fun to talk about but games are won between the lines, no team has ever lost a game because they looked at the statistics and said "We give! The numbers are against us. We wont even try!"

from the end of last season, rockwood has been in a process of humbling themselves. losing 2 of 3 last year at BORO showed them that you cant just show up and win. also during this season, they were brought down to earth very quickly when they got smacked by coalfield. that brought them down to earth for a good while. then they started getting a bit cocky, assuming they were going to make it to state. they rolled through the district and went into region thinking it was a cake walk. then baseball being baseball, wartburg beats coalfield twice and rockwood has to play coalfield in an elimination game.rockwood was then a dropped ball away from not even being metioned on coacht til next year. i was at the game. coalfields players were all out of the dugout celebrating, and bam! again, baseball being baseball. that again was a wake up call that it would all be over like that. the harriman was bad for many reasons. it got bumped up and i dont think rockwoods heads were ever right for that game. not using that as an excuse because harriman played great. then they get the W when it counts the most on the road and end up drawing JCS, the team that beat them twice last year, again in the first round. sounds to me like all this could be fate. i mean rockwood was a pop fly away from being done, that kid had caught every ball hit to him all day and had that last one in the glove. i hope rockwood comes to play tuesday. gas is too costly for me to drive up there for an ole fashion butt whoopin.