Goodpasture vs. Marion County

Bill#49

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I believe that was apparent to both teams with no opposition. There are no hard feelings toward GP at all because who would blame them for taking advantage of a break like that? I am sure Marion would have loved to have the out on two strikes as well. After consulting the official book keeper post game he did have the correct count as did Marion's book keeper in the stands. The first call was wrong on two strikes as was the second call of a walk on three balls. Bottom line is two good teams showed up on the field and one walked away a winner on the error of an umpire. I believe firmly that an appology should be issued by the umpire, if not the TSSAA as a whole, to both teams and a friendly re-match for the sake of the players knowing who really is the winner.

Yes I believe that was apparent to both teams with no opposition. There are no hard feelings toward GP at all because who would blame them for taking advantage of a break like that? I am sure Marion would have loved to have the out on two strikes as well. After consulting the official book keeper post game he did have the correct count as did Marion's book keeper in the stands. The first call was wrong on two strikes as was the second call of a walk on three balls. Bottom line is two good teams showed up on the field and one walked away a winner on the error of an umpire. I believe firmly that an appology should be issued by the umpire, if not the TSSAA as a whole, to both teams and a friendly re-match for the sake of the players knowing who really is the winner.

I doubt an apology will happen, because the very same umpire was behind the plate for the championship game today.

won't do a re-match

I am sure both sugestions are far from reality, but in a perfect world both are due. I hate to hear that even the championship had such a moron be a part of it, for both teams. This is one of life's lessons to the team and the coach especially, speak up when you are done wrong if you want it to change. Otherwise once you let it go it may be too late, goodpasture's coach realized this unlike Marion's.

I agree, it sounds like a real mess up but if they scored four more after that then those hits and runs might have come in the next inning, you never know.

And then again Marion might not have allowed those four runs in the the other innings since they scored 3 in the bottom of the 5th to make it 5 to 3.

How would any team react after this fiasco. I am sure Marion's team was greatly affected mentally by this turn of events. The boys, coaches, parents and fans had to be in disbelief that such incompetent umpires were ever allowed to call a state championship game!

Did any one notice at the championship game between GP and DL, when the Umpires posed for their photo, all 6, including Mr. Inconsistent, held up indicators? How ironic.

I would love to have this picture.

THat is just like putting salt into the wound and truely shows that they have no class. T$$AA should not of let that happen.

Marion did not lose this game! This game was taken away by three guys that apparently had no reason to be umping a game at this level. Let me give you the situation. Goodpasture had a man on, and the batter had one ball and two strikes on him. He took the next pitch which the umpire called strike three and gave the out signal and both teams leave the field. Let me tell you also that the score is 3-2 Goodpasture at this time in the 5th. Both teams leave the field and as the coach is walking across he asked if it was just strike two. So the umpire behind the plate goes out to confir with the two base umps. They decided that the count was just two and two and ask for both teams to come back onto the field. The problem is that none of the umps including the home plate ump were using indicators and were just using their memory. If they would have just went to the official score keeper they would have indeed found the correct count and it would have been the third out right there. They went on to score 4 runs after that. Marion did rally and put three on the board which should have been enough to win the game. Goodpasture is a good team but the better team did not win this game. When they met in game one they were the better team but not tonight. Sam, Zeke, Justin, Hershel, Blake all deserve to go out better than this. This was really ashame. The game should not have been decided by the three guys calling the game. Unfortunately it was. And by the way, this was reported to the T$$AA officials and they said they were aware of the situation and that they had no avenue in which this could be resolved. That they did not have any way to correct what had happened. Also I think it is worth mentioning that when all this was going on that the T$$AA official got in his vehicle and left so that he could not be confronted with this. Good luck to Goodpasture and I hope the lefty isnt hurt to bad from his fall. Also, Joe Muir pitched on heck of a game. Sam Griswald had four hits.

okay the situation was with the whole count thing since i would know cuz i was the batter it was 2-1 and he threw a curveball down for a strike[ good pitch on his part] to bring it to a 2-2 count then he called me out. and coach got upset so he went and talked to the blue and after conferring with his other officials they made the right call bringing everyone out there to finish the at-bat. the thing that was not noticed was on the very next pitch he threw a curveball down for ball 3 and he gave me a walk which anyone in my situation would have taken so i took it and walked on 3 pitches yes the officials did stink and there should have been some people over the age of thirty that could count to 3. but yall did play great probably the best we have seen since district tournament congrats on a great season

okay the situation was with the whole count thing since i would know cuz i was the batter it was 2-1 and he threw a curveball down for a strike[ good pitch on his part] to bring it to a 2-2 count then he called me out. and coach got upset so he went and talked to the blue and after conferring with his other officials they made the right call bringing everyone out there to finish the at-bat. the thing that was not noticed was on the very next pitch he threw a curveball down for ball 3 and he gave me a walk which anyone in my situation would have taken so i took it and walked on 3 pitches yes the officials did stink and there should have been some people over the age of thirty that could count to 3. but yall did play great probably the best we have seen since district tournament congrats on a great season

Thanks for the post sir. Thats about as definitive a post from someone who would know as anyone could hope for. Congratulations on your state championship. Neither team asked for this mess; both played on after the fiasco caused by umps. Take the umps out of the picture and I thought both teams played hard for the win. If nothing else, GP and Marion played in a game that will be remembered and talked about for a long time.