We are Marion County High School

Bill#49

Here is a LINK to some really good pictures. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out how to get the actual pictures on here.......

Pictures of surrounding cities in Marion County

Great job PurpleGrad finding this site. I wonder if Mrs. Raffo and the ladies at the Jasper Museum would have some pictures that we could get on the website I work on Marion County Warriors - Countdown to South Pittsburg!! Turn up your speakers!!

Several links to pictures of Marion County's different schools over the years

Marion County History

South Pittsburg Newspapers on Microfilm at Tennessee State Library and Archives

South Pittsburg (Marion)

Marion County Record. O 19 1932 - F ? 1933. w.

with South Pittsburg Hustler

TSLA HOLDINGS: O 19 1932 - F 2 1933

South Pittsburg Hustler. My 5 1899 ??“ present. w.

Suspended publication My 20 1910 - My 19 1911

Jasper Optimist, one page supplement published as part of the Hustler from Jl 4 through O 10 1929

TSLA HOLDINGS: My 5 1899 - Ap 27 1900; My 3 1907 - 1913; 1922 - present

Jasper newspapers on Microfilm at Tennessee State Library and Archives

Jasper (Marion)

Jasper Journal. F 17 1938 ??“ present. w.

TSLA HOLDINGS: F 17 1938 - present

Marion County Democrat. 1890 ??“ 1898. w.

Continues Weekly Regulator.

Merged with Statesman (South Pittsburg) to form Statesman - Democrat (South Pittsburg and Jasper).

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: O 22 1898

Marion County Sunday Journal. Ja 1937 - ? w.

TSLA HOLDINGS: S 1993 ??“ D 1994

Sequachee Herald. ? - ? w.

Continues Valley Herald?

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: Ja 3 1889

Sequachee Sun. ? - ? 1874. w.

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: My 1 1873

Statesman - Democrat. 1901 ??“ 1915. w.

Published in South Pittsburg, 1899 - 1901

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: Je 7 1907; Ag 12 1910; Jl 3 1914

Note: Issues for My 27 1904; My 18 1906; Ap?, My 24, Ag 9, N 22 1912; Ap 3, 11 1913 with (Chattanooga) Hamilton County Miscellaneous Papers

Valley Herlad. Mr 12? 1874 - ? 1880. w.

Continued by Sequachee Herald?

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: Jl 8 1875; Ja 13 1876; D 6 1878

Note: Issue for Ag 3 1882 with (Chattanooga). Hamilton County Miscellaneous Papers

Weekly Regulator. 1889 ??“ 1890. w.

Continued by Marion County Democrat.

with Jasper Journal

TSLA HOLDINGS: Ap 26 1890

old picture of Marion County Courthouse

South Pittsburg 1920's

Whitwell pictures

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a kid from MC or SP want to take construction or drafting, what do they have to do? Answer, drive to Whitwell. If a student from Whitwell or SP wants to take welding, what do they have to do? Answer, drive to Jasper.

Ahhh... SP probably has the best welding program in the county and has a good construction program also. (I'm not sure about the drafting) The equipment they have is pretty good and they get a lot of hands on training. We even had a couple of kids get scholarships to technical schools and several others were accepted in apprenticeship programs. Once the new gym - shop building is complete the program will have the extra room it needs to add even more equipment and course offerings

Not sure about Jasper but I was pleasantly surprised at the number (over half) of the kids from South Pittsburg getting scholarships including 4 athletic scholarships. We also have several students/athletes going into trade programs including several also on scholarship. Not everyone is cut out for college. I have seen what happens at bigger schools after a consolidation...it is not all positive. I really don't think that consolidation is the only way to improve schools. Having an administration committed to constantly striving to improve is the key in any school large or small.

Just learned that the total dollar value of the scholships recieved by South Pittsburg graduates this year was over $900,000....highest total in the county. Not bad for a school with 250 students in 9-12

Ahhh... SP probably has the best welding program in the county and has a good construction program also. (I'm not sure about the drafting) The equipment they have is pretty good and they get a lot of hands on training. We even had a couple of kids get scholarships to technical schools and several others were accepted in apprenticeship programs. Once the new gym - shop building is complete the program will have the extra room it needs to add even more equipment and course offerings

The extra room will definitely help with additional equipment... but I don't see it being a help for additional course offerings... you would have to hire additional teachers.... we already have several "traveling" teachers right now... one's that spend portions of their day at one school and then travel to a second school...

I agree Bill... I think consolidation is what is best for our students. But, there are too many "adults" who have grown up with the rivalry between the three towns and they will never let it happen. Sports, specifically football, rules this county and until education becomes a priority, we'll be content to pump out very athletic burger flippers.

The problem lies with the generation from 1950-1980 everybody else really don't care. Nobody really cares about the kid's and their education(consolidation)! It's just a ###### contest between Jasper folks and South Pitt folks ages 50 and older. Nobody from my generation is in this ###### contest. We don't care!!! Sure we care that 1 Friday night of the year but thats all. Y'all old heads just take everything too far.

The problem lies with the generation from 1950-1980 everybody else really don't care. Nobody really cares about the kid's and their education(consolidation)! It's just a ###### contest between Jasper folks and South Pitt folks ages 50 and older. Nobody from my generation is in this ###### contest. We don't care!!! Sure we care that 1 Friday night of the year but thats all. Y'all old heads just take everything too far.

Those of you who know me know that I love football as much as anyone else... but I can't for the life of me understand how a football rivalry can cloud so many people's vision.

You are assuming that you only have enough students for one of each of these classes. If you had multiple sections of one or more of these classes, then you are right back into a scheduling nightmare with little opportunity to cover the need. Take a look around at the larger schools and tell me one, just one, that has trouble offering enough classes for their students. You can't.

It really is a mute point because the fact of the matter is.... most of us on this board will never live to see the consolidation. There are too many narrow minded "adults" in the county that are so blinded by the Friday Night Lights that they can't see what would be best for our students. Sad really.

The requirement to qualify for valedictorian and salutatorian at SPHS was 4 years of math and 4 years of science in addition to the usual. If they are no longer teaching trig, analyte or physics, apparently that has changed. There was never an issue of not enough teachers or students taking these courses. Now it seems that there is a problem. The problems need fixed regardless of whether there are the 3 high schools or an amalgamated central high school that would no doubt be in Jasper. SPHS used to be one of the best academic schools in the valley.

Edit: or to rephrase all of that, Why did it used to work and now all of a sudden it doesn't?

The requirement to qualify for valedictorian and salutatorian at SPHS was 4 years of math and 4 years of science in addition to the usual. If they are no longer teaching trig, analyte or physics, apparently that has changed. There was never an issue of not enough teachers or students taking these courses. Now it seems that there is a problem. The problems need fixed regardless of whether there are the 3 high schools or an amalgamated central high school that would no doubt be in Jasper. SPHS used to be one of the best academic schools in the valley.

Edit: or to rephrase all of that, Why did it used to work and now all of a sudden it doesn't?

Old Pirate says simple question with simple answer. The lack of accountability from parent,student,teacher and administration.

Everyone wants to point fingers and suggest the problem is the small schools. OP says bull................................ su........gar.

You thought you had OP didn't you zone?

Simple question..... simple answer..... President Bush's No Child Left Behind (NCLB) initiative.....

Too much Federal and State emphasis on passing three (soon to be nine) tests before you can graduate. Graduation rate required to be 100% by 1014. Schools being placed on the "LIST" if they don't meet Annual Yearly Progress (AYP). Schools losing funding if they continue to miss AYP..... YEP. MR. Bush hit a homer with this one! ..... Let's establish goals that are unreachable, force every school in the country to meet those goals by 1014, publically humiliate the schools that do not meet AYP, give those schools specific action plans to correct their problems and take away the money that they desperately need in order to begin to solve their problems.

Now... if you fail to see the connection, let me spell it out for you.... When we were in school, we didn't have to pass Math, Science and English GateWay tests in order to receive our diploma's. We simply had to attain the required number of credits. The Math GateWay is taken in conjunction with Algebra I.... the Science GateWay is given in conjunction with Biology I and the English GateWay is given in conjunction with English II or Sophomore English. Since schools AND Specific Teachers get penalized for all failures of first-time takers, most schools will have the kids go through one or more Foundations course(s) to learn the basics before taking Algebra I. This means that instead of taking Alg. I in their Freshman year, many students will have Alg I in their sophomore year. That means that they have to take Alg II, Geometry, Trig and Pre-calc in their junior and senior years. Probably do-able for the Valedictorian and Top Ten but dang difficult for that B/C student who also has his/her eye on attending college....

Schools.... especially the smaller schools with a small faculty.... will not be able to offer as many advanced level classes as larger schools that have larger faculties. If all three schools were joined together we would have roughly 1200 students.... we would also have 10-12 math teachers which would allow for more class offerings as well as being able to ensure that each student has the opportunity to graduate..... Take a look at the faculty of Walker Valley High School (visit the school web site).... A combined County school would be about the same size as WV.... look at the courses that are offered there versus what our SP, or MCHS, or WHS students are able to get. If you can do the comparison and not see that our students would be better off educationally with a consolidated system, then you truly must be blinded by those Friday Night Lights.........

Simple question..... simple answer..... President Bush's No Child Left Behind (NCLB) initiative.....

Too much Federal and State emphasis on passing three (soon to be nine) tests before you can graduate. Graduation rate required to be 100% by 1014. Schools being placed on the "LIST" if they don't meet Annual Yearly Progress (AYP). Schools losing funding if they continue to miss AYP..... YEP. MR. Bush hit a homer with this one! ..... Let's establish goals that are unreachable, force every school in the country to meet those goals by 1014, publically humiliate the schools that do not meet AYP, give those schools specific action plans to correct their problems and take away the money that they desperately need in order to begin to solve their problems.

Now... if you fail to see the connection, let me spell it out for you.... When we were in school, we didn't have to pass Math, Science and English GateWay tests in order to receive our diploma's. We simply had to attain the required number of credits. The Math GateWay is taken in conjunction with Algebra I.... the Science GateWay is given in conjunction with Biology I and the English GateWay is given in conjunction with English II or Sophomore English. Since schools AND Specific Teachers get penalized for all failures of first-time takers, most schools will have the kids go through one or more Foundations course(s) to learn the basics before taking Algebra I. This means that instead of taking Alg. I in their Freshman year, many students will have Alg I in their sophomore year. That means that they have to take Alg II, Geometry, Trig and Pre-calc in their junior and senior years. Probably do-able for the Valedictorian and Top Ten but dang difficult for that B/C student who also has his/her eye on attending college....

Schools.... especially the smaller schools with a small faculty.... will not be able to offer as many advanced level classes as larger schools that have larger faculties. If all three schools were joined together we would have roughly 1200 students.... we would also have 10-12 math teachers which would allow for more class offerings as well as being able to ensure that each student has the opportunity to graduate..... Take a look at the faculty of Walker Valley High School (visit the school web site).... A combined County school would be about the same size as WV.... look at the courses that are offered there versus what our SP, or MCHS, or WHS students are able to get. If you can do the comparison and not see that our students would be better off educationally with a consolidated system, then you truly must be blinded by those Friday Night Lights.........

PREACH IT BROTHER PURPLEGRAD..........PurpleGrad will be holding Sunday morning sunrise services at the MC Football field with Bill#49 leading us in song...yall join us to hear the gospel.