We are Marion County High School

Bill#49

DR. Arthur Kellerman- on the board of directors at Emory and a possible candidate for the Surgeon General during Clinton's term. John Carrol Griffith- graduated #1 in Nuclear Physics at Annapolis now a retired Admiral from the Navy.

Jim Beene- Rhode Scholar... and the list goes on and on of Dr's, Lawyers, Teachers, Engineers, businessmen and numerous others who graduated from South Pittsburg High School. If a kid wants it bad enough he can get it regardless where they go to School. I dare say these successful students parents were worried about a football game.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question..... simple answer..... President Bush's No Child Left Behind (NCLB) initiative.....

Too much Federal and State emphasis on passing three (soon to be nine) tests before you can graduate. Graduation rate required to be 100% by 1014. Schools being placed on the "LIST" if they don't meet Annual Yearly Progress (AYP). Schools losing funding if they continue to miss AYP..... YEP. MR. Bush hit a homer with this one! ..... Let's establish goals that are unreachable, force every school in the country to meet those goals by 1014, publically humiliate the schools that do not meet AYP, give those schools specific action plans to correct their problems and take away the money that they desperately need in order to begin to solve their problems.

Now... if you fail to see the connection, let me spell it out for you.... When we were in school, we didn't have to pass Math, Science and English GateWay tests in order to receive our diploma's. We simply had to attain the required number of credits. The Math GateWay is taken in conjunction with Algebra I.... the Science GateWay is given in conjunction with Biology I and the English GateWay is given in conjunction with English II or Sophomore English. Since schools AND Specific Teachers get penalized for all failures of first-time takers, most schools will have the kids go through one or more Foundations course(s) to learn the basics before taking Algebra I. This means that instead of taking Alg. I in their Freshman year, many students will have Alg I in their sophomore year. That means that they have to take Alg II, Geometry, Trig and Pre-calc in their junior and senior years. Probably do-able for the Valedictorian and Top Ten but dang difficult for that B/C student who also has his/her eye on attending college....

Schools.... especially the smaller schools with a small faculty.... will not be able to offer as many advanced level classes as larger schools that have larger faculties. If all three schools were joined together we would have roughly 1200 students.... we would also have 10-12 math teachers which would allow for more class offerings as well as being able to ensure that each student has the opportunity to graduate..... Take a look at the faculty of Walker Valley High School (visit the school web site).... A combined County school would be about the same size as WV.... look at the courses that are offered there versus what our SP, or MCHS, or WHS students are able to get. If you can do the comparison and not see that our students would be better off educationally with a consolidated system, then you truly must be blinded by those Friday Night Lights.........

Old Pirate says it sad to hear public supporters constantly put down our schools. The small privates are doing well with their education and OP has never heard them on public forums talking this garbage. Sorry, well no OP is not sorry for reacting to direction of this thread.

team69 and others have stated what OP and others have said many times.

Look in the mirror........there is the biggest problem, starts at home.

The 1 thing OP feels would benefit the county is a vocational type school for students interested in the trades. One can look around and see everyday the need for vocational skills. It all starts early with 2 parents working leaving little Betty and Johnny to day cares and pre-schools. Then the next step is kinder garden at 5 because it costs too much for day care. The rest is a slow derail of our kids graduating long before most are mature enough to even know what they want to do. Most are seniors when their 16 then off to college? Don't work for the most part.

The basic problem is inmaturity of behalf of our kids.

TEACHERS...... CONTINUE TO HERD THEM LIKE CATTLE. Who....................

is the biggest problem? The parents and teachers that hurry them out the door! The basic traditional family life is long gone. It simply costs too much to let them mature properly. OP is thankful for a dad who worked hard enough to allow mom to stay home and provide that needed mother hen type stuff. NUFF SAID>

DR. Arthur Kellerman- on the board of directors at Emory and a possible candidate for the Surgeon General during Clinton's term. John Carrol Griffith- graduated #1 in Nuclear Physics at Annapolis now a retired Admiral from the Navy.

Jim Beene- Rhode Scholar... and the list goes on and on of Dr's, Lawyers, Teachers, Engineers, businessmen and numerous others who graduated from South Pittsburg High School. If a kid wants it bad enough he can get it regardless where they go to School. I dare say these successful students parents were worried about a football game.

I agree with your statement that if a kid (and his/her parents/guardians) want it bad enough, they can succeed, regardless of what school they attend. Every school can boast of distinguished alumni. That isn't the point. I'm sure that if you looked at these highly successful individuals they had above average intelligence, a supportive home environment and an inner drive above and beyond their classmates. I would bet you a year's salary (which for me isn't very much) that there is a MUCH greater percentage of graduates from SP, or MCHS, or WHS that are not nearly as successful and the reasons are many. We aren't talking about that infinitesimally small percentage of highly intellectual students. They will succeed no matter what. We are talking about the 20% of students county wide who will drop out or fail to graduate (yes there is a difference). We are also talking about the 35% of students county wide (conservative estimate) who will graduate and attempt to go to college or trade school. We are also talking about the students who will simply graduate and enter the work force. These are the students that a consolidated school will benefit.... not the extremely bright students who will succeed regardless.

Simple question..... simple answer..... President Bush's No Child Left Behind (NCLB) initiative.....

Too much Federal and State emphasis on passing three (soon to be nine) tests before you can graduate. Graduation rate required to be 100% by 1014. Schools being placed on the "LIST" if they don't meet Annual Yearly Progress (AYP). Schools losing funding if they continue to miss AYP..... YEP. MR. Bush hit a homer with this one! ..... Let's establish goals that are unreachable, force every school in the country to meet those goals by 1014, publically humiliate the schools that do not meet AYP, give those schools specific action plans to correct their problems and take away the money that they desperately need in order to begin to solve their problems.

Now... if you fail to see the connection, let me spell it out for you.... When we were in school, we didn't have to pass Math, Science and English GateWay tests in order to receive our diploma's. We simply had to attain the required number of credits. The Math GateWay is taken in conjunction with Algebra I.... the Science GateWay is given in conjunction with Biology I and the English GateWay is given in conjunction with English II or Sophomore English. Since schools AND Specific Teachers get penalized for all failures of first-time takers, most schools will have the kids go through one or more Foundations course(s) to learn the basics before taking Algebra I. This means that instead of taking Alg. I in their Freshman year, many students will have Alg I in their sophomore year. That means that they have to take Alg II, Geometry, Trig and Pre-calc in their junior and senior years. Probably do-able for the Valedictorian and Top Ten but dang difficult for that B/C student who also has his/her eye on attending college....

Schools.... especially the smaller schools with a small faculty.... will not be able to offer as many advanced level classes as larger schools that have larger faculties. If all three schools were joined together we would have roughly 1200 students.... we would also have 10-12 math teachers which would allow for more class offerings as well as being able to ensure that each student has the opportunity to graduate..... Take a look at the faculty of Walker Valley High School (visit the school web site).... A combined County school would be about the same size as WV.... look at the courses that are offered there versus what our SP, or MCHS, or WHS students are able to get. If you can do the comparison and not see that our students would be better off educationally with a consolidated system, then you truly must be blinded by those Friday Night Lights.........

Purplegrad is absolutely correct about NCLB. But the legislation hits elementary and middle schools just as hard. Since the Terra Nova is now criterion referenced instead of norm referenced there is no need to push students beyond the mandated curriculum. Instead, you just teach the items(SPI's) that will be on the test and nothing else. These items are taught, retaught, reviewed, and then rereviewed before they are taught again and then again. It is as if the Feds are more interested in making sure that teachers are teaching what is mandated than teaching what is best for the students. Oh, critical thinking, well lets just say that it is not mandated by the Federal Government. Things that make you go Huuuummmm! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Walker Valley High School CLASS OFFERINGS

Marion County High School CLASS OFFERINGS

South Pittsburg High School CLASS OFFERINGS

I cannot get Whitwell High School Website to come up.

Look at the differences between Walker Valley, Marion, and South Pittsburg's class offerings - AMAZING!!

PREACH IT BROTHER PURPLEGRAD..........PurpleGrad will be holding Sunday morning sunrise services at the MC Football field with Bill#49 leading us in song...yall join us to hear the gospel.

I'll see if I can't bring my bucket so I can hold a tune. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Old Pirate says it sad to hear public supporters constantly put down our schools. The small privates are doing well with their education and OP has never heard them on public forums talking this garbage. Sorry, well no OP is not sorry for reacting to direction of this thread.

team69 and others have stated what OP and others have said many times.

Look in the mirror........there is the biggest problem, starts at home.

The 1 thing OP feels would benefit the county is a vocational type school for students interested in the trades. One can look around and see everyday the need for vocational skills. It all starts early with 2 parents working leaving little Betty and Johnny to day cares and pre-schools. Then the next step is kinder garden at 5 because it costs too much for day care. The rest is a slow derail of our kids graduating long before most are mature enough to even know what they want to do. Most are seniors when their 16 then off to college? Don't work for the most part.

The basic problem is inmaturity of behalf of our kids.

TEACHERS...... CONTINUE TO HERD THEM LIKE CATTLE. Who....................

is the biggest problem? The parents and teachers that hurry them out the door! The basic traditional family life is long gone. It simply costs too much to let them mature properly. NUFF SAID>

Do you honestly think that teachers want to hurry them out the door? If your answer is yes you are way off the mark. Federal and State laws, passed by politicians that have never taught school, dictate age appropriateness for students in elementary, middle/Jr high and high school.

I whole-heartedly agree with your statement that it all starts at home. Parental involvment in the development and education of children is vital. Unfortunately, societal values today have eroded away from what they were when our parents were raising us. Many young parents today don't have the parenting skills or social infrastructure to effectively raise children. What generally happens is that far too many children are dropped off at schools so that the teachers can "raise" them. Many times it seems that schools are nothing more than free daycare for some parents and the only time they darken the school doors is when little johnny or little betty gets into trouble. But, instead of coming to find out what happened...they come to jump on the teachers and administration. Not at all like my parents..... if I got into trouble at school I knew it was going to be worse when I got home.....

I've never said our schools are bad because I believe that all three do very good with what they have to offer. What I have said, if you would open you mind enough to pay attention, is that what is BEST for our county is a consolidated school due to the fact that we could offer so much more to our students. You don't hear the privates complaining because they have the funding available to offer the extra classes for their students. Those parents are willing to make sacrifices to enrich the education of their students. I'm not a private school supporter at all. It's easy to have what the privates have when you can select who attends there. It's not an even playing field from the word go.

As I said before.... consolidation will never happen in my life-time because of closed minds resulting from football rivalries. The only ones hurting are our students.

Look at the differences between Walker Valley, Marion, and South Pittsburg's class offerings - AMAZING!!

WOW! Who would have ever guessed that? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Hey OP...... your point about a Vocational School in the county...... Take a look at what Walker Valley offers as Vocational classes..... it's under the Career and Technology section...... Pretty impressive huh?

Even this is not enough to dim the blinding Friday Night Lights........

As we all know we are fighting a loosing battle when you talk to OP. He knows it all and is always right, just read all his post from all the boards. It is hard to comprehend how someone/anyone can not see how 1 school is much better than 3.....hands down education wise and financially. It will never happen until the Old folks get over the brightness of the lights, or die off. But in all respect it is not up to us, the community, it is up the our School Board and if they want to consolidate then by george we will consolidate. If SP doesn't like it then let them become a city school and be on their mary way. They have a new facility so when the school falls in around them at least they will have a nice warm place to have classes or let Lodge and the Cornbread Festival build them another school.

Every school in the country has had doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, etc. etc. graduate from their respective halls of learning. What we are trying to say, I know I am, is with No Child Left Behind (NCLB) the average kids are going to get left in the dust. If they can't keep up they are not the only ones that suffer. The entire administration Central Office and Schools, teachers, and school will be penalized for it.

I will give you an example, Marion County High School is the only high school in the county that has a CDC class. The kids in that class have to pass the gateway and all these NCLB test to graduate. If they do not pass them they receive a special education diploma. Guess what? This counts against the school's graduation rate as a failure for not receiving a regular diploma like your average kid in school. Do you think that a CDC kid can pass a test like this? Do you think it is the teacher's fault for not teaching that kid enough to pass a test that is on 10th grade level? I love and joke around with the CDC kids at school every time I see them out in the hall. No way in the world could they pass that test but it is counted against Marion County High School's graduation rate!!

Another example, a kid leaves Marion County High School and goes to the Adult High School at Marion County Academy. That kid graduates with a regular diploma from Marion County Academy. That kid is counted AGAINST Marion County High School's graduation rate!! Explain that one, I can't!!

Correct me PurpleGrad if I am wrong on any of this stuff.

Whow...I think I will enroll at WV...that is amazing!!! Sure wish we had classes like that around here.

Every school in the country has had doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, etc. etc. graduate from their respective halls of learning. What we are trying to say, I know I am, is with No Child Left Behind (NCLB) the average kids are going to get left in the dust. If they can't keep up they are not the only ones that suffer. The entire administration Central Office and Schools, teachers, and school will be penalized for it.

I will give you an example, Marion County High School is the only high school in the county that has a CDC class. The kids in that class have to pass the gateway and all these NCLB test to graduate. If they do not pass them they receive a special education diploma. Guess what? This counts against the school's graduation rate as a failure for not receiving a regular diploma like your average kid in school. Do you think that a CDC kid can pass a test like this? Do you think it is the teacher's fault for not teaching that kid enough to pass a test that is on 10th grade level? I love and joke around with the CDC kids at school every time I see them out in the hall. No way in the world could they pass that test but it is counted against Marion County High School's graduation rate!!

Another example, a kid leaves Marion County High School and goes to the Adult High School at Marion County Academy. That kid graduates with a regular diploma from Marion County Academy. That kid is counted AGAINST Marion County High School's graduation rate!! Explain that one, I can't!!

Correct me PurpleGrad if I am wrong on any of this stuff.

The NCLB is a bunch of crap....thanks for something else to deal with George. Why is MC the only school with CDC classes?