Public Schools Domination of Softball?

Chapel Hill's Forrest Lady Rockets defeated Trinity to win the class A state title. Evidently they didn't hear that private schools are superior. Will this begin a reign of terror by public schools in Tennessee in class A softball? Forrest has been very good for quite a few years -- at least ten! I hear the Renfro girls are transferring to Middleton in anticipation of this upheaval.

Seriously, does this win destroy the myth that public schools can't compete with private schools in class A softball? Nobody told Forrest they couldn't win!

Chapel Hill's Forrest Lady Rockets defeated Trinity to win the class A state title. Evidently they didn't hear that private schools are superior. Will this begin a reign of terror by public schools in Tennessee in class A softball? Forrest has been very good for quite a few years -- at least ten! I hear the Renfro girls are transferring to Middleton in anticipation of this upheaval.

Seriously, does this win destroy the myth that public schools can't compete with private schools in class A softball? Nobody told Forrest they couldn't win!

Oh steve, don't throw facts at the poor folks! They don't understand them. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

First win by a public school in 27 years. 27 YEARS! Forrest had only one senior this year and may win again next year. Then it could be another 27 years. But you are right about one thing. This year FORREST is state champs. Hurts, doesn't it. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Are you really suggesting that private school domination of single A softball has ended now that a public school has won a state title for the first time in 27 YEARS! Let's see, privates 27 - publics 1. Get real. You might be able to come back here & try to float that idea if publics win single A for the next 5-7 years but not now. You guys have never wanted to go to school with us, so don't take it personal if we don't want to play ball with you. Although I will admit it was fun watching Forrest dominate a private school for a change. Thanks Forrest for making all of us public school alums. feel better for a little while!

First win by a public school in 27 years. 27 YEARS! Forrest has a junior pitcher who has verballed to pitch for UT. Forrest may win again next year, with her pitching. Then it could be another 27 years. But you are right about one thing. This year FORREST is state champs. Hurts, doesn't it. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Forrest does not have a Jr. pitcher, Shelby Stinnett is a sophmore and has not committed to anyone. You must be thinking of Trinity who has the Renfroe girls who have committed to UT. Infact, Karen and Ralph Wheatly were there Fri. nite to see Forrest pound out a 10-4 win. The win today is special for everyone who has worked so hard to become one of the best public schools out there. We have come close several times and have been put out by privates each time. However, hard work, determination, playing physical and taking on any school that wants to play, builds the kind of character that will carry you thru tough games. Today, all that hard work was rewarded.

Forrest does not have a Jr. pitcher, Shelby Stinnett is a sophmore and has not committed to anyone. You must be thinking of Trinity who has the Renfroe girls who have committed to UT. Infact, Karen and Ralph Wheatly were there Fri. nite to see Forrest pound out a 10-4 win. The win today is special for everyone who has worked so hard to become one of the best public schools out there. We have come close several times and have been put out by privates each time. However, hard work, determination, playing physical and taking on any school that wants to play, builds the kind of character that will carry you thru tough games. Today, all that hard work was rewarded.

Now could you please tell the rest of the public schools that hard work, determination, play physical and taking on all any school that wants to play really does pay off in any sport!! Darn the secret is out!

We get it now, these public teams that have lost in the state for the last two decades (and all the other public schools in nearly every sport who lose at unusually high percentage to privates), do so because they don't work hard enough and aren't determined enough. It has nothing to do with which teams can put more good players on the field and which teams have more of their players performing well against the pressure. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

In no way were my statements meant to insinuate that other schools haven't or don't work hard. Forrest went into the off season knowing what they had to do and who they had to beat. They went out, hit the weights harder, worked on improving the offence and defence, and won a Single A State Title. Way to go Lady Rockets, Coaches, Moms, Dads and supporters of Forrest softball.

Privates should all be in either two categories, D1 or D2, there is no gray area. The problem is though, they are in "A", and "AA", and it will likely not to change for quite some time if ever, given the gray area that is TSSAA. When you know that going in, when you know the hand your delt, you learn to play better poker, you learn to better use the cards you have.

Can Forrest repeat? Maybe! But if they don't, I promise they will adjust and work to get there the following year and the year after and so on. Forrest's win in 2008 in no way makes up for the huge deficit in public school wins.

But it sure feels good getting this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First win by a public school in 27 years. 27 YEARS! Forrest had only one senior this year and may win again next year. Then it could be another 27 years. But you are right about one thing. This year FORREST is state champs. Hurts, doesn't it.

Doesn't hurt me. I'm very happy for Forrest and their supporters. They deserve the victory and kudos.

Obviously my remarks about this being the turning point of domination by private schools were tongue-in-cheek; however, the comments offered by some posters are very telling. It seems some believe that the "hard work=success" theory espoused here often in the past is true! At least Forrest believes it! Is that to imply that Trinity (or the other six teams at the state tourney) did not work hard?

We get it now, these public teams that have lost in the state for the last two decades (and all the other public schools in nearly every sport who lose at unusually high percentage to privates), do so because they don't work hard enough and aren't determined enough. It has nothing to do with which teams can put more good players on the field and which teams have more of their players performing well against the pressure.

What about the public school's history of domination of girls' basketball? Did the private schools not work hard enough or show enough determination?

It's Ralph and Karen Weekly, co-coaches of the UT Lady Vols softball team.

BTW, how do you "play physical" in softball? Just wondering. Us private school supporters want to know the secrets!