Rocky Top League

sportsnut624

I've noticed in the paper that some high school players are playing in the Rocky Top League with many college and former college players. I know that Mcbee from grangier co and i think Steele and Gallman from fulton are playing and putting up decent numbers. I was just curious to see if anyone has seen them playing in the league in person and how they looked to you?

I'm actually one of the coaches in the Rocky Top league. McBee is looking great. He's averaging 17 points after 2 games. I think he hit 4 3s the first night in a loss. I'm kind of biased since I've coached him in AAU. Gallman has looked ok but is undersized and physically overmatched against alot of the older guards. Steele didn't do much the first game but played much better in the second game. He was going up against several stud athletes against my team. Gallman and Steele need to be living in the weight room as much as possible. McBee is probably a little tougher and stronger probably from his time with the football team. Try to come watch it's great basketball.

Do others agree that "Sunshine" Logan Johnson (former South Doyle high school player) is playing really well in Rocky Top games? He seems to be playing very strong fundamental team basketball compared to some of the "name players" that tend to get a lot more press. His basketball IQ seems really high and he is a good shooter with enough quickness, energy and hops to compete at a pretty high level.

I'm actually one of the coaches in the Rocky Top league. McBee is looking great. He's averaging 17 points after 2 games. I think he hit 4 3s the first night in a loss. I'm kind of biased since I've coached him in AAU. Gallman has looked ok but is undersized and physically overmatched against alot of the older guards. Steele didn't do much the first game but played much better in the second game. He was going up against several stud athletes against my team. Gallman and Steele need to be living in the weight room as much as possible. McBee is probably a little tougher and stronger probably from his time with the football team. Try to come watch it's great basketball.

Im glad to hear that they are playing against this type of competition and doing farely decent against it. I think this will help all three get exposure and some experience to see what they need to work on to prepare for the next level. I went to a ton of games last year for the league and it is some of the most entertaining basketball I have watched. Great fun!

Im glad to hear that they are playing against this type of competition and doing farely decent against it. I think this will help all three get exposure and some experience to see what they need to work on to prepare for the next level. I went to a ton of games last year for the league and it is some of the most entertaining basketball I have watched. Great fun!

From an exposure standpoint, they are getting far more on the AAU circuit. Mc Bee is playing for the Ballerz and Steele and Gallman are playing for the Tennessee Travelers. College coaches are getting their looks at these guys at the big time tourneys. Steele scored 36 against Athletes First a few weeks ago and they are one of the top teams in the country loaded with big time prospects like Xavier Henry. They look like boys playing against men. Damon Johnson has been playing professionaly almost as long as they been born.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an exciting league.. Please look at finding a BIGGER gym.. If you're wanting to host it at an area high school look into Austin East, its sits more then Bearden...

THANKS!!

They should really move it to Alcoa. That gym is huge. I also think a neat place would be to hold it in Stokely. It probably isn't practical there because of Volleyball and other indoor sports, but it would still be a neat place for it imo

They should really move it to Alcoa. That gym is huge. I also think a neat place would be to hold it in Stokely. It probably isn't practical there because of Volleyball and other indoor sports, but it would still be a neat place for it imo

I agree that Alcoa would be a good idea, really anywhere that is big...and has AIR CONDITIONING. I have gone for the past two years and there hasn't been and AC. I don't really mind cause i get to watch some good basketball, but it would be nice /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Former/Current Tennessee Travelers in the league:

Logan Johnson (South-Doyle/Coastal Carolina)

Tony White, Jr. (Bearden/College of Charleston)

Terrance Oglesby (Bradley Central/Clemson)

Cameron Sharp (Halls/Carson-Newman)

Ryan Walden (Catholic/Milligan)

Jalen Steele (Fulton)

James Gallman (Fulton)

As for Stokely being a possible site, I believe it is schedule to be demolished in a year or two. Bearden is ideal primarily because it allows the players from Johnson City and Chattanooga easy access off I-40.