District 13AA

GCPioneer

To say Dyersburg has the slight edge in preparing and coaching over Milan is not a good way to put that after what Milan came off of last year. Dyersburg didn't make any noise last year in 13AA better yet the state tournaments. If you were going to decide the 4 spot on coaching and preparing, I'd have to give that to Coach Volbert and Milan as they did go to the state championship last year and have been competing in 13AA over the past years.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nwtnsports

I'd say ONE of the best, too. We are really competitive in the regular-season through region and, sometimes, sub-state. If you want to look at success in the state tournament, though, our teams have stumbled a bit - Westview in '96 and '03, Milan in '08 and Dyersburg in '05 (Class AAA) are the teams that played for a state championship in the past 20 years.

It's early, but I'll say that two teams from this district make it to state. The top three, IMO - Gibson Co., Obion Central and Westview - are going to be very talented.

Here's my report on Milan.

Graduating seniors: Chantel Poston (18 ppg, Purdue); Shaniqua Gray (18 ppg, Vol State)

Returning starters: Perica Glenn (6' Jr. C, 10 ppg); Dequashia Simpson (5'11" Sr. F, 7 ppg); Julianne Joyner (5'4 Sr. G, 5 ppg)

Additional returning key players: Sarah Hamm (5'8" Sr. G, 6 ppg); Ashley Caldwell (5'8" Jr. F); Crystal Bledsoe (5'2" Jr. G)

Positives:

Defense. Glenn is a force inside. Simpson is consistent, dependable. She plays hard - my pick for "unsung hero" on last season's team. Joyner is aggressive.

Experience. Each of the returning Lady Bulldogs played in the '08 state tournament. Three-pointers from Joyner and Hamm really pushed past Upperman in the semifinals. All-tournament pick Glenn played really well at state; great game holding 6'3" Karissa Dyer from Upperman to four points. Simpson was there, with tough play and rebounding. Then, the younger players got in against Creek Wood and Upperman.

Leadership. Coach Volbert might have had his doubters, after losing in the regionals four consecutive years. But, he's seen this program turn around - from 5-21 his first season in '02-'03 to a school-record 29 wins, first trip to state since '81 and district championship in '08. There will be four seniors on the roster, too.

Concerns:

It's a new season. Gone are two of the most talented Lady Bulldogs in recent years. Gray's speed, ball handling and floor vision. Poston's jump shot, defense and passion. The challenge for this season's team is to pick up where they left off last year - being competitive in the district and having a successful season.

Guard play. It was obvious that when Gray was out of the game, Milan had lots of trouble getting the ball up the court (e.g. the region championship). They must have a strong point guard, because we know they'll see the full-court press.

Outside shooting. Same for the past few years, Milan can score in the paint or hit the jumper. But, they need a consistent three-point threat for balance. Talent is there - Joyner, Hamm and a couple of the younger guards - but they need to hit shots every game.

It should be an exciting season in 13AA. Not sure the Lady 'Dogs have enough to get in the top three - they might be good for an upset, though. Maybe they can play for that fourth spot and make it again to the post-season.

This will be another good year of 13AA basketball. It'll be competitive once again. Milan will be down but they do return quite a few. I shouldn't of had them so low in my 1-7. They'll compete but I don't think they'll compete with the top 3. They will finish at 4 and make it to regions though. Basketball season is TOOO far away!

Guest nwtnsports

nwtn..Nice report on Milan. Good luck on your season!

Thanks very much!

GC, you're right on. Milan will be down - but it's hard not to when you lose two players like Gray and Poston. I'm sure the returning players, though, will work hard and give it their best. Maybe your prediction will be right.

It's too early to say, but Upperman and Marshall Co. are two of my picks to be back at state.

The season can get rather crazy, though. If someone had told me after Westview beat Milan in early January - for the Lady Bulldogs' third straight loss - that they would play for a state title, I would not have believed them. It might be the same way this season, where one of the top three can beat or be beaten by the other two.

Hope the summer is going well for 13AA teams and players!

Thanks very much!

GC, you're right on. Milan will be down - but it's hard not to when you lose two players like Gray and Poston. I'm sure the returning players, though, will work hard and give it their best. Maybe your prediction will be right.

It's too early to say, but Upperman and Marshall Co. are two of my picks to be back at state.

The season can get rather crazy, though. If someone had told me after Westview beat Milan in early January - for the Lady Bulldogs' third straight loss - that they would play for a state title, I would not have believed them. It might be the same way this season, where one of the top three can beat or be beaten by the other two.

Hope the summer is going well for 13AA teams and players!

I think we'll be playing for a state championship this year /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> You can bet on it /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From what i have heard that happened in 13AA today i would say that GC is the odds on favorite to win the state this year in AA. I think they will play Upperman for the title though...

You certainly can blow smoke about these other teams and this poster is sure they are good BUT anyone there that beats Obion will do it only if there are injuries or some other quirk that will happen. That team is good, consistant, and the coach knows how to pull the strings for results. Realistically this poster only has seen Obion but the way they blew thru the best in Shelbyville was impressive. They did show a maturity of a champion but so has Upperman and some other schools. This will be a horse race down to the end.

You certainly can blow smoke about these other teams and this poster is sure they are good BUT anyone there that beats Obion will do it only if there are injuries or some other quirk that will happen. That team is good, consistant, and the coach knows how to pull the strings for results. Realistically this poster only has seen Obion but the way they blew thru the best in Shelbyville was impressive. They did show a maturity of a champion but so has Upperman and some other schools. This will be a horse race down to the end.

LOL, we'll see... ONLY TIME WILL TELL!!!!! getcha popcorn ready /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />