REGION 4-5A

hitstick

is this region to tough? do you think that the teams that come in 5th and 6th in this region could come in 1st in other regions? i mean yea, the competition in this region is by far the best and anybody could beat anybody at any time in this region. but is it really fair to the kids to know that they are good enough to make the playoffs and maybe even go deep into the playoffs but they dont even get a chance. so what do yall think could be done, if anything?

is this region to tough? do you think that the teams that come in 5th and 6th in this region could come in 1st in other regions? i mean yea, the competition in this region is by far the best and anybody could beat anybody at any time in this region. but is it really fair to the kids to know that they are good enough to make the playoffs and maybe even go deep into the playoffs but they dont even get a chance. so what do yall think could be done, if anything?

About the best answer would be the old pre-playoff bowl game set-up..................last year probably every team in 4-5A with a .500 record or better would have gone to a bowl.

It all runs in cycles, I can remember when the play-offs first started..............East Tn dominated for a long period; then it shifted to Middle Tn, but it is all cyclic!!

When play-offs first begin, there was only 8 teams....................all selected by a points system.

Then we went to only district/region winners going.................some very strong 2nd place teams stayed home.

The next progression was sending 1-2 place winners...............pretty tough games in all rounds.

AND.............a big AND this was in just (3) classes.

Now we have (4) teams from each region.............4-5A could have sent at least 6 last year and they would have been better than a lot of teams that made it

Here is a test:

Last year had MBA, Smyrna, and Maryville in top 3 classes as State Champs.....................lets take a trip back to the old 3 classification days........... NOW PICK ONE! There would have only been (1) State Champ back in those days.

Right now, coming out of the WEST seems to be easier (it is probably cyclic though)..............case in point, Independence was in the State Finals last year; they would have had trouble even making the playoffs from 4-5A and then have to play all the same teams again to make it past the 3rd round....................but they are State Finalist. good for them!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

IMO

nothing should be done about it at all. thats life. We dont need a no child left behind approach to high school football. It is not the end of the world to these kids if they dont make the playoffs. Look at the two worst teams in the region, Siegel, and Blackman

Siegel sent two kids Montorri Hughes (UT), and Caleb Harper( Northwestern) and

Blackman sent two kids Adam Smith( WKU) and Mauricio Wallace (TTU)

Im sure these kids are not losing sleep about not making it to the playoffs. Sometime failing in an aspect of life will make one stronger. That is the Beauty of this region the teams at the bottom feel like they have a shot at Beating the teams at the top on any given Friday.

nothing should be done about it at all. thats life. We dont need a no child left behind approach to high school football. It is not the end of the world to these kids if they dont make the playoffs. Look at the two worst teams in the region, Siegel, and Blackman

Siegel sent two kids Montorri Hughes (UT), and Caleb Harper( Northwestern) and

Blackman sent two kids Adam Smith( WKU) and Mauricio Wallace (TTU)

Im sure these kids are not losing sleep about not making it to the playoffs. Sometime failing in an aspect of life will make one stronger. That is the Beauty of this region the teams at the bottom feel like they have a shot at Beating the teams at the top on any given Friday.

Couldnt agree with you more. Its unfortunate for the teams on the outside looking in, but I think only having 4 get in adds the emphasis of all the region games in the regular season, and really all the games in general.

the bad part about district if some of you remeber only the district champs advance until 87 then the top 2 teams advance so if that format had been in place then smyrna would have never won state either time and there are a few other teams in that same boat...i like the region i do not like playing each other in the second and third round of the playoffs but i understand saving the travel...and playing our region the second time the past 2 years has not been very good to us in one year we beat smyrna 49-0 in regular season then lose 9-7 in playoffs....this year we drilled WC wasnt even close then this time when we played them we get DRILLED in the playoffs so 2 teams have gotten their first EVER WIN against RIVERDALE in the playoffs the second time we played them but as far as who gets in you win your in you lose your out if you got a GREAT team like some of the RIVERDALE teams in the past or the Lincoln Countys other teams have a chance to move on

I always liked the old District 7 format where only the top two teams went to the playoffs. It made every game count and you had to up your game to stay in the race. Of course when we had the old district format in 7, OHS was always either the champs or runner-up.

Did Oakland even go to the playoffs in the 90's as a 7AAA representative?

90 Champion Lebanon and Runner-up Oakland???

91 Champion Riverdale and Runner-up Lebanon

92 Champion Riverdale and Runner-up Lebanon

93 Region play begins

Did Oakland even go to the playoffs in the 90's as a 7AAA representative?

90 Champion Lebanon and Runner-up Oakland???

91 Champion Riverdale and Runner-up Lebanon

92 Champion Riverdale and Runner-up Lebanon

93 Region play begins

Best I can remember Oakland did finish 2nd in 90, the post Clinic Bowl years. Lebanon beat Oakland that year 14 - 0 in week 8 at MTSU. This would have been one of Rankin's first years at Riverdale, possibly finishing 4-6 that year.