West TN basketball for 2008-09

coachgat

I asked Kevin about the Ridgeway sub-state game, lol... First thing he said was we were going to win that game. He also said he remembered who you were.

I figured he would know who I was. I stopped by and said hello at the State Tournament this year. He is a GREAT Coach who really genuinely cares about his players. The things that he teaches his team translate to the real world and help them in their life beyond the game of basketball. Once he completely implements his system there at GC, I am confident that you will starting hanging state championship banners there at Gibson County.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew I could count on Duda for opinions and expert observations about West Tennessee. It will be interesting to see how things pan out. By the way, what is perennial powerhouse Northside doing to reload? They lost all their big guns last year.

All I will say about that subject is the following:

If Memphis Northside does anything substantial in post season it will be solely based of master mind coaching because Donald Holmes has lost just about everyone. He has a couple of returning players that have seen time but are nowhere near the talent level he has had over the past 3 years. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You know, Donald Holmes may not even be coaching this year. I saw in the newspaper that he is being promoted to Assistant Athletic Director for Memphis City Schools. I don't know if he'll also be coaching. Climbing that career ladder--good for him.

BTW, I still disagree about Houston. They got pretty far last year with the one-woman show and supporting cast!

What do you know about Southwind? I have heard that they have some talented athletes ready to play ball, but I don't know anything else about them. Everyone in district 15AAA will now have 1 more team to play in district play since Southwind I believe has been added this year.

I also think Arlington will be much better this year, although I don't think they'll be able to hang with you guys at Bartlett or with Millington.

BTW, how is Lauren Croom? Will she be back in the lineup at Bartlett this season? I know you all missed her last year. She's got good height and a nice jumpshot.

It's always fun to try to predict what will happen, but of course many unexpected things will happen between now and the end of the season.

You know, Donald Holmes may not even be coaching this year. I saw in the newspaper that he is being promoted to Assistant Athletic Director for Memphis City Schools. I don't know if he'll also be coaching. Climbing that career ladder--good for him.

BTW, I still disagree about Houston. They got pretty far last year with the one-woman show and supporting cast!

What do you know about Southwind? I have heard that they have some talented athletes ready to play ball, but I don't know anything else about them. Everyone in district 15AAA will now have 1 more team to play in district play since Southwind I believe has been added this year.

I also think Arlington will be much better this year, although I don't think they'll be able to hang with you guys at Bartlett or with Millington.

BTW, how is Lauren Croom? Will she be back in the lineup at Bartlett this season? I know you all missed her last year. She's got good height and a nice jumpshot.

It's always fun to try to predict what will happen, but of course many unexpected things will happen between now and the end of the season.

People might watch out for Southwind. They have a solid team, and I understand they added a soph. transfer guard for Lakeland, FL. that is really good. Not sure who the new coach is there.

I am going to be out of the loop before long in Memphis basketball and someone else is going to have to feed this high level inside info.

People might watch out for Southwind. They have a solid team, and I understand they added a soph. transfer guard for Lakeland, FL. that is really good. Not sure who the new coach is there.

I am going to be out of the loop before long in Memphis basketball and someone else is going to have to feed this high level inside info.

Best of Luck, Look back in on this site.

Southwind:

I will say this in regards to Southwind High School: As quick as they hit the jackpot at the end of the rainbow the clouds moved back in and the rainbow disappeared.

No doubt in my mind: By far the up and coming new coach of West TN had arrived this past year when Ms Surina Dixon joined the Southwind High School athletic program as head coach. (Bio: University of Maryland Eastern Shores – Head Coach / Arkansas State – Assistant Coach / Texas Southern University – Assistant Coach)

I only watched her coach, teach, instruct and tutor players on 3 occasions but it was overwhelmingly evident that she knew what she was doing. Her new team was conditioned, controlled, court-savvy and athletic with nothing but upside and it was obvious she knew what buttons to push and when. In just under 8 months on the job: it was apparent that she was demanding basketball excellence and putting the time in the gym for team practice and pushing individual skill workouts. Ms Dixon and her husband would have been a great great addition to the West TN coaching ranks.

Yeah that’s right….. would have been…. “she is gone”….. After one year she took another college coaching job in Texas and is gone! (I believe Texas A&M)

Southwind does still possess athletes but limited size. The have a multitude of guards and wing players but “extremely” reduced capacity at the post. Hopefully they will have some incoming help and a new coach that has the fire and knowledge to place these young ladies in contention to be competitive over the next couple of seasons.

The players I like on this team are Erica Turner and Erin Taylor (little sister of Paige Taylor out of Houston High). Both players have nice size and raw skill set with a lot of upside. Based on the size of the entire team: Erica Turner may have to move from the wing to the 4 spot to provide some low block presence. Also Courtney Boyce could have a break out season at the point/shooting guard position. Including her playing days at Cordova High – Courtney probably has the most high school experience then anyone else on the team.

Look for this brand new school & program to suffer some growing pains early as they attempt to integrate a new coach and playing system into the fire of AAA basketball.

Arlington: (Could be a darkhorse or problematic middle of the pack team in district 14AAA)

Word is they lost lefty Taylor Pugh to a transfer or move (speculation Briarcrest). If this is true it will be devastating to Arilington because Pugh by far was their best player defensively and offensively (rising Sophmore). Arlington adds Jr High ballers in Christyn Hooper and Ariel (Last Name). These two were impact players in Jr. High but are both stepping into one of the toughest districts of 08-09 in 14AAA. If Pugh is still there then look for this team to push for 4th in the district behind Bolton but cause everyone problems.

Roster: Camille- solid 6’0” post, Pugh- 6’0” scoring wing, Hooper- adds shooting at the two, Ariel- is a very capable point guard that can score as well as handle the pressure and Hannah N – can knock down the open jumper.

However: If Pugh is gone????? Look for this team to finish in the bottom 2 or 3 with REygpt once again…..

Croom:

Don't know about Croom but it would be nice to have a 6'0" shooting wing back in the lineup. The main thing is for her to just get back healthy so she can enjoy her senior school year and sports are secondary.

Sorry to hear that but glad for you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

DU

Know anything about the transfer from Lakeland, FL. Did another school steal her from Southwind when they spent 4 months to find a coach. Who got the job?

I will keep a watch on things from Missouri. I might even be back down in the 09-10 season. We are hoping to be playing in a holiday tourney in Shelby Co.

DU

Know anything about the transfer from Lakeland, FL. Did another school steal her from Southwind when they spent 4 months to find a coach. Who got the job?

I will keep a watch on things from Missouri. I might even be back down in the 09-10 season. We are hoping to be playing in a holiday tourney in Shelby Co.

Hey Westtnballer, sorry to hear that you are leaving but congrats on the move. Millington will be in Missouri this year December 20th at the Holiday Hoopfest to play the number 3 team in the state. I think it's going to be in Perryville, Missouri, if I'm not mistaken, I don't have my papers in front of me. Hopefully you could come support us up there if you don't have a game that day.

DuDa did you all have to go out of state to fill your schedule? I know you all had some teams to drop. I'm not going to say that they didn't want that automatic loss, I'm not going to say that. hehehe.

Hey Westtnballer, sorry to hear that you are leaving but congrats on the move. Millington will be in Missouri this year December 20th at the Holiday Hoopfest to play the number 3 team in the state. I think it's going to be in Perryville, Missouri, if I'm not mistaken, I don't have my papers in front of me. Hopefully you could come support us up there if you don't have a game that day.

DuDa did you all have to go out of state to fill your schedule? I know you all had some teams to drop. I'm not going to say that they didn't want that automatic loss, I'm not going to say that. hehehe.

I would love to be able to, but we have games that Thursday and Friday on the road, plus our school is hosting a girls JV tourney that ends that Sat. Otherwise, I would venture down, cause that would only be an 1 1/2 hr drive. What is the name of the school you are playing?

CoachG....

I don’t know all the logistics of the schedule but I do know BHS is venturing over into Arkansas and traveling up to Kentucky as well as LaVergne, TN. I think several of the regular opponents opted out of playing us this up coming year.

(Don’t know about an automatic loss?????? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> )

I would love to be able to, but we have games that Thursday and Friday on the road, plus our school is hosting a girls JV tourney that ends that Sat. Otherwise, I would venture down, cause that would only be an 1 1/2 hr drive. What is the name of the school you are playing?

We are playing Mcluer-South Berkley. They finished 3rd in their state tournament. They lost in the semi's to the state champion and then won in their next game to finish 3rd. I like the way they have their tourney set up. After the semifinals the teams that lose still play to see who is 3rd or 4th in the tournament... like a regular tournament.