West TN basketball for 2008-09

coachgat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAA - will be Bolton and Millington of course. coachgat, don't be surprised to see that Millington team bringing home some gold this year, lol.

AA - All 3 teams reign from 13AA. Westview, Obion, and Gibson will all be competing for those 2 state tournament bids. Only 2 can go!

A - Bradford seems to be the cream of the crop here in West TN. Don't forget about Gleason though. They could make another run at the 'boro! Also, a team you might want to watch for is Morgan Faulkner and Madison Academic. Morgan is good enough on her own to take that team pretty far and with some help they might go a ways!

Lake County will surprise some next year.....Look for them to be a possible team to beat in the next few years after that.....With the addition of TT Flowers, Carnation Hart this winter and the addition of Shamon Pearson next winter LC could enjoy several strong years! Also, there are 4 other strong freshmen to go with TT and Carnation this year!

sbl

How about the teams inside of Memphis in AAA and Div II teams/

The Top Teams in AAA within Memphis. (In my opinion) are......

1. Millington

2. Bartlett

3. Central

4. White Station

5. East/Northside/Overton/Bolton

Look out for Cordova as well. They have had very good younger talent the last few years. If that talent has matured... they could be very good.

I hope that I am not leaving anybody out.... It's early in the morning....

Where is DuDa? I know he knows what's what in Memphis!

Well well well….. I leave the website for a few months to take a slight hiatus and rejuvenate from the Bartlett Lady Panthers “early” state tournament exit to come back and find that the West TN jocking for pre-season “powerhouse” status has already gotten underway. What little respect you posters continue to give my beloved Bartlett Lady Panthers (shame on all of you – LOL - /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

This is no easy answer thread - sooooo - allow me to answer in a two part segment. PART I - Top two teams in West TN area. PART II Other top contenders and teams looking to re-establish their dominance.

This is no easy answer thread - sooooo - allow me to answer in a two part segment. PART I - Top two teams in West TN area. PART II Other top contenders and teams looking to re-establish their dominance.

PART I - Top Two AAA Teams In West TN

I have to agree with RobM: The top two preseason favorites would have to be the two state tournament participants that represented West TN (who both happen to be out of District 14AAA) Millington and Bartlett (and by the way: technically speaking – neither of them are actually located in Memphis – no disrespect to the great ball players of Memphis)

My reasoning is quite simple: Both teams return their entire starting line ups (period).

Millington – lost two seniors that played a minimal role but return ALL of their starting lineup from a state finalists team. Ashley Robinson (U of M commit) – has versatility at the center spot with her ability to step outside and put some heat on any post player. LaTessa M – provides the long range bomb and is a great secondary ball handler. Jasmine Newsom – is the primary ball handler and she doesn’t give it up often and is money from the freethrow line. Olivia Maddox – is the purest athlete on the team and can jump out the gym as well as nail the midrange pull up jumper off the bounce going to the right. Tamarah Brandon (lefty) rounds out the starting five and is the ideal role player.

Newcomer(s): Millington may not have much incoming help from the Jr High ranks based on what I witnessed this past middle school season. However, being a military town, who knows what players may have moved in???

Bartlett – lost NO ONE from a quarter final state tournament team. Jasmine James – is easily the most explosive scorer in the state (and top in the nation) and will have her Bartlett Lady Panthers looking beyond a quarter final appearance in the state tournament. JJ can give it to the opponent any way they want it – from deep or off the bounce all night long – pick your poison. Jemil Jefferson – is one of the most conditioned / chiseled athletes in AAA basketball and has worked all summer to refine her entire game. She can defend spots 1-4 from baseline to baseline and cause match up problems for the opponents off the bounce. Briana Walker – locks down the middle for BHS and uses her excellent footwork and pure upper body strength to defend bigger post – additionally she can make the mid-range shot and score on the low block with the power dribble. Over the summer she has worked the jump hook and shoots extremely well from the free throw line. Sidney Ray and Tressla Smith round out last years starting five and will look to help further Barlett’s post season push. Bartlett will be a hand full for anyone in 08-09.

Newcomer(s): add another strong combo-guard in Destiny James - little sister of Jasmine James who left middle school averaging a gaudy 28ppg. Opposing defenses will have a hard time just keying on older sis JJ.

Not only will these two teams be considered pre-season favorites in West TN - but both should garnish pre-season respect as top teams in the state!

Please see next post for PART II......

PART II - Other Top Contenders In West TN

Memphis Central – lost their go to person in Clantina Stewart (MTSU signee) but return 6’0” athlete Jamila Ajanaku (MTSU 2009 commit). Jamila can easily play four positions on the high school level but will be a wing on the college level. Don’t be surprised to see her rebound in the paint or run the point. Jasmine Taylor also has a great low block presence and outside 3pt game that will pull the post out. Jasmine Taylor will probably be Centrals best consistent offensive weapon. Erica Burgess plays the point position and is flat out explosive in transition and will defend up-n-in you from baseline to baseline.

Newcomer(s): Danielle Ballard (Lil “D”) and Aliyah Whiteside will add some transitional and perimeter play but are freshmen and neither has been tested at the AAA level. It will be interesting to see who evolves as this team’s leader and/or go to person (Clantina Stewart was Central's go to person last year during crunch time). This is a team of great players but IMO they will need to identify a leader (during crunch time) that will employ the rest of the team to get on her back to secure a close win.

White Station - lost their senior point guard and forward in Bechi Okumbawa (sp?) and Diana Olsbrook (sp?). However, White Station will have more depth then any team in the West TN area with a “host” of newcomers that are summer ball tested. The veteran leadership of White Station should come from point / shooting guard “YoYo” Katilin Murphy – she can stroke it in transition and in the half court set. YoYo is a flat out gritty player who leaves it on the floor. It’s not a good sign for the opponent if she makes her first shot. White Station’s inside work should come mainly from Chi Chi Okumbawa (sp?). She can work you on the block and drop the 12 ft jump shoot. Chi is a “tweener” and hard to guard. (Definition of “tweener” – person who has multiple skills - inside and out and their position is hard to define) She can take a smaller perimeter defender to the block and she can take a bigger block defender outside and reverse pivot and take them off the bounce (tough matchup for any opponent). These two will definitely be the go to individuals down the stretch in a close game (depending on which one is in an offensive groove).

Newcomer(s): White Station has easily landed a gold mine of talent in the freshmen and sophomore class. HOWEVER, many of them are the “exact” same position and have similar playing styles and abilities. Several of the newcomers will find themselves playing “JV” to log playing minutes as opposed to playing their sophomore season on the high school level. White Station should be very competitive for the next couple of years.

Other:

Bolton – a up and coming team, great coach and battle tested in the toughest conference in West TN (IMO) – 14AAA. Expect this team to win some games this year! Sarah Watson anchors the middle and has a host of young perimeter talent supporting her. Bolton’s success will depend heavily on their young guards who now have a year under their belts. People have continued to discount this team because they typically finish 3rd or 4th in a tough district behind Bartlett and Millington. This team should overtake Cordova this year but have a hard time with BHS and MCHS.

Overton – young and hungry team. This team could make some noise but the burning question in my mind is how they will handle poised veteran teams????. It will be hard for this team to get past White Station or Memphis Central.

Sleeper Team: Melrose /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Teams that will have to re-establish their dominance:

Memphis Northside lost everyone! “Enough said”…….

Memphis East – lost Brandi Young and K. Martin out of the starting line up. “extremely small” but return the dynamic guard combination in Adrienne Pratcher and Candis Clear.

There you have it: expert preseason West TN analysis from DuKnowDaGame? - "Don't worry - this one was free!"

*note* These are just pre-season observations - No harm intended - Good luck to all in 08-09.

I also think Lauren March wins AA Ms. Basketball this year! She can play but I won't be surprised if Lashay Davis get's it.

Lauren M. flat out plays hard..... I really like her game....

I don't know enough about her entire team to comment on how they will do this year in AA but she is going to give opposing teams the business.

Well, with me being from Gibson Co., I had no clue of who Lauren March was before the state tournaments last year. Now, I DO know who Lauren March is. She is long and athletic. Her team last year was Senior laden, I'm pretty sure. I know they return 2 starters back on this years team. That being Lauren and one of the others. If GC does make it to Murfreesboro again this year, that is one person and one team I do want to avoid until the championship. Lauren seemed to make everyone around her play alot better.